Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,958,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
it's an elective, don't want to take it? problem solved, they had it when I went to school, i never took it so whats the big deal?
One, the big deal is whether the course is a STUDY of a religion, or if the course is a PROMOTION of a religion. Mr Green, who is funding it, PROMOTES religion. So that's one concern.

Two, public schools are peer pressure cookers. While the function of schools is to educate students, students develop more than their minds in school. They develop their social identities and personalities there as well. If this course develops an exclusive character, like cheerleading and athletic organizations sometimes do, it can end up promoting a theology rather than promoting an objective study of that theology. So the school is obligated to monitor that aspect of its course offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM

702 posts, read 728,494 times
Also, maybe they should use their limited funds to offer an elective that will help students in college.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,887,056 times
The biggest deterrent of Christianity or religion for me was the bible. After I read it with an open mind, I realized it was improbable on a historical, moral, archaeological, and social level. Today's students are more sophisticated. Mr. Green's intent with this may backfire when these students come to this same conclusion.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,059,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
it's an elective, don't want to take it? problem solved, they had it when I went to school, i never took it so whats the big deal?
Technical promotion of one religion over other.

Add in history of bible to a broader religious history elective, not so much of an issue.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,070,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes religion is a part of history, many religions in addition to Christianity are a part of history but there is a need to devote one course to the history of the bible, in the bible belt no less.
How do you decide whether or not there is a need?

Here is Harrier's method: if students enroll in the class then there was a need - if they don't then the course can be rightfully dropped as an economic drain on the school district.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,384,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How do you decide whether or not there is a need?

Here is Harrier's method: if students enroll in the class then there was a need - if they don't then the course can be rightfully dropped as an economic drain on the school district.
So if students choose a course in how to manage your smart phone there is a need because it's popular. If you read the article the PTA had issues with the course, seems like funding a language class or advanced placement class in science would be a better choice for electives. Teaching students in the bible belt about Christianity is like teaching 7 footers how to dunk a basketball.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I took a comparative religion course as an elective in high school.

So I don't have an issue with religiously based electives, but I would worry that kids who don't take it may be bullied or pressured to do so by teachers and administrators.

I also would rather have like a comparative religion course. I had not learned much about many lesser known religious practices until taking that class and it was very informative in regards to the history of religion and I think a lot of high school students, even Christians would enjoy such a course.
That's a separate issue.

Quote:
Teaching the Bible history, I understand this is done at the college level but this does not belong in public high schools. I don't agree with it to begin with but a even a bible history course could go in a number of directions, especially being developed by Steve Green.
It's done in high schools now.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,833,752 times
Quote:
They should not be teaching the bible in public schools.
We'll see how consistent the liberals are --- since the Muslims are getting all kinds of Islamic books into the schools and even having Islam taught to all students, will liberals have the same tolerance or even encouragement of Christianity?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,070,406 times
Quote:
Teaching students in the bible belt about Christianity is like teaching 7 footers how to dunk a basketball.
The difference is that the history of a religion(or a book affiliated with a religion) is a subject broad enough to be worthy of a class, whereas dunking is a skill that can be taught within a general P.E. class, or in a basketball program.

7 footers who want to play basketball are going to join the B-ball team(an elective) and students that want to learn about the history of the Bible are going to take the Bible history class.

Harrier disagrees that just because a state is in the "Bible belt" that the class is "redundant".

Not everyone who lives in Oklahoma is familiar with the Bible, and those who do attend a church may not be versed in the history of the Bible, because a church isn't necessarily going to teach that history.

Harrier has taught Sunday School and he would like to take a Bible history class.

You are making some unfounded assumptions - and your position, if enacted, would have the effect of limiting knowledge.

Schools are in the business of imparting knowledge, not suppressing it to those who seek to learn.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,384,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The difference is that the history of a religion(or a book affiliated with a religion) is a subject broad enough to be worthy of a class, whereas dunking is a skill that can be taught within a general P.E. class, or in a basketball program.

7 footers who want to play basketball are going to join the B-ball team(an elective) and students that want to learn about the history of the Bible are going to take the Bible history class.

Harrier disagrees that just because a state is in the "Bible belt" that the class is "redundant".

Not everyone who lives in Oklahoma is familiar with the Bible, and those who do attend a church may not be versed in the history of the Bible, because a church isn't necessarily going to teach that history.

Harrier has taught Sunday School and he would like to take a Bible history class.

You are making some unfounded assumptions - and your position, if enacted, would have the effect of limiting knowledge.

Schools are in the business of imparting knowledge, not suppressing it to those who seek to learn.
Religion is important as a part of any history class, providing a singular class to teach one scripture is over the top. I question that this is not redundant in that geographic location and the background of students that choose this as an elective, teaching Christian history to Christian students would be redundant. All for increasing knowledge just not in this fashion.

Would Harrier sign up for a Buddhist or Islamic class as an elective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies