Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,913,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
This is how to properly display the Confederate flag.
I am so insulted! Remove that flag!

Last edited by PanTerra; 10-29-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 AM

10,190 posts, read 8,010,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
The Confederacy fought against what is now a slave-free America... if a dumb kid wants to sport a Confederate Flag, a Nazi flag, or the Flag of North Korea, then they should be put in their place. Take the dumb-sheesh down, or be told to go to slave-owning-America, Nazi Germany, or North Korea.
??
... Maybe the dumb kid needs to learn to see that he's lucky he's an American, or maybe be just needs to own his racism and leave when we tell him to kick rocks...
Perhaps you can tell us where "slave owning America" or "Nazi Germany" exists ?? Maybe you should catch up on current events. They have been gone a long time now. Education is a good thing.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,950,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...funny you mentioned it. During the Vick debacle i was shocked at how many people don't realize how widespread dog fighting is in this country. Like...it's frighteningly commonplace. I was disturbed by how shocked people were. Don't people have any idea what the hell goes on in their own country?
I wouldn't have ocurred to me that it's widespread. Maybe I'm in a bubble, but I assume it's rare outside a few nasty social circles.

Is it a southern thing? I thought it was more of an inner city African-American thing.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,031,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
being a southrener has nothing to do with the stars and bars. the confederacy was a 4 year period in the 350 year history of the south.

I refuse to equate a 4 year period of history to define me as a southrener.
For more than a century a flag with three crosses flew over the South! The cross of St. George, the Cross of St. Andrew and the Cross of St. Patrick. We know this proud flag as the Union Jack!!
The South owed its Plantation culture and its dependence on slaves or indentured workers to British planters who emigtated from the West Indies to states like Georgia, and the Carolinas. The northern part of the South was settled by landed gentry and British nobility who took their Estate culture with indentured farm laborers to the Virgina and Maryland Tide water.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,241,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wouldn't have ocurred to me that it's widespread. Maybe I'm in a bubble, but I assume it's rare outside a few nasty social circles.

Is it a southern thing? I thought it was more of an inner city African-American thing.
Agreed. I didn't know much about dog fighting until the Vick thing came out.
Still don't in fact.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,031,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
being a southrener has nothing to do with the stars and bars. the confederacy was a 4 year period in the 350 year history of the south.

I refuse to equate a 4 year period of history to define me as a southrener.
For more than a century a flag with three crosses flew over the South! The cross of St. George, the Cross of St. Andrew and the Cross of St. Patrick. We know this proud flag as the Union Jack!!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,584,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
This is how to properly display the Confederate flag.
Yee-Haw !

Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 PM

6,477 posts, read 7,059,555 times
Liberals and NYU got it right this time....for a change

hanging a confed flag is akin to hanging a swastika up.

Sorry 'hate speech' does not equal 'free speech'.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,989,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are inaccurate. Virginia seceded from the Union, AFTER many others had seceded, but ONLY after lincoln broke the law. Prior to that, Virginia had voted to stay as a party of the union.

Just a point of fact. The use of the word 'seceded' means a fait accompli. No state seceded.

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 10-29-2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,603,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Liberals and NYU got it right this time....for a change

hanging a confed flag is akin to hanging a swastika up.

Sorry 'hate speech' does not equal 'free speech'.
Why did you feel a need to resort to hate speech to try and make your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies