Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,516,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
An AR15 can kill an animal just as dead as many other calibers...
Jesus Christ, READ!

I am talking about what rounds are COMMONLY used for hunting. A .223 round is not near as common for deer and such as a 30-06 round is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,765,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Whoa man, I was never saying that you CAN'T hunt with an AR-15. I was pointing out that it is a much weaker gun than the more popular hunting rounds.

You can hunt with whatever gun you please, but the point remains the same... Most hunters consider the AR-15 a varmint rifle at best, and most prefer much larger rounds when hunting deer and elk.
Okay I agree. You need to realize that even if it's true that most may consider the AR15 a "varmint rifle" (which you have not proved), the fact still remains that some may prefer to use an AR15. If that's what they choose to use and if that's the tool that they feel comfortable with using, then what's it too you? Why do you care? If you do not think it's the optimal tool to use, then don't use it. To each their own.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,007,939 times
Quote:
Can we let go of this silly darn argument? You do realize that you sound absolutely absurd to any educated mind when you say you don't need an AR-15 to hunt, right?

Oh you don't? Let me show you why you sound so out of touch.

This is the common AR-15 load right next to the most common deer hunting round.
Deer hunting round is on the left and the AR-15 round is on the right:

This is not the biggest hunting round, this is the most common.

And yes, deer hunting rifles come in semi-auto, and is quite common. So let me get this straight, this gun which delivers a much bigger round at the same rate:

Is safer than this gun, which works the same way, and fires a much smaller cartridge:

If you want to argue against gun ownership, argue against it. Don't use ignorant lines about not needing a black gun to hunt, especially when hunting rifles are more dangerous.

If every AR-15 was traded in for a Model 44 (deer gun), the potential for damage would go way up.
Actually an AR-15 makes an excellent varmit rifle and that is all I would use my S&W for. Now my MiA .308 is not only an excellent deer/hog hunting rifle, but it is also good fro protecting me and mine if and when the need arises.
Thing is it does not matter what they use them for, Americans have and should have the right to own them. Note: if banned they would not reduce crime by any measure and would not prent those that already have them from using them, case in point the Colorado shooting, there was a ban at the time and it changed nothing. That is why even most police agencies across the Nation where in favor of lifting the ban.
Not that it matters, but I am considered a Liberal here.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Okay I agree. You need to realize that even if it's true that most may consider the AR15 a "varmint rifle" (which you have not proved), the fact still remains that some may prefer to use an AR15. If that's what they choose to use and if that's the tool that they feel comfortable with using, then what's it too you? Why do you care? If you do not think it's the optimal tool to use, then don't use it. To each their own.

You can use an AR-15 to hunt whatever animal you want. I have no problem with that, I never said I have a problem with it.

If it is an easier gun for someone to use, they can use it.

I don't know why you think I have something against using AR's to hunt. I am simply pointing out that many people who believe in gun control also hold a belief that AR-15's are too much power for hunting... and that too most hunters, they are under powered.

If people think that an AR is too powerful for hunting and should be banned, what harm is there in educating people and making them understand that the .223 round is suited best for small game and medium to large game hunters use much larger rounds commonly?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually an AR-15 makes an excellent varmit rifle and that is all I would use my S&W for. Now my MiA .308 is not only an excellent deer/hog hunting rifle, but it is also good fro protecting me and mine if and when the need arises.
Thing is it does not matter what they use them for, Americans have and should have the right to own them. Note: if banned they would not reduce crime by any measure and would not prent those that already have them from using them, case in point the Colorado shooting, there was a ban at the time and it changed nothing. That is why even most police agencies across the Nation where in favor of lifting the ban.
Not that it matters, but I am considered a Liberal here.
I agree with your post. I do not believe that it should matter as far as constitutional rights go, I am just pointing out the fallacy that anti-gun people believe in concerning the lethality of an AR.

I have pointed out in this thread that .223 is common for varmint hunting, would you disagree that 30-06 is more common for medium to large game?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 PM

The title of this thread is "You don't need an AR-15 to hunt!"

Yea I agree.. You don't need an AR15 to hunt! You don't even need a rifle because you can use a shotgun. You don't need a shotgun to hunt! You can use some handguns. You don't need a gun to hunt! You can use bow and arrow.... Who the hell cares what tool someone that you do not know chooses to hunt with???

Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I agree with your post. I do not believe that it should matter as far as constitutional rights go, I am just pointing out the fallacy that anti-gun people believe in concerning the lethality of an AR.

I have pointed out in this thread that .223 is common for varmint hunting, would you disagree that 30-06 is more common for medium to large game?
Too powerful to hunt with lol??? It fires 1 bullet down range per trigger pull just like the rest.. It isn't a rocket launcher... What are talking about??

Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The title of this thread is "You don't need an AR-15 to hunt!"

Yea I agree.. You don't need an AR15 to hunt! You don't even need a rifle because you can use a shotgun. You don't need a shotgun to hunt! You can use some handguns. You don't need a gun to hunt! You can use bow and arrow.... Who the hell cares what tool someone that you do not know chooses to hunt with???
Read the original post again, you are missing the whole context of this thread.

I am not of the belief that "You don't need an AR-15 to hunt", this thread is about the common argument made by people who want gun control.

People who want guns banned say "You don't need an AR-15 to hunt!" the point of this thread is to discuss that argument and how dumb it is.

This is NOT an anti-AR-15 thread!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Too powerful to hunt with lol??? It fires 1 bullet down range per trigger pull just like the rest.. It isn't a rocket launcher... What are talking about??
What the hell are you talking about?

I am not saying that it is too powerful to hunt with, I am attacking the claim that they are too powerful to hunt with. Slow down and read the posts twice or something, you don't seem to be getting the context.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,741,987 times
the Kentucky rifle ,assault rifle of its day
was good for all types of polecats 2 and 4 leg
no different than the ar15 of today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies