Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,224,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ROFL..Whites will move in because TJ's opened a store ?
Is that all it takes for "gentrification" to happen ?
You laugh as if gentrification is a foreign concept. In well populated cities (and Portland qualifies), this is not an improbability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,506,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Are you black?
Are you familiar with black people?

The idea that you think black people sit around and teach their children about evil white people is laughable. My parents taught me no such thing, but I will say that it's pretty easy to see the destruction and disease that has been caused through the actions of past sadistic people. It's called History 101.

Sadistic people in general, or one group of people in particular?

Something tells me your version of history is less than a true global and historical perspective. Such is the real problem with American history classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ya don't want no white people moving in. There goes the neighborhood.
You say this facetiously, but it's true. It's interesting how whites don't want blacks in their neighborhoods, yet they're amazed when blacks have the same viewpoint. I guess segregation is only good when you personally want it, eh?

53,582 posts, read 35,330,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL.."Head for the hills, the Whites are coming"
why is it considered desirable for blacks to fight to retain a segregated 'oppressed' neighborhood?
i don't get it

Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,824,529 times
Quote:
You laugh as if gentrification is a foreign concept. In well populated cities (and Portland qualifies), this is not an improbability.
It's usually potential RE value increases that drive gentrification.
Is that all it takes in Portland is a TJ opening in the neighborhood ?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,506,505 times
Quote:
You say this facetiously, but it's true. It's interesting how whites don't want blacks in their neighborhoods, yet they're amazed when blacks have the same viewpoint. I guess segregation is only good when you personally want it, eh?

The concept is turned right back around on you, I'm afraid, only in reverse.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM

53,582 posts, read 35,330,905 times
Quote:
pot/kettle/black much?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So? Gentrifiers, especially younger generational professional ones, are increasingly a diverse bunch. I'm actually all for gentrification. It is sad that people get priced out of where they live, but it's also sad when people who live somewhere watch their neighborhood they love DEVOLVE in property values when people move in that no longer care for an area.

Would you similarly shed tears for people who would be upset that a certain type of store would attract black folks into their neighborhood, and they are afraid blacks would "take over" their neighborhood, so they worked to keep that store out?

I really don't think you would.
I'm NOT for gentrification (as you can probably tell). It dilutes culturally-rich neighborhoods and turns vibrant cities into suburban blandness. While property deterioration is a problem, pricing life-long residents out of their homes is never a good thing, IMO, so gentrification comes at too high a cost. Not to mention that the problems in those neighborhoods are never truly solved, but rather moved to another area of the city/state.

I can't imagine a store that would open in a predominately white neighborhood that would interest black people enough to want to live there. Contrary to popular belief, many black people prefer to live in their own communities and around their own people. Unfortunately, these neighborhoods tend to be city/urban areas and many white people are wising up to the desirability to be in these areas and are pushing black people to the outskirts of the city.

35,879 posts, read 77,771,851 times
Quote:
Any majority-black area that peaks the interest of white people is doomed to then become a predominately white (and overpriced) neighborhood. TJ's is a trendy place to buy groceries, but many white folks love it and will flock to the area in droves, displacing the residents of the neighborhoods.
So is "non-oppressed populations" the new code phrase for "white gentification?"

86,052 posts, read 84,824,529 times
That area is already undergoing gentrification from what I just read.
Now I understand why TJ's wants to build there.

That areas is one of the most quickest gentrifying areas of the country right now.
They are fighting a losing battle here.

I'm seeing the very same happen in Austin.
With nowhere else to go the newcomers are taking over these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies