Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

On Jan. 1, 2008 the last remaining tariff barriers permitted under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) are slated to fall. Corn and beans were given the longest (15 years) liberalization schedule because they are at the core of Mexican culture and subsistence. Other key products—including sugar, milk, and chicken, which had formerly been regulated under a safeguard agreement to protect Mexican production, are also included.

The tariff removal ostensibly gives full rein to an open-market trade and investment regime between the United States and Mexico. The idea is that all products now enter into a competitive market that will self-regulate to enhance production, efficiency, investment, and, indirectly, the lives of Mexican producers and consumers.

IRC Americas Program | NAFTA Free Trade Myths Lead to Farm Failure in Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 AM

430 posts, read 1,394,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
On Jan. 1, 2008 the last remaining tariff barriers permitted under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) are slated to fall. Corn and beans were given the longest (15 years) liberalization schedule because they are at the core of Mexican culture and subsistence. Other key products—including sugar, milk, and chicken, which had formerly been regulated under a safeguard agreement to protect Mexican production, are also included.

The tariff removal ostensibly gives full rein to an open-market trade and investment regime between the United States and Mexico. The idea is that all products now enter into a competitive market that will self-regulate to enhance production, efficiency, investment, and, indirectly, the lives of Mexican producers and consumers.

IRC Americas Program | NAFTA Free Trade Myths Lead to Farm Failure in Mexico
Great article!

-This also contributes greatly to illegal immigrtion, too-which I wish more people would think about-!!!

I say abolish NAFTA-!!!

-Emil.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,493,607 times
Well, the current 'free-market' model pits Mexican peasant farmers against a few giant American corporations that are heavily subsidized by the American taxpayer. Does that sound like free trade to you? Essentially, your tax dollars are being used to force Mexican farmers off the land and onto the road north looking for work. Those whom the small-minded like to call "illegal aliens" are here because we have asked them to come. Giant ag subsidies have been part of that invitation. The same effects of course are felt in many other countries. We are fortunate in one sense that we do not share a long and rather porous border with any of them...

Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,799,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, the current 'free-market' model pits Mexican peasant farmers against a few giant American corporations that are heavily subsidized by the American taxpayer. Does that sound like free trade to you? Essentially, your tax dollars are being used to force Mexican farmers off the land and onto the road north looking for work. Those whom the small-minded like to call "illegal aliens" are here because we have asked them to come. Giant ag subsidies have been part of that invitation. The same effects of course are felt in many other countries. We are fortunate in one sense that we do not share a long and rather porous border with any of them...
sag, very nicely phrased, thank you. But- if after we force them off their lands because they can't compete with the artificially lowered imported food we ship over there from our agricultural mechanized combines, shoudn't they grab their pitchforks and over throw their government in protest? If they come up here, that would be breaking the law, after all...and they would be uninvited guests....

Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Sorry I don't feel bad for them. A lot of manufacturing jobs went south due to Nafta... ie Many americans lost their jobs.. Glad to see Mexico might get a chance to taste some of that medicine. Nafta only helped Mexico and then they outsourced alot of it to China anyway. GOOD for them.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Those whom the small-minded like to call "illegal aliens"
lol, what would you prefer to call people who knowingly break the law? Oh yeah, "undocumented" workers. The "undocumented" part is why they are "illegal". Some people just prefer to ignore the connection.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,799,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
lol, what would you prefer to call people who knowingly break the law? Oh yeah, "undocumented" workers. The "undocumented" part is why they are "illegal". Some people just prefer to ignore the connection.
Some people ignore the connection that major employers are happy to give them jobs here too. All over the Place. Big Businesses, Small businesses, and inidividuals like Mitch Romney to cut his grass. And that our government listens to all these businesses when planning immigration strategies.

Nope, nobody to blame here at all except the poor brown people.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Some people ignore the connection that major employers are happy to give them jobs here too. All over the Place. Big Businesses, Small businesses, and inidividuals like Mitch Romney to cut his grass. And that our government listens to all these businesses when planning immigration strategies.

Nope, nobody to blame here at all except the poor brown people.
Oh, believe me. I consider any business who knowingly hires illegal immigrants to be illegal businesses. They should be first on the list of people to crack down on and I would prefer fines hefty enough that 2 or 3 violations would shut the doors on a business. However, I don't feel that big businesses being crooked automatically releases illegal immigrants from being "illegal" in being here.

I am 100% for Mexicans and other hispanic immigrants coming here for work. I just want it done legally and we need a lot of policy changes unless we are just going to open the borders and give up.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Sorry I don't feel bad for them. A lot of manufacturing jobs went south due to Nafta... ie Many americans lost their jobs.. Glad to see Mexico might get a chance to taste some of that medicine. Nafta only helped Mexico and then they outsourced alot of it to China anyway. GOOD for them.
IMO NAFTA was good for most of the wealthy and many of the upper middle class in BOTH the United states AND in Mexico, -but was ultimately BAD for most of the working class and poor and small farmers in both countries. -U.S. farm subsidies also HURT small family farmers in the U.S., who mostly are not among those that receave them. That combined with the terms of NAFTA, -definately NOT "free" trade, -is turning out to be a didaster for far more people then it benifits. -Ah, but isn't that the point?

This a class issue more then anything,but great for divide and conqore.

-Emil.

Last edited by bigtallredhead; 12-06-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Default This is a class issue, not U.S, verses Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Oh, believe me. I consider any business who knowingly hires illegal immigrants to be illegal businesses. They should be first on the list of people to crack down on and I would prefer fines hefty enough that 2 or 3 violations would shut the doors on a business. However, I don't feel that big businesses being crooked automatically releases illegal immigrants from being "illegal" in being here.

I am 100% for Mexicans and other hispanic immigrants coming here for work. I just want it done legally and we need a lot of policy changes unless we are just going to open the borders and give up.
Me also up to a point. -And I think NAFTA should be abolished.

But, I also think high levils of immigration actualy tend's to encrease ethnic prejudice. -We would need to make other adustments to how we do things if we had fewer immigrants, but I am sure that can be done. -Many parts of the country and people are good examples of that.

-I do suport a legalization program for the undumented (I think enforcment only is unworkable.), but I ALSO a manditory employee legal status verification program, and also REDUCED legal immigration to the U.S.

-I call myself pro immigrant, but anti mass immigration-!!! -I will NOT be writing anymore about immigration on this thread, however.

Peace, -Emil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies