Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,462,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Attending school should be a priviledge and not a right.
What about eating, sleeping and breathing?

Look dude...chill with the Limbaugh nonsense. The lengths that you can take stuff relative to what's a right and what's a privilege are boundless, but geez...can we at least agree that having educated children only makes sense in a First World nation?

Eventually, you conservatives are gonna consider living to be optional. Am i gonna wake up one day and have to put change in a meter in order to live until the afternoon?

I think what's going on in this once proud school is abhorrent and indicative of the local community in Philly, but let's not get carried away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,978,477 times
A school is a reflection of its community.
That goes for K-12.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 AM

8,014 posts, read 5,930,715 times
Damn, my high school seems so tame in comparison. No riots, just the occasional clown that was caught smoking (and this was in the 80's). I only remember one couple getting busted for having sex during school hours.

Of course, fast forward 30 years, and thanks to the magic of diversity, the same high school is consistently rated a D/F and the graduation rate has dropped to 50%. To say nothing of the fact that now there is a wing of the high school where the teen moms attend classes.

Is THIS what we call progress?

You truly cannot educate the uneducable....

Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,206,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Look dude...chill with the Limbaugh nonsense. The lengths that you can take stuff relative to what's a right and what's a privilege are boundless, but geez...can we at least agree that having educated children only makes sense in a First World nation?

Eventually, you conservatives are gonna consider living to be optional. Am i gonna wake up one day and have to put change in a meter in order to live until the afternoon?

I think what's going on in this once proud school is abhorrent and indicative of the local community in Philly, but let's not get carried away.

Baloney. Parents should have to apply for school for their kids and those kids need to know the rules before attending. Kids that get out of line or break the rules should be subject to being expelled and required to reapply. Quit wasting money on feral kids that don't want to be there anyway. Try to save the ones that want an education.

The world needs ditchdiggers!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,231,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Damn, my high school seems so tame in comparison. No riots, just the occasional clown that was caught smoking (and this was in the 80's). I only remember one couple getting busted for having sex during school hours.

Of course, fast forward 30 years, and thanks to the magic of diversity, the same high school is consistently rated a D/F and the graduation rate has dropped to 50%. To say nothing of the fact that now there is a wing of the high school where the teen moms attend classes.

Is THIS what we call progress?

You truly cannot educate the uneducable....
In addition to the increasing number of minorities, how have school policies changed? What year are the textbooks? What about teacher training? Teacher retention? After school programs? Tutoring services? Academic counseling?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,978,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
In addition to the increasing number of minorities, how have school policies changed? What year are the textbooks? What about teacher training? Teacher retention? After school programs? Tutoring services? Academic counseling?
Supposedly for the better.
Textbooks are newer with supplements even for up to date studies.
Teacher training is stricter with subject matter testing.
Teacher retention is debatable because new graduates are cheaper on budgets than 20-30 year veteran teachers.
HS didn't have any "after school programs" then or now.
Much more tutoring with organized groups now going into the schools ..Partners in Education is one.
Many more counselors now even at the elementary level.
My son's HS had 2 counselors for each grade level; his MS had 3 counselors; don't recall elementary though.

The schools themselves have gotten better.
School policies though and students have gone downhill.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM

79,550 posts, read 61,691,130 times
Quote:
The parents already know what's going on. They just aren't gonna do a damn thing about it.

That used to be a proud high school with a great tradition. Now it's just a babysitting service for bad ass kids.
Yep.

Curious how the blame gets shifted around there.

I'd guess the parents blame the schools and the politicians blame anything that doesn't vote.

With a mono-party entrenched political system rife with cronyism, nothing is going to change either.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,280,983 times
Quote:
The parents already know what's going on. They just aren't gonna do a damn thing about it.

That used to be a proud high school with a great tradition. Now it's just a babysitting service for bad ass kids.
Exactly. I have a friend who used to teach at a school like that. She never had more than five parents show up in a given year to parent/teacher conferences between all of her students.

Those kids don't have a chance...

Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM

79,550 posts, read 61,691,130 times
Quote:

I think that poster was referring to the concept that the portion of the student body causing most of the problems should be expelled or sent to special schools so that the other kids can have a more productive learning environment.

I do not feel they were suggesting the termination of free education through grade 12.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM

73,439 posts, read 63,414,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What are you talking about? They DID get a head start on their career in the prison system.
If this is suppose to be some kind of joke, it isn't funny at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies