Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM

860 posts, read 1,338,900 times

Advertisements

Oh come on. As long as it's fiction who cares? Why is it everyone has a problem with fictional work but don't care about Mark Foley and other predators like Michael Jackson being let go? Jackson's now relocated to Bahrain, no longer under US jurisdiction and watchful eye. Why not care about that instead of a book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 11:00 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Oh come on. As long as it's fiction who cares? Why is it everyone has a problem with fictional work but don't care about Mark Foley and other predators like Michael Jackson being let go? Jackson's now relocated to Bahrain, no longer under US jurisdiction and watchful eye. Why not care about that instead of a book?
I'm not one that approves of Foley or Michael Jackson. Jackson is beyond sick and is an absolute embarrassment to humans every where. In Bahrain? good reddens, and thank God he's out of my country, I hope for good!

"Oh come on. As long as it's fiction who cares?" Many should care this is the problem--let's make everything ok! This is why America is so messed up! We should care at what is sick presented as something ok.!

Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,267 times
As a Virginia voter, I find George Allen's attempts at using fictional literature written by Jim Webb as a sort of character assasination to be extremely insulting to the intelligence of Virginians, assuming that we are unable to differentiate between creative works of fiction and reality. That seems to be the consensus of the majority of people here as Webb's number in the polls have now risen to eclipse Allen's in the past several days since this issue has been dredged up. Allen is his own worst enemy. His campaign has made misstep after misstep and this is just the latest and perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back as this attack in particular is coming across as both desperate and pathetic, and rightfully so.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
As a Virginia voter, I find George Allen's attempts at using fictional literature written by Jim Webb as a sort of character assasination to be extremely insulting to the intelligence of Virginians, assuming that we are unable to differentiate between creative works of fiction and reality. That seems to be the consensus of the majority of people here as Webb's number in the polls have now risen to eclipse Allen's in the past several days since this issue has been dredged up. Allen is his own worst enemy. His campaign has made misstep after misstep and this is just the latest and perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back as this attack in particular is coming across as both desperate and pathetic, and rightfully so.
His "crowd" (staff? people?) shoving a too-inquisitive questioner to the floor of a hotel lobby today isn't helping either, I'm sure. How do people go through life treating people so disrespectfully and get the power and prestige that they do? Boggles the mind.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
His "crowd" (staff? people?) shoving a too-inquisitive questioner to the floor of a hotel lobby today isn't helping either, I'm sure. How do people go through life treating people so disrespectfully and get the power and prestige that they do? Boggles the mind.
I just saw that on the news and was shocked by it. I'm not sure of the specifics of the situation regarding that protester in particular given his history with the Allen campaign, nor of who it was that was the first to throw down (that old bald man I don't believe was a security guard or bodyguard but rather just a member of his staff), but it certainly looked like an extreme overreaction from the Allen camp rather than a matter of self-defense, and wasn't the wisest course of action. From the looks of things, this man while antagonistic, was assaulted by a member of his campaign staff, on camera nonetheless! Do they really want a lawsuit from this guy on top of everything?

Old 11-04-2006, 06:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post

That's some wild and disturbing writing especially what he wrote about the little boy and his father. If he was a Republican I'd never vote for him. If I found out John Kyle wrote something like that he'd never get my vote. Someone that has these thoughts and says what that father did to his son is not a sex act worries me greatly. I certainly can't get past that, but he is not my Senator. Anything passes for creative writing these days, even the acceptance of oral sex between father and son, but we are told it is not a sex act by Webb. If you guys don't mind a disturbed individual as a Senator be sure and cast your vote for him. That I believe is pathetic but what do I know? I am not part of the elite intelligencia in Virginia.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
... I certainly can't get past that, but he is not my Senator. Anything passes for creative writing these days, even the acceptance of oral sex between father and son, but we are told it is not a sex act by Webb....
I can't believe people are actually defending this guy or worse defending and making excuses for this deviant perverted amoral wicked writings! There are truly some twisted folks in this country!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 PM

311 posts, read 618,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I can't believe people are actually defending this guy or worse defending and making excuses for this deviant perverted amoral wicked writings! There are truly some twisted folks in this country!
I agree!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,525 times
I personally would not vote for someone who wrote that trash, fictional or not..

Is this what happens when you have $$ and power? You dream of incest, touching little boys...stealing more money..

Maybe the playing field should be leveled a bit better so middle class America can start getting into the political game..lets start with campaign $$$ reform...

It seems like every state is dealing with some form of corruption or scandal. Scary!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

Nice to see you out there Marks I've been feeling alone. I was starting to think it was ok to write about this type of relationship between a boy and his dad and call it creative writing.

Maybe if Webb would have just come outagainst his own writings since they are old, we may have had some respect for him, but saying that is not a sex act makes me worry about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies