Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overoceanx View Post
Thanks, I just read in the news that is happening in America.

Lived a rich American beautiful woman, she lived in the wooden simple house, which easily penetrate the robbers. She had to think about security.

In Russia put iron doors that would not have penetrated the thieves, and on the first floor can be put iron bars.

Still, Wooden house can burn, it is dangerous to life.

Although wooden house retains heat well, if a wooden house built of thick logs, in Siberia there are wooden houses built of thick logs.

But if the house is built of thin plywood, in Russia in these homes will freeze from the cold.
Therefore, if the Russian build houses out of wood is made ​​of thick logs.
A regular suburban summer house in Russia, can be made ​​of plywood.

as in the United States.

But in America in the southern states of the heat, so you can live in such homes.
Moreover, such plywood house, afraid of storms, after the tornado, such houses can be destroyed. Americans insure their homes? Insurance mandatory?

Banks pay insurance to the people affected by the hurricane?
Concrete, stone and solid wood are very poor insulators. None would meet any building codes for energy efficiency in this country. Plywood/lumber construction provides a good bit of space for insulation. In fact, most codes try to minimize the number of studs that connect the inner and outer "shell" of the house. The wood studs are a thermal conductor and hurt the insulation value of the wall system.

As to crime...we have guns, don't need to live in a prison. Besides, outside of "inner city" metro areas, our crime rate is low enough that assaults on individual homes are very low. $500 for a firearm is less expensive than building a bunker. THough if I had to live in downtown Chicago for example, I'd be looking at a concrete company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM

27 posts, read 17,464 times
That's simply because were are afraid that concrete homes would turn America into another Russia and that fear makes us build our house out of wood, have three cars and quality of life that's way above that of an average Russian. Now, Vladimir, stop trolling and focus on fixing the Ukraine problem.

Quote:
My country house made of thick concrete, the wall thickness of the house forty centimeters, and the ground floor windows are high above the earth, that would not have climbed thieves and robbers.
My house is like a small castle.

And in the yard run two dogs.

Why Americans are careless to their own safety, I see even the rich Americans live in wooden houses.

In Russia there are only wooden houses in the villages, as well as Russian, usually builds a house of stone.

In the United States expensive housing? Therefore, many Americans live in plywood houses?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
If my choice were between a plywood house in the US and a stone/concrete house in Russia it would be USA all the way. Our real estate people have a maxim -- the three most important things are Location, location and location.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:22 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,836,840 times
Thank you for the discussion my friend. My wife lived her childhood in Poland and asks the same question. I never really had an answer, and simply said 'if we do it in America, it must be right.' Haha. So this thread was very interesting.

I hope to visit your country for the World Cup. Cheers!

Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 PM

553 posts, read 596,532 times
Quote:
Still, Wooden house can burn, it is dangerous to life.

Although wooden house retains heat well, if a wooden house built of thick logs, in Siberia there are wooden houses built of thick logs.
Wooden homes are harder to burn than you might suppose. Most roofs are covered with asbestos shingles that resist fire. Most walls have siding on the outside. Plastic siding will melt, but steel or aluminum siding do not burn--though they can get hot. The inside walls are usually drywall (also called sheet rock or gypsum board). This resists fire. The inside of the wall is filled with fiberglas insulation that also resists heat. These walls have, I'm not sure what the term is but the idea is if there's a fire in one room and a chair is leaning against the wall in another room it will take four hours for the chair to catch fire from the heat of the fire on the other side of the wall. The floor is held up by joists. These are 8" boards that are firecut on the ends. Fire cut means they're sawed at a 45 degree angle. If there's a fire it will burn through the firecut and the floor will collapse delaying its spread upstairs or containing as much damage as possible to the basement which has concrete floors and walls.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM

553 posts, read 596,532 times
Quote:

But if the house is built of thin plywood, in Russia in these homes will freeze from the cold.
Therefore, if the Russian build houses out of wood is made ​​of thick logs.
A regular suburban summer house in Russia, can be made ​​of plywood.
Most American homes are insulated to R-12. R-1 is the insulation value of 1 inch (2.5 cm) of wood, so this would be like logs 30 cm thick. If a house were insulated to R-25 we would not need a furnace because body heat alone would keep it warm as well as turning on the cookstove to fix meals. The 4 inches (10 cm) of fiberglas put between the studs of a wall have an insulation value of R-11. 1/4 inch of foam insulation is placed inside the siding to give an additional R-1.

The Democrats and the Obama Administration have encouraged even more insulation but actually this process was going on without any sort of Government push because in the long run it saves money. There are things like reflective insulation that can be placed on plywood, drywall, or any other surface and increases the insulation value. A wrap can be streached around the plywood or particle board on the outside to seal from wind. A thin sheet of foam can be added and siding placed over this.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
If I won a multi-million dollar lottery, one of the first things I would do is find a 20 acre piece of land with a good sized South-facing hill. Then I would cut into the hillside and build a concrete Earth-sheltered house. Beside it, and connected by a tunnel, would be a concrete Earth-sheltered garage/shop/generator house. The well would also be inside that garage complex.
Since I will never win said lottery (you can't win if you don't buy a ticket or three), I will have to be happy with my 3 bedroom 2 bath stick & brick house, with 6 inch outside walls and a ground-source heat pump for heating and cooling.
It works, and hasn't caught fire yet.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If I won a multi-million dollar lottery, one of the first things I would do is find a 20 acre piece of land with a good sized South-facing hill. Then I would cut into the hillside and build a concrete Earth-sheltered house. Beside it, and connected by a tunnel, would be a concrete Earth-sheltered garage/shop/generator house. The well would also be inside that garage complex.
Since I will never win said lottery (you can't win if you don't buy a ticket or three), I will have to be happy with my 3 bedroom 2 bath stick & brick house, with 6 inch outside walls and a ground-source heat pump for heating and cooling.
It works, and hasn't caught fire yet.
Or you could work hard and earn money to build what you want to build.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,229,418 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics:
This is one of my favorite types of concrete construction : concrete sandwich wall. (SCIP)
Once the panels are up, spray concrete (shotcrete) and let cure.

Very popular in Mexico.
In Mexico, as the security of homes? People hope the police or defend themselves?
Popular due to the low cost for concrete, and the tendency for people to build as much as they can afford.
Often, the Mexican house builder leaves exposed reinforcement to add on to his house.
This would not be possible in the regimented and regulated housing market in the USA.
An owner-builder would be constrained by a "building permit", building codes, passing inspections and finally getting a certificate of occupancy.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,229,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Fire cut means they're sawed at a 45 degree angle. If there's a fire it will burn through the firecut and the floor will collapse delaying its spread upstairs or containing as much damage as possible to the basement which has concrete floors and walls.
That is incorrect. A firecut is to prevent the failing floor joist from levering the wall, tipping it over, and possibly collapse the whole building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_cut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies