Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,914,076 times

Advertisements

I'd have to do a bit more digging down to see the implications of this, but what if we taxed operating cash flows of corporations, net of cash from investing activities in the US at a low rate? I really can't think of very many loopholes or ways around this since most businesses wouldn't want to do whatever possible to lower their cash flows to avoid a tax bill, that would be a really big mistake since ultimately "Cash is king." If you've been sustaining a net loss for 10 years and avoiding taxes, but still have a very good cash position year after year, most people "in the know" won't give it a second thought.

For the non business people on here, operating cash flows is the actual cold hard cash that your company gets as a result of your normal business operations, this is not "income." Cash from investing activities is typically the cash that goes out to invest in things like equipment, plants, machines, etc.
What we could do is any "investing" that goes on within US borders would be allowed to be netted against operating cash flows for operations world wide. I also wouldn't be opposed to being allowed to deduct depreciation from capital assets either.

It might need to be changed up a bit, but thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,423,477 times
I'd think it would have too high of a burden in tracking it all, and that it would end up being gamed.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,468,533 times
Not to be insulting, but can we have a brainstorming session with someone who understands even basic accounting?

Since things like this statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I also wouldn't be opposed to being allowed to deduct depreciation from capital assets either.
...show a complete ignorance of current tax law and accounting. As you already can deduct the cost of a capital asset by depreciating it every year (included is a link to the IRS explanation on depreciation). It's impossible to have a discussion about changes, and the effects, of what that person wants to make when that person doesn't know or understand what is in place now.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM

13,310 posts, read 7,890,823 times
A gross transactions tax on corporate asset purchases?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Not to be insulting, but can we have a brainstorming session with someone who understands even basic accounting?

Since things like this statement...

...show a complete ignorance of current tax law and accounting. As you already can deduct the cost of a capital asset by depreciating it every year (included is a link to the IRS explanation on depreciation). It's impossible to have a discussion about changes, and the effects, of what that person wants to make when that person doesn't know or understand what is in place now.
No you can't. But I'm a CPA licensed in two states. Based on your response, you did not understand what I said at all. I'm well aware you can deduct depreciation. There was nothing in my original post that indicated that I didn't know that. If you've ever done a statement of cash flow, which I have done, you would know that you add Depreciation back to net income when calculating operating cash flows, since depreciation isn't a cash item. What I was saying, is that under a cash flow model, you would be able to exclude depreciation for tax purposes, so that your operating cash flow is lower.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,255,128 times
Raise the tax on products produced abroad and imported back into the United states. I would also end China's most favored Nation Status along with NAFTA.
Allow industry to compete here at home and unemployment will decrease. Jobs that pay more than a min wage will be produced and you have your cash cow.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
No you can't. But I'm a CPA licensed in two states. Based on your response, you did not understand what I said at all. I'm well aware you can deduct depreciation. There was nothing in my original post that indicated that I didn't know that. If you've ever done a statement of cash flow, which I have done, you would know that you add Depreciation back to net income when calculating operating cash flows, since depreciation isn't a cash item. What I was saying, is that under a cash flow model, you would be able to exclude depreciation for tax purposes, so that your operating cash flow is lower.
Uh huh, sure...and I am an astronaut with 3 PhD's that lives on Mars.

That's the great thing about the interent, you can say whatever you want to be.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,423,477 times
Quote:
Wow, this has escalated quickly.....

Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:

That's the great thing about the interent, you can say whatever you want to be.
Just like in your case, where you claim to know what you're talking about.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Just like in your case, where you claim to know what you're talking about.
Yeah, can you find where I claim that and I try to bully people with an argument from authority? I am a human being, just a fallible as everyone else. I don't, however, attempt to bully people with the argument from authority therefore don't question what I have to say.

Just like your other claims I can find no evidence it exists. Good job making things up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies