Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please don't get sidetracked by arguing about Facebook or Christianity or liberal vs conservative - the bigger question in this true story is this - "Why isn't tolerance enough for some people?" It seems that for many people, the idea of "tolerance" itself is offensive - which often translates into a marked lack of tolerance on THEIR part.

..... (insert your own jerk here)...

Now - I think that people of all sorts of "labels" can be this intolerant - not just liberals, or atheists, or conservatives, or fundamentalist Christians, etc etc.

You know what - tolerance isn't enough apparently for some people. It's not enough to be gracious, polite, kind, or respectful of the opinions of others. Nope. With some people, the only thing they can stomach is that you CHANGE YOUR OPINION OR PHILOSOPHY OR RELIGIOUS VIEWS and nothing less will do.

The hypocrisy amazes me.

Anyone else experience anything similar or run across this mindset lately?
Please, as I stated in the OP, it's not a matter of conservative vs liberal, or Christian vs atheist - it's a question of tolerance and respect that is disregarded by many people with a wide range of viewpoints.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I share the same feeling.

I can cite numerous liberals here and their intolerance and bigotry. It's my liberal way or no way.

I have never had a rational and calm conversation with a liberal. Name calling starts right after I tell them I have a different opinion.
It goes both ways. I'm pretty tolerant except when I run into people defending the confederate flag, claiming blacks voted for Obama only because he is black, and when people spew their racist agenda using lies to justify it. I'm pretty moderate otherwise...

Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It goes both ways. I'm pretty tolerant except when I run into people defending the confederate flag, claiming blacks voted for Obama only because he is black, and when people spew their racist agenda using lies to justify it. I'm pretty moderate otherwise...
But Blacks did vote for Obama BECAUSE he is black. That's just a fact. 93% of blacks voted for Obama.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/thene...ction-20121109

One can't even point out a simple fact? You have to call them names just because they point out a fact?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I support their right to free speech and their right to act stupid. It's best not to pay those fools any mind, as they're nothing but attention whores, and personally most of them use a lot of group think and collectivism and can't think for themselves either! On the other hand, if their free speech leads to acts of violence, then HELL NO!!! That is where the line is drawn. Other than that, let them spew all of the crap they want. Most Americans regardless of ideology don't feel the way those groups do, and want no part of them. When nobody is listening, then their words have no power.
But when someone says, oh, I don't know, "Obama couldn't have gotten into Columbia and Harvard because he's black and blacks aren't smart enough to go to those schools without affirmative action," do you keep your mouth shut about such blatant bigotry, because they have a right to say whatever they like, or do you stand up for … tolerance?

Also, let's remind ourselves YET AGAIN, that freedom of speech applies ONLY to government censorship. If I don't like what you say to me, I'm perfectly free to say you're a bigot and to get the hell out of my house or whatever. If that's intolerant, so be it.

One thing I know for an absolute certainty: Racism and bigotry is much more socially acceptable in America today, because the bigots have figured out how to call anyone who calls them out "intolerant." And because the media is so spineless that it allows people to say all kinds of vicious things about women, gays, and especially the black guy in the White House … in an effort to be "tolerant." And people with the old "live and let live" attitude don't stand up for what's right, because they don't want to be thought of as "intolerant."

The right has always had a knack for co-opting words and turning them into an advantage. "Intolerant" is just the latest example. I'm old enough to remember when "liberal" was just another word, and to also remember watching as it became a swear word and an insult in the hands of people like Karl Rove and Lee Atwater.

I'm also old enough to know that NO ONE would have dreamed back in the '80s or '90s of saying some of the stuff that is said about President Obama.

After the 1960s, we gradually became more civil and less bigoted. That turned around starting in Jan. 21, 2009.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
But Blacks did vote for Obama BECAUSE he is black. That's just a fact. 93% of blacks voted for Obama.

10 Amazing Demographic Percentages of the 2012 Election - NationalJournal.com
Yeah & there are whites who didn't vote for him specifically because he's black. There are whites who vote for white candidates because they're white. And?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Yeah & there are whites who didn't vote for him specifically because he's black. There are whites who vote for white candidates because they're white. And?
Blacks are more racist than white. That's what the data tells us.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Blacks are more racist than white. That's what the data tells us.
LOL, ah. Of course.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
But when someone says, oh, I don't know, "Obama couldn't have gotten into Columbia and Harvard because he's black and blacks aren't smart enough to go to those schools without affirmative action," do you keep your mouth shut about such blatant bigotry, because they have a right to say whatever they like, or do you stand up for … tolerance?

Also, let's remind ourselves YET AGAIN, that freedom of speech applies ONLY to government censorship. If I don't like what you say to me, I'm perfectly free to say you're a bigot and to get the hell out of my house or whatever. If that's intolerant, so be it.

One thing I know for an absolute certainty: Racism and bigotry is much more socially acceptable in America today, because the bigots have figured out how to call anyone who calls them out "intolerant." And because the media is so spineless that it allows people to say all kinds of vicious things about women, gays, and especially the black guy in the White House … in an effort to be "tolerant."

I'm old enough to know that NO ONE would have dreamed back in the '80s or '90s of saying some of the stuff that is said about President Obama.

After the 1960s, we gradually became more civil and less bigoted. That turned around staring in Jan. 21, 2009.

Show us the evidence that Obama got into Columbia and Hardvard not because of affirmative action. His score would do.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:

10 Amazing Demographic Percentages of the 2012 Election - NationalJournal.com

One can't even point out a simple fact? You have to call them names just because they point out a fact?
How do you know that they voted for Obama only because he was black?
83% voted for Clinton in his first term and 84% in his second. Did they vote for Clinton because he was black too?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
LOL, ah. Of course.
What does the data tell you?

Look at the voting from the white, 39% for Obama. I guess that's racism, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies