Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,493,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The Democratic Party platform classifies as social libertarian. Libertarianism is diverse.
The Democratic Party is a statist, illegitamate owner of the means of production.

It is as anti-libertarian as it gets.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,981,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Libertarianism (with a small "l") is not a black-and-white issue. I am a little bit libertarian, but not extreme about it. You can believe in a great amount of freedom for individuals and businesses without being an anarchist about it.
Exactly, if you tend to agree with Democrats on social issues and Republicans on fiscal issues there is a good chance you have a libertarian streak in you.

Our system of government is designed to ensure there is no sudden radical change in government. You elect libertarians and the welfare state will not disappear overnight nor will heroin be suddenly legalized.

I favor gay marriage and oppose Obamacare. That certainly disqualifies me from being a liberal or a conservative. Yes, boys and girls, you can be moderately libertarian.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM

18,348 posts, read 26,638,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
short answer-Because they have a pet theory that they believe 100% will work in practice.

Stalin also had theories of how things should work. See:
Soviet famine of 1932
Short version-it sounded good to him, and killed millions of people through starvation.

In theory....and in practice are two entirely different things.
That's one of the most absurd comparisons I've ever read on this forum.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,493,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
short answer-Because they have a pet theory that they believe 100% will work in practice.

Stalin also had theories of how things should work. See:
Soviet famine of 1932
Short version-it sounded good to him, and killed millions of people through starvation.

In theory....and in practice are two entirely different things.
No.

Death, disease, murder will occur in a libertarian society. It just won't be from the illegitimate force of an unchallengeable central power.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,675,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
You do realize if there was no government everything would be taken over by private enterprise, right? I'm not going to go as far as to say the government is our friend, but at least they are accountable to the general public on a certain level. Private enterprises aren't always bad, but their prime motivation is profit. Without a government the more unsavory corporations would be free to exploit people in any way they want. Comcast could charge you $200 a week for your Internet connection and you'd just have to pony it up or live like it's 1985.

The police would all be privatized so you'd either have amateur security guards going around and killing people on a regular basis or you would simply have mob rule and people suspected of crimes would be killed in gruesome ways by their neighbors without any trial. I'm not a huge fan of cops myself but I respect them because I know that if the average citizen was dishing out justice they would be far less forgiving and more likely to hurt innocent people.

Piracy and human trafficking would explode in prevalence due to the lack of law enforcement and child labor would become the norm since there would no longer be public schools. It would be like the old days when only rich kids were able to have an education while the rest worked in fields and factories. And all the gun nuts in right wing states would finally be able to go out and become the warlords they have fantasized about being for so long.

Oh yeah and if you're an atheist and support anarchy or libertarianism, you are inadvertently supporting religion too, since aside from private enterprise and government the most powerful organizations are religious ones. Without a welfare system poor people would be forced to rely on religious charity (and theft), and the middle class would live in gated communities ala South Africa to get away from the desperate indigent who will steal from them if it means their kids don't starve. If you think panhandlers are annoying now try dealing with 20 times more of them.

It would be the end of civil rights since nobody could enforce anti-discrimination laws and the wealth gap between the majority and the minority would only grow due to the nature of capitalism. Eventually this would lead to a race/class war as people became more and more desperate. If you think Ferguson is bad...
I think its important to have some anarchists and libertarians. Anarchists keep us free, and libertarians stop the government from getting too big.

But why do so many people support anarchy and libertarianism?

Because they are both basically republicans, libertarian candidates even take part in republican only debates. And most American anarchists and libertarians are not "true" anarchists and libertarians. Rather they are "social" groups of people being manipulated by the corporate think tanks that control these groups.

Example, libertarian corporate think tanks speak of freedom, liberty, and government being bad. They say they want to abolish the EPA and FDA in the name of small government and freedom. But in reality the think tanks want to abolish the EPA/FDA so they can no longer regulate corporations.

And they want to privatize Social security, abolish the Post Office, abolish government prisons, abolish public schools and libraries in the name of economic freedom and small government. But the think tanks true goals are to transfer the funding of those agencies to Wall Street and corporate America.

The following shows the corporate agenda of the libertarian party.
What Do the Koch Brothers Want? - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont

And the following documentary shows how corporate think tanks manipulate libertarians as if they were retarded sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oP9ZqcDv5Y

Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,981,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The Democratic Party is a statist, illegitamate owner of the means of production.

It is as anti-libertarian as it gets.

After stealing the term liberal and tainting that word they are now going after the word libertarian.

I am actually a classical liberal. The governing principle of our nation (at least as far as white men were concerned) for the first century of our existence. If that principle had been applied to all citizens we would be much better off today.

What is funny is liberals are always claiming we would be under the tyranny of corporations if not for the state. They are too stupid to realize corporations are a creation of the state.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM

35,341 posts, read 31,764,507 times
I don't know. Maybe the:

1) Militarized police 2) Taxation without seeing uses for the money 3) Partisan bickering 4) Gridlock 5) Incompetence when any work does get done 6) Overreach and about 1291 more things all have something to do with it.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,004,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't know. Maybe the:

1) Militarized police 2) Taxation without seeing uses for the money 3) Partisan bickering 4) Gridlock 5) Incompetence when any work does get done 6) Overreach and about 1291 more things all have something to do with it.
So you are saying you would rather corporate rule or a military dictatorship over a democratic government?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 7,002,555 times
Quote:
You do realize if there was no government everything would be taken over by private enterprise, right?
Of course I don't realize such a thing. It's absurdly silly.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 7,002,555 times
Quote:
So you are saying you would rather corporate rule or a military dictatorship over a democratic government?
The premise was "no government".

If there is no government, there is no private enterprise, since property rights are a feature of government. Further, if there is no government, there is no military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies