Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM

16,785 posts, read 8,293,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is a vicious circle. Here in Arizona, getting a gun is about as easy as buying a cheeseburger and a little bit quicker. So you have to assume that a burglar or home invader has a gun.

So, until there are real and substantive efforts by the authorities to prevent criminals having access to guns then I don't see why I should not keep one in my home.
So how do you stop? You keep adding to the # of guns? You allow people to sell to anyone?

The whole idea of gun control is to limit the damage by doing backround checks which any gun owner will tell you is not a big deal.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,965,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So to add to the fire. In todays Salisbury Post is a story about a young man who returned home to find it was being robbed. He dropped his wife at a friends house and returned to find 3 men in his driveway. He was shot in the head by what appears to be his own weapon (handgun). Would he be fighting for his life today if many factors had not caused him to have that weapon?
It can also be asked if he would be fighting for his life, had he had his firearm on him when he returned home instead of having left it at home.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,375,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
It can also be asked if he would be fighting for his life, had he had his firearm on him when he returned home instead of having left it at home.
As sad as that is, it's a valid point. When my wife and I leave our home, the guns in the house are locked in a safe and I'm either legally carrying one or there's one (also legally) in the car in case we return home and someone else is in it without our knowledge or permission.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM

21,569 posts, read 10,711,350 times
Quote:
So how do you stop? You keep adding to the # of guns? You allow people to sell to anyone?

The whole idea of gun control is to limit the damage by doing backround checks which any gun owner will tell you is not a big deal.
Just the mere mention of gun control caused hundreds of thousands of people to go buy guns recently. Those things don't go away. Every time people make noise about new gun control laws, the same thing happens - more guns added to the inventory.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:

The background checks are not a big issue. They have been going on for years. What I want to know is who is doing the background check on the criminals that have guns? Do you think they get their guns by going to their nearest gun shop or sporting goods store? They get their guns on the black market and usually pay little for them. You can't legislate yourself out of criminals. If a criminal wants a gun, it is easier for him to get one than for YOU to get one. Yet at every turn anti gun people are screaming for more gun control for those who legally own firearms. Do you see the disconnect here?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 PM

katygirl68: +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.