Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times

Advertisements

The Left

Quote:
The fundamental problem of the political Left seems to be that the real world does not fit their preconceptions. Therefore they see the real world as what is wrong, and what needs to be changed, since apparently their preconceptions cannot be wrong.
Sowell goes on to discuss what I call an obsession with central planning. I call it that, because that's the left's response to ANY issue they think is negative. Central planners, of course, are not only arrogant, but the most incompetent people on earth. Nobody who understands what management actually believes in central planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
So a conservative libertarian think tank is telling you what the fundamental problems with the left is and I am sure it is totally factual.

Let me find an article from a liberal think tank that points out the fundamental problems of conservative libertarians and see if you believe that.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
What central planning? Does the government tell Ford how many Focuses to build? Does it tell Dell how many laptops to build? Where is this mysterious central planning?

I know, it only exists in the right-wing mind. What we have is a capitalist economy and liberals favor taxing those who have made the greatest amount of money to support a safety-net for those at the bottom. That's it. On the other side, conservatives have disdain for taxes that they say is an imposition on their liberty.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Who are these people on the "left" persons on the "radical right" keep referring to? I wonder. They never seem to be identified - those dangerous persons on the "left."

If someone wants to examine the two principal political parties and "central planning" they'll find an avalanche of such ideas in the platform of the GOP and in the various legislative proposals offered by persons affiliated with that party. There maybe some people associated with the Democratic Party who offer some such suggestions, but they are so greatly over-shadowed by the control freaks in the GOP and the radical right that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So a conservative libertarian think tank is telling you what the fundamental problems with the left is and I am sure it is totally factual.
Thomas Sowell is a person, not a think tank. And yes, he is factual and absolutely correct.

Quote:
Let me find an article from a liberal think tank that points out the fundamental problems of conservative libertarians and see if you believe that.
You're free to try. They won't be correct, however, because no leftist understands what the right thinks or believes. That's why every criticism is always fiction. They just make it up.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Thomas Sowell is a person, not a think tank. And yes, he is factual and absolutely correct.

You're free to try. They won't be correct, however, because no leftist understands what the right thinks or believes. That's why every criticism is always fiction. They just make it up.
Yes, Sowell is an individual who is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute, a conservative libertarian think tank. Try to keep up.

I find it interesting that you find him factual and correct when he talks about something that doesn't exist in US liberal politics, yet if someone from the left were to criticize the right, you think that is always fiction, sounds like you have been drinking the partisan kool aid too much.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What central planning? Does the government tell Ford how many Focuses to build? Does it tell Dell how many laptops to build? Where is this mysterious central planning?
No, it's when the government tells the individual what options he must have on that Focus, mandates that the company have a "corporate miles per gallon" average, must have certain "crash" standards, must be re crash-tested millions of dollars worth for each transmission and motor change (even though it has no material effect). When it pays Ford millions of dollars to create vehicles that have no significant market.

It's when the government tells the citizen he must buy insurance until the day he dies, what that insurance must include, how much it must pay for, and what the insurance company must spend its money on.

It's when the federal government tells the citizen what size of toilet tank he must have.

It's when the federal government chooses which software a doctor must use to keep his records and that patient information must be transmitted to the federal government to determine if the doctor is correct in his actions. When committees in Washington DC decide what a medical procedure is "worth" in terms of money ,and whether or not it is 'worth' doing.

Quote:
I know, it only exists in the right-wing mind. What we have is a capitalist economy and liberals favor taxing those who have made the greatest amount of money to support a safety-net for those at the bottom. That's it. On the other side, conservatives have disdain for taxes that they say is an imposition on their liberty.
Actually, we're absolutely correct, and you haven't the faintest idea what liberty is, what central planning is, or that you're obsessed with it.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

I think the left view of government is far more active and intrusive than what you wrote above. Liberals just want to tax those that made the most? Is that all they want to do?

No.

They want to set wages (floor and ceiling).
They want to tell you what you can eat
They want to workers "organized"
They don't want to allow people to take risks, and occasionally fail as a result
They want to limit free speech
They use taxes to control behavior, instead of just raise revenue
They want people to live in cities
They think all education, no matter how much it costs, is good
They want to concentrate government power
They want to monitor our personal activity

Conservatives have their own view of intrusive government:

They want you to be a Christian
They want to limit free speech
They want to tell you who you can marry
They use taxes to control behavior, instead of just raise revenue
They want to continue to waste resources enforcing drug laws (but this position is weakening)
They want to monitor our personal activity

Last edited by hoffdano; 10-28-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, Sowell is an individual who is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute, a conservative libertarian think tank. Try to keep up.

I find it interesting that you find him factual and correct when he talks about something that doesn't exist in US liberal politics, yet if someone from the left were to criticize the right, you think that is always fiction, sounds like you have been drinking the partisan kool aid too much.
I don't "find him factual and correct". He IS factual and correct. Try to learn reality, here.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
Businesses know how to allocate resources, strategically plan, prepare and execute. Those that do not know how, fail. That is the overarching difference, between private enterprise and government.

Government should be limited, because it is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies