Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM

414 posts, read 533,721 times

Advertisements

Would it help to raise single parent families out of poverty by allowing them to enter into a legally recognized plural marraige? What if the 30% of inner city males who do the right thing and are a father to their children be allowed to marry at least one other single female with children? Right now there are about 70% of those single women with no father for their kids on all kinds of Gov benefits. If they lived with and created an expanded family then they could live under one roof which saves money. Also one of the wives could stay home with the kids while the other one went to school and/or got a job. The kids would not be coming home to an empty unsupervised house. You could take it a step further and say the same could be allowed for gays and lesbians to be in a legal expanded family. The goal is to provide a loving enviornment for the children which is all but impossible in a single parent household. Yes, it can be done but it usually comes at a cost to the taxpayers and in most (not all) cases less advantages for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Hmmm.....

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Government benefits apply to families and to gays and lesbians.

The problem is, and I did do work reading the files, it's a passed down way of life. More chances than not, a child raised on welfare, will become a welfare recipricant. More chances than not, a welfare child whose mother gave birth in high school, will become pregnant herself.

Government benefits already recognize families -it is women and men who shack up with a welfare recipricant that is against the law and removal of benefits.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
If that was a good idea, people would be doing it already without benefit of a legal marriage. Why should inner city women sacrifice their dignity by 'sharing' a man with another woman?

And there are plenty of poor families living with extended family with multiple adults in the household. All perfectly legal. Grandma or aunt will watch the kids while someone works.

sorry, you didn't invent this concept.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Women do not need a "husband" to support them. What a strange, sexist and antiquated idea... that only a man can bring women out of poverty!

What is actually needed is high-quality, affordable day care, a higher minimum wage and more work-life solutions like job sharing.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Given the current rate of unemployment, underemployment, and wage stagnation, a single mom would require two guys to support her. That's the more practical type of plural marriage.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM

414 posts, read 533,721 times
I didn`t invent it. I lived it long ago. Back then you were embarressed to be on the Gov. dole. Nowadays it`s a way of life. If the woman had "dignity" she wouldn`t have 3 or 4 kids with none of the fathers in the picture. It might give her some to go to school or get a job. Right now unless the mutiple adults are related they are not "legal". Are they all collecting food stamps at the same address?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
I didn`t invent it. I lived it long ago. Back then you were embarressed to be on the Gov. dole. Nowadays it`s a way of life. If the woman had "dignity" she wouldn`t have 3 or 4 kids with none of the fathers in the picture. It might give her some to go to school or get a job. Right now unless the mutiple adults are related they are not "legal". Are they all collecting food stamps at the same address?
Perhaps you could elect someone who would force these "undignified" women to marry so they do not trouble or embarrass you further.

I am also curious if you know anything about human reproduction. Women are not randomly getting pregnant without "fathers" to help them. Maybe these men should be shamed for leaving and not the women for doing what comes naturally during the childbearing years.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Leaving aside some of the gender bashing included, it's an interesting idea where a marriage could consist of more than one woman and/or man, you could have 2 men and 2 women forming a family unit, or 3 women.

It would be easier financially, but I cannot imagine the amount of friction that could ensue.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Leaving aside some of the gender bashing included, it's an interesting idea where a marriage could consist of more than one woman and/or man, you could have 2 men and 2 women forming a family unit, or 3 women.

It would be easier financially, but I cannot imagine the amount of friction that could ensue.
I actually know of a man who has his ex wife and children by her living in one side of a house and his current wife and their children in another house and the houses are connected. He had it specially constructed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies