Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times

Advertisements

"Rep. Renee Ellmers raised awareness of a new problem with Obamacare’s implementation: the creation of private-sector health insurance monopolies that will limit Americans’ provider choices. “Although seven insurance companies currently operate in North Carolina, under the new Obamacare exchanges, those options will dwindle down to one in the majority of counties,” Ellmers said Thursday following the disclosure of figures by federal health officials showing that more than 60 percent of North Carolina counties will have only one insurance provider option under Obamacare. Beginning October 1 under Obamacare, Blue Cross Blue Shield will be the only health insurance provider serving the entire state of North Carolina in the new Obamacare exchanges, serving all 100 of the state’s counties. Its competitor Coventry Health Care, which is owned by Aetna, will only reach 39 counties."

Congresswoman: Obamacare creating health insurance monopolies | The Daily Caller

But hey, if you are happy with your insurance you get to keep it. Isn't that what the President said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
This is what the people wanted. Obama, Pelosi and Reid told us so.

So in 3 days the gates open up.
We deserve everything coming to us.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,181,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Rep. Renee Ellmers raised awareness of a new problem with Obamacare’s implementation: the creation of private-sector health insurance monopolies that will limit Americans’ provider choices. “Although seven insurance companies currently operate in North Carolina, under the new Obamacare exchanges, those options will dwindle down to one in the majority of counties,” Ellmers said Thursday following the disclosure of figures by federal health officials showing that more than 60 percent of North Carolina counties will have only one insurance provider option under Obamacare. Beginning October 1 under Obamacare, Blue Cross Blue Shield will be the only health insurance provider serving the entire state of North Carolina in the new Obamacare exchanges, serving all 100 of the state’s counties. Its competitor Coventry Health Care, which is owned by Aetna, will only reach 39 counties."

Congresswoman: Obamacare creating health insurance monopolies | The Daily Caller

But hey, if you are happy with your insurance you get to keep it. Isn't that what the President said?

There is only ONE provider in West Virginia. Two were approved for the exchange, but one dropped out because it was not in their best interest to participate once they saw all the details and restrictions.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,785,925 times
I warned about this a few years ago when they put the rules in that 80 cents on the dollar had to go to pay claims.

It was sold as a consumer protection, which is partially true but what it also does is make it much much harder for the smaller operators to compete with the bigger ones due to fixed expense costs.

Now those same caps will generally protect consumers from getting gouged but it is definitely a nice arrangement for the larger players, you know...the ones that wrote the legislation.

So, calling it a monopoly isn't really a fair description as they don't have monopoly pricing power, it's more protectionism or another word that escapes me at the moment.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,237,820 times
Quote:

You can still buy insurance from any other company, you do not have to buy in the exchange. So, yes if you are happy with your current company, you can keep it.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,874,320 times
Quote:

BlueCross/BlueShield is a very suspect insurance company. They operate as a "non-profit", yet have a bloated bureaucracy of overpaid execs. I had them two years ago with my employer, and they were a nightmare to deal with.

I do believe that IS what the President said, that if you're happy with your insurance, you can keep it.

But this President lies. A lot.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
BlueCross/BlueShield is a very suspect insurance company. They operate as a "non-profit", yet have a bloated bureaucracy of overpaid execs. I had them two years ago with my employer, and they were a nightmare to deal with.

I do believe that IS what the President said, that if you're happy with your insurance, you can keep it.

But this President lies. A lot.
And yet, I have the same policy that I have had for years. No one is forcing me to get rid of my policy from Humana and go on the exchange. If I want to keep it, I pay for it. If you want to keep your keep it, If you want to go on ht e exchange, go on the exchange.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And yet, I have the same policy that I have had for years. No one is forcing me to get rid of my policy from Humana and go on the exchange. If I want to keep it, I pay for it. If you want to keep your keep it, If you want to go on ht e exchange, go on the exchange.
While you and I are not impacted, that's not a representative sample.

There will undoubtably be many individuals who are impacted, most notably the young invincibles that the plan needs in order to succeed. If they don't sign up in sufficient numbers the feds will just ratchet up penalties until they do.

They are starting slow & gentle out of political concerns but they will get more forceful with the holdouts.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While you and I are not impacted, that's not a representative sample.

There will undoubtably be many individuals who are impacted, most notably the young invincibles that the plan needs in order to succeed. If they don't sign up in sufficient numbers the feds will just ratchet up penalties until they do.

They are starting slow & gentle out of political concerns but they will get more forceful with the holdouts.
Those same young invincibles will be the first running to the ER racking up bills that they can't pay when they get hurt. Hospitals had $41 BILLION in unpaid bills in 2011. Who do you think pays for them? I do, you do, through higher premiums. I already have to pay for them, they should be getting fined for making MY bills go up.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Those same young invincibles will be the first running to the ER racking up bills that they can't pay when they get hurt. Hospitals had $41 BILLION in unpaid bills in 2011. Who do you think pays for them? I do, you do, through higher premiums. I already have to pay for them, they should be getting fined for making MY bills go up.
Well they will get fined. The IRS will keep their refunds.

How do you like that ? You pay higher insurance and Uncle Sam gets the penalty money. Now do you think Uncle Sam is going to give that money back to the insurance companies to cover their losses ? Them not having insurance provides a revenue stream for our government. There's no incentive for the government to promote them signing up.
Why would the government want to lose money on this ?

NOPE. That is the redistribution of wealth that all the Dems cry about. Only folks don't see that your money is going to the government, not those filthy rich elites.

The penalty next year is $95 dollars. Will that fear people into buying insurance for several thousand per year ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies