Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM

26,670 posts, read 13,919,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Many, many weight loss cures have been pushed over the years as "Miracle Cures."

None of them are.

For weight loss or maintenance, nothing trumps moderating diet, portion control and nominal exercise. For the rest of us--and for the very, very few who suffer from a metabolic disorder and need surgical or medical intervention, green coffee beans or other miracle cures will not do the trick.

But these miracle cures are a multi-billion dollar industry and are making some very weathy (including Dr. Oz quite likely)--even if they don't work. And his pushing these cures are losing him respect as these postings prove.
I absolutely agree that these "weight loss cures" are definitely not miracle drugs and that people get duped because they want so desperately believe and have a quick and easy fix. I just wonder because there are so many diet drugs out there, some that are dangerous and some that are even FDA approved (and dangerous). I don't get why the focus is on Dr. Oz since he isn't actually selling any products. He is informing the public in a flamboyant manner about something that *might* aid in weight loss which is just what I'd expect from a TV talk show host doctor.

Last edited by MissTerri; 06-19-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 04:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,151,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I watched the hearing on C-SPAN (and didn't read any articles about it). He testified that he has never sold any products and that he spent a fortune going after the companies (cease & desist orders) who stole his photos and his quotes from the shows. He said as soon as one would close down, another would pop up. Many use social media marketing & affiliates, so they are hard to track down.

He says he ends every show now telling his viewers that he does not sell or endorse any products, so don't buy anything with his name attached.

He said he regrets some of his choices of words (miracle, etc), but his intention was to share research on items that may help someone who has given up hope to lose weight and this supplement/food would help them jump start their program.

He certainly surprised the committee when they wanted to know if he was sorry he promoted these items - he said he did believe they were helpful based on extensive research - some products used in other parts of the world may help others here.

He also said now he regrets not pointing people to specific products & manufacturers, because some of the scammers are not even using enough of the suggested ingredients to provide a benefit to the user. He didn't before because he didn't want to be seen as someone pushing products.
Exactly.....jump start. I don't believe he ever said you can continue to eat whatever you want, sit on the couch, take a supplement and lose weight.........but people still go there.

I do believe some supplements may aid in weight loss, but one shoe does not fit all. Just as with high blood pressure, and many other kinds of meds, not everyone gets the same result. I worked with a woman who went through several high blood pressure meds before they found one that worked well for her.

I also believe Oz when he says he hasn't endorsed a specific company that sells a supplement.....it would just be too easy to prove if he was.

I wish he would endorse specific companies that he has researched and determined sell an honest product.

I don't want supplements regulated in any way, other than requiring that the product actually contains what it says on the label. If the label says each capsule contains 1000mg., it should contain 1000mg., not 750mg. I do wish the government would police that.

Do I want Dr. Oz to continue to give out information on alternatives and supplements? YES, but he needs to make sure people understand that everything does not work for everyone.

Over the years, I have tried different supplemenst for different things, some worked, some didn't. What worked for me may not work for you.

I still want someone like Dr. Oz to give me a heads up on what MIGHT work. I want that information, then it is up to me to decide if I want to try it. I just want to actually get what I pay for. I am smart enough to know that whatever it is, it may not work for me.

When I decided to try the magnesium to see if it would lower my blood pressure, I knew damn well that it might not work, but it was worth a try. I was lucky, it worked, but if it hadn't, I wouldn't have blamed Dr. Oz.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 PM

8,639 posts, read 7,074,349 times
Dr Oz must make some big bucks from his show. I was surfing the TV channels in Singapore recently and there he was. He's on five days a week in the mid morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.