Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,950,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Understood, but there really isn't that much activity on the Elections subforum. Could it be replaced as the ACA rolls out and people can see how it goes? Afterall, 1/1/14 is when EVERYONE is affected one way or another by the ACA mandates.
I'm not the mod for P&OC nor have I read the ACA sticky threads, you could try contacting a regular mod for the forum. But I don't think a subforum will be created.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM

20,163 posts, read 16,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have to agree with nei on this one. Hot topics come and go, ACA topics will die off in due time.

But if people really care about ACA and wish to have a sub-forum to talk about it, they could always use the one that already exists.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/health-insurance/

It is an entire sub-forum dedicated to health insurance. That would be where I would go if I wanted to engage into topics about the ACA and the effects of it.
Obamacare/ACA is not going away anytime soon and people want to discuss the political implications of it, not just the actual nuts and bolts insurance part, which is why it belongs in the PO&C forum. I think a sub-forum for it is a great idea. The stickies make it tedious and, quite frankly annoying, to read and participate in. If that was the goal in creating the stickies, it works. I often quit participating in a topic when it gets stickied and I doubt I am alone. I do appreciate Nei explaining it though.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:59 PM

5,390 posts, read 4,532,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
New subforums are made by the administrator, not mods. I think it takes a bit of work and they're not made on a whim. Anyhow, subforums are only made if it can keep a lot of posting activity with new threads made regularly. Since it's just one issue that's a "hot topic" right now I don't think it will (or should) be made.

Thanks, nei!

There is much that goes into deciding on a new sub forum. We as moderators do not make that decision, the Administrator does. Please see this post for a little insight into how that decision is made. On several occasions I have lobbied for an LGBT forum. There are so many more threads on those subjects than there are, or will be, on ACA. As you can see, an LGBT forum does not exist.

As for making the two stickies, it was not a decision I made lightly. CaseyB and I have always made stickies for hot topics. This time we let it ride. And ride it did! For over a month there was next to nothing on the front page of this forum except ACA related threads. Many, many of them were repetitive and many posts were just copied and then pasted into several other threads. Many threads devolved into the same thing that were topics in other threads, hence the repetitive nature of the posts. Even threads that didn't seem to have any commonality, save for ACA, ended up the same as many others. Moderating them was a nightmare! I received many more complaints about the increasing number of threads than I have about the stickies. There are other things that people wanted to discuss.

I do understand the frustration some of you feel, really I do. But, until we have a "Hot Topics" forum, two stickies about the same subject is the best it gets. Perhaps Administrator can come up with a better solution. He and Marka and Yac do read the forums. I will however, send them all a link to this thread.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,973,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Good Luck ……. I've been sending complaints for days now, with zero response. The Dump Threads are a great way to stifle discussion and for Censorship. It's going to take a lot of posters to complain before we get their attention.
Expect this thread to go "poof" very soon.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...omplaints.html
I agree putting them together stifles discussion. I quit going in whe they stuck everything together...

Old 11-16-2013, 11:13 PM

20,163 posts, read 16,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Thanks, nei!

There is much that goes into deciding on a new sub forum. We as moderators do not make that decision, the Administrator does. Please see this post for a little insight into how that decision is made. On several occasions I have lobbied for an LGBT forum. There are so many more threads on those subjects than there are, or will be, on ACA. As you can see, an LGBT forum does not exist.

As for making the two stickies, it was not a decision I made lightly. CaseyB and I have always made stickies for hot topics. This time we let it ride. And ride it did! For over a month there was next to nothing on the front page of this forum except ACA related threads. Many, many of them were repetitive and many posts were just copied and then pasted into several other threads. Many threads devolved into the same thing that were topics in other threads, hence the repetitive nature of the posts. Even threads that didn't seem to have any commonality, save for ACA, ended up the same as many others. Moderating them was a nightmare! I received many more complaints about the increasing number of threads than I have about the stickies. There are other things that people wanted to discuss.

I do understand the frustration some of you feel, really I do. But, until we have a "Hot Topics" forum, two stickies about the same subject is the best it gets. Perhaps Administrator can come up with a better solution. He and Marka and Yac do read the forums. I will however, send them all a link to this thread.
The link you provided didn't work, at least not for me.

I get that people want to discuss other issues - heck, I do too. But at the same time, two stickies isn't enough for the broadness of the subject and that really does stifle the conversation (not that I mind some people's conversation being stifled all that much- lol) Maybe a Hot Topic sub forum within P&OC is the best answer, that way whatever can clog it, whether it is Obamacare or illegal immigration.

Thank you for the explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies