Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM

525 posts, read 511,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You`re gonna take away benefits from well off Republicans and Democrats that have paid into these programs for 40 or so years? That`s funny. No one takes the corporate funded propaganda machine called the heritage foundation seriously anymore and haven`t for a couple of decades at least. This is nutty stuff they`re proposing.
These programs...social security in particular...we're initially created as social insurances to safeguard against poverty. If people are wealthy...they shouldn't receive benefits...means testing is simple and makes sense to shore up the program. What else do you find "nutty?" The plan shores up balance sheets lomg term...something obamas projections fail to do...I'm not sure how that's nutty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,781,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
These programs...social security in particular...we're initially created as social insurances to safeguard against poverty. If people are wealthy...they shouldn't receive benefits...means testing is simple and makes sense to shore up the program. What else do you find "nutty?" The plan shores up balance sheets lomg term...something obamas projections fail to do...I'm not sure how that's nutty.
How do you explain the fact we have more poverty now then before these programs?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 7,011,071 times
You know, once a upon a time, Heritage Foundation actually talked about reversing the nanny state. All it does now is talk about how to make it a little more affordable.

For the life of me, I just can't imagine how this appeals to anyone, except party goons and policy wonks.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 7,011,071 times
Quote:
It's not just nutty, it's WHOLLY INSANE to try to "shore up" rank stupidity.

It's time to END all of these things.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,530,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You know, once a upon a time, Heritage Foundation actually talked about reversing the nanny state. All it does now is talk about how to make it a little more affordable.

For the life of me, I just can't imagine how this appeals to anyone, except party goons and policy wonks.
I agree with you. (Wow!)
Nothing here but the same rewarmed ideas the HF has had for the last decade. No Republican seeking election will ever endorse any of this, especially the changes to Social Security and Medicare.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,398,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

But the reality is the nanny state will never ever be abolished and with that in mind the only thing that is left is too propose reforms. I am with you I would love nothing better then the federal gvt getting out of the nanny state bussiness. And leaving it too the states if they so choose to have their own social programs with their own rules and regulations. But then there is reality.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,398,977 times
Quote:
Are you in the Heritage foudation proposing the wealthy to continue paying into the system but not being elligible to recieve benifits? If so I call BS, if we are means testing them the wealthy should not have to put in one red cent. I am for the idea if that is the case and against if it is not.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,450,242 times
Heritage is a rightwing organization. That alone tells me their plan sucks

Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,781,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Heritage is a rightwing organization. That alone tells me their plan sucks
Really? Well we have seen American liberalism fail epicly with the unaffordable health care act. Along with almost every other program, ideal, and view point.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,491,727 times
So much for keeping your insurance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies