Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 03:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,597,816 times

Advertisements

I wish all a Merry Christmas and to our conservative friends on here, Happy Holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 04:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Thanks for the obnoxious anonymous rep comment that said "Merry CHRISTmas" to a Jewish person.

*slow applause*

Old 12-24-2013, 04:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkarr View Post
At least US government favors Christianity over all other religions which is a big plus to consider America a Christian nation.....
We're actually shifting away from that preference. There's many reasons as to why not to consider America a Christian nation.

1. The founding fathers did not want that.
2. We are welcoming of all people and should practice in a manner that respects them all.
3. Christianity is not more important that other views.
4. We want to be a smart nation and educated nation and statistically, that does not align with religion (primarily christianity)

Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,290,039 times
Hope you all are enjoying your day today. That's all your going to get from me We just had a marathon prepping/cooking day and have 30 minutes before we have to start moving things in and out of ovens and raising/lowering temperatures. My goal is that everything comes out mostly cooked before company comes over.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,293,552 times
Quote:
Not a national holiday

Merry Christmas.....
Doesn't matter. The 25th is the day which stands for all the rebirth holidays. And I had a nice Yule. Will go to visit a relative on the *social* holiday tomorrow. And what is called 'christmas' is all stolen from pagan sources, often at the point of a sword.

If your christan, go to church tomorrow. Santa and presents are from the Norse Yule celebration. Odin rewarded children who were good with gifts and the tree stood for the the return of spring with the solstice.

Happy Yule and may your tree be beautiful.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,293,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Then how about you time travel back to the first centuries AD when it really happened. It would be a dream for you.
Make sure to include the time after for political advantage Christianity was made the official religion and those who did not wish to were tortured and killed for the refusal. This was repeated in Europe when Charlemaine 'converted'. The history of the religion is full of violence and abuse of those who didn't wish to share, and control by fear of others who chose survival. Hardly a gentle religion.

But that some ancient ancestor probably converted to survive is not mentioned in the pr. This doesn't make meaningful believers today monsters but perhaps they should remember that belief is a choice, not a duty, and enjoy their choice and leave others alone who don't share it.

I don't wish people merry christmas anymore, but not because I no longer believe any of its mythos. It's all the zelots who are so convinced that they are the only ones who are right. I'll wish that someone has a joyful midwinter holiday. If that isn't enough then its not my problem.

I don't mind a social gathering with the tree and all but AS a social holiday.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:41 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Christians don't like to admit they swiped our pagan celebration of annual re-birth to concoct an origin story for their sado-masochistic mythology. Of course, 99% of them are totally ignorant of the fact.

The Feast of St. Nicholas (Santa Claus) is a Pagan Holiday?

Old 12-24-2013, 06:51 PM

15,880 posts, read 21,483,435 times
Merry Christmas! I will be drowning my sorrows in a scorpion bowl with the rest of Boston's north shore suburbs at the big, kitschy Chinese restaurant before seeing a movie. Nothing if not living a stereotype.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:13 PM

32,133 posts, read 15,129,786 times
Quote:
If cashiers stopped greeting people with "Happy Holiday" especially few days prior to Christmas, especially on Christmas Eve, and especially when they know most people are Christians and celebrate the national holiday, and especially for me wearing a visible cross then we would not complain.

How come in the UK, Australia and elsewhere besides the US/Canada there is no war on Christmas? Please explain.
Both nations have less percentage of Christians.

Why did Rhode Island governor call it holiday tree as one example?

Seriously, why are you complaining. Happy holidays includes christmas and new years. What's wrong with that. And why would a cashier notice what kind of jewelry you were wearing.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,976,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I hope all my Pagan friends had a Happy Yule.
Yule is also the Norwegian word for Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies