Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,922,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
$1 / mo. ? Al Jazeera reporting? How screwed up is this...
Basically the plan is a really cheap catastrophic care plan and with his subsidies his out of pocket premium costs are just $1 per month. For someone in their 20's or even early 30's that's not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,033,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
You made a thread on this already didn't you?

"That's the scary thing about the ACA. All these young people who voted for Obama get screwed. Even low income adults. You need to be below 133% of poverty in opt in states to benefit from the ACA if you are healthy young adult male."

Not that many young people vote, even for him. Being carried on their parent's insurance isn't exactly being screwed though.
Hasn't that been the modus of this administration? They seemingly hurt the ones they're supposed to love. Poverty has gone up over 15%, unemployment is at all-time highs for blacks and gen-y's (millennial's/new boomers) who are also being slammed with the highest rate increases.

At least those people with pre-existing conditions can get coverage now. The rate increases on the youth is how we'll be paying for that. The young are literally being exploited by their own ideology. Funny how that's working out.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,283,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
They deserve every screwing they get, as they and the 30-somethings are the idiots who voted in the majority for Obummer.
Can't imagine why we wouldn't vote for Republicans.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,699,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I'm 26. I don't make much. I'm super healthy, and a non-tobacco user.

I was paying $150 per month for individual insurance. Affordable plan without much coverage because I never go to the doc or hospital. $10k deductible, $35 co-pays.

Now all of a sudden, I go online and this website is telling me that I will only have to pay $80/month out of pocket now, with a $6500 deductible and $0 co-pays? What the hell?

It says I would receive about $80/month in government subsidies. The plan is called Anthem Catastrophic DirectAccess.

What the f--- is the word catastrophic in there for? Why would my new healthcare be so much cheaper? Am I really just the exact perfect demographic to reap the benefits of this new Obamacare stuff? I don't understand...
Congratulations! You are now a government teat sucker. You're now part of the welfare crowd. You're entitled!

You can thank me and many other hard working Americans for picking up the tab on your subsidies.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I read one article that said if you get the catastrophic plan, you don't get government subsidies on that one - is that true?
Not true. Most "Bronze" level plans on the state exchanges are catastrophic plans. Most states offer four levels of coverage Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Bronze is the cheapest and covers the least while Platinum covers virtually everything under the sun but costs a heck of a lot more. The idea is the coverage of each of those four plans is identical (I.E. all bronze plans are identical in coverage no matter which private insurance company is the provider) and then individual private insurance companies must compete on price and the exchange is the market place where consumers can see what every single insurance company in the state offers price wise. Thus consumers can easily compare prices knowing that all of the plans are identical. In some large urban states there are over 100 different companies all competing on price with the standardized plans so you can easily decide which company is the one you want.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,780,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Congratulations! You are now a government teat sucker. You're now part of the welfare crowd. You're entitled!

You can thank me and many other hard working Americans for picking up the tab on your subsidies.
You sound angry, Dale.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

You act like the young man won't end up making more as time goes on. It's pretty natural for a young man just starting out in his career to not make that much. 20 years from now he'll likely be making much more.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:

And you can thank him for picking up the tab for your education, your subsidized mortgage, your wars, and your medicare, your corporate welfare, and your social security shortages. He will have a lifetime of paying the band that the boomers have been dancing to. It's the young people who are getting the short end of the stick, not the old guard. The boomers are the ones who sucked the teat dry.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM

29,627 posts, read 16,614,159 times
Quote:
I'm 26. I don't make much. I'm super healthy, and a non-tobacco user.

I was paying $150 per month for individual insurance. Affordable plan without much coverage because I never go to the doc or hospital. $10k deductible, $35 co-pays.

Now all of a sudden, I go online and this website is telling me that I will only have to pay $80/month out of pocket now, with a $6500 deductible and $0 co-pays? What the hell?

It says I would receive about $80/month in government subsidies. The plan is called Anthem Catastrophic DirectAccess.

What the f--- is the word catastrophic in there for? Why would my new healthcare be so much cheaper? Am I really just the exact perfect demographic to reap the benefits of this new Obamacare stuff? I don't understand...
You had a 10,000 dollar deductible ?????

Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And you can thank him for picking up the tab for your wars, and your medicare, your corporate welfare, and your social security shortages. He will have a lifetime of paying the band that the boomers have been dancing to. It's the young people who are getting the short end of the stick, not the old guard. The boomers are the ones who sucked the teat dry.
Amen, brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies