Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:44 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,890,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post

If you find coverage that's cheaper and meets the requirements of the ACA then buy it. You don't have to buy them on the exchanges, do you?
The ACA doesn't assign much value to the consumer of No-Insurance Insurance policies, so those are unlikely to meet requirements. But people will still be able to throw money away to Companies that provide them nothing in return if they want. However, those people will be subject to the ACA mandate fine. Easy Peasy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 01:44 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The good Senator Alexander's analysis of Tennessee health insurance plans - those currently offered and those to be offered under the Affordable Care Act - is meaningless without giving some details of what each plan offers in terms of coverage. For example, what does the 27-year-old man in Memphis get for his $41 a month, and what would he get for $119 under ACA? (If that 27-year-old has an annual income of $25K, after tax credits his ACA health insurance plan would cost $103.)
It doesn't matter what the plan offers. The point is that it won't be available. If the person wants plan X for $100 or plan Y for $200 he can choose whichever one he wants. But now the government's going to say you can only get plan Y and if you wanted plan X then that's too bad. Comparing what's in the cheaper plan today to what's in Obamacare tomorrow doesn't address the point.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,976,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Tennessee: Obamacare will triple men's premiums, double women's

— Today, a 27-year-old man in Memphis can buy a plan for as low as $41 a month. On the exchange, the lowest state average is $119 a month — a 190 percent increase.

— Today, a 27-year-old woman in Nashville can also buy a plan for as low as $58 a month. On the exchange, the lowest-priced plan in Nashville is $114 a month — a 97 percent increase. Even with a tax subsidy, that plan is $104 a month, almost twice what she could pay today.

— Today, women in Nashville can choose from 30 insurance plans that cost less than the administration says insurance plans on the exchange will cost, even with the new tax subsidy.

— In Nashville, 105 insurance plans offered today will not be available in the exchange.

Tennessee: Obamacare will triple men's premiums, double women's | WashingtonExaminer.com

But, who's surprised?
Strange, here in Texas they are going down, must be unhealthy to live in Tennessee or someons figures are "off", jeeez I have heard claims of anywhere from double the premiums to triple the amount, problem is none seem to be based on the facts or the truth. From having looked at some of the choices out there myself, I can already see that I am going to save money, anywhere from $50 to $125 a month, I will descide on something at the end of next month when my current policy is due to run out. Thanks President Obama!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:52 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,890,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It doesn't matter what the plan offers. The point is that it won't be available. If the person wants plan X for $100 or plan Y for $200 he can choose whichever one he wants. But now the government's going to say you can only get plan Y and if you wanted plan X then that's too bad. Comparing what's in the cheaper plan today to what's in Obamacare tomorrow doesn't address the point.
Plan X would still be there to buy, just not thru the exchange. You don't think the Company offering you nothing for your money will stop making that offer, do you?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,482,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Most people don't have pre-existing conditions.
But many people do. About 25% of Americans have asthma, arthritis, and/or diabetes -- any of which is enough to deny coverage on the current individual market.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Strange, here in Texas they are going down, must be unhealthy to live in Tennessee or someons figures are "off", jeeez I have heard claims of anywhere from double the premiums to triple the amount, problem is none seem to be based on the facts or the truth.
And yet you believe costs will go down in Texas? Do you also believe in the tooth fairy?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,426,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Tennessee: Obamacare will triple men's premiums, double women's

— Today, a 27-year-old man in Memphis can buy a plan for as low as $41 a month. On the exchange, the lowest state average is $119 a month — a 190 percent increase.

— Today, a 27-year-old woman in Nashville can also buy a plan for as low as $58 a month. On the exchange, the lowest-priced plan in Nashville is $114 a month — a 97 percent increase. Even with a tax subsidy, that plan is $104 a month, almost twice what she could pay today.

— Today, women in Nashville can choose from 30 insurance plans that cost less than the administration says insurance plans on the exchange will cost, even with the new tax subsidy.

— In Nashville, 105 insurance plans offered today will not be available in the exchange.

Tennessee: Obamacare will triple men's premiums, double women's | WashingtonExaminer.com

But, who's surprised?
Sorry but I had to put you on my ignore list for the sheer ignorance and stupidity of your post .

If it make you feel better you are not alone.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm not surprised. The agenda was, after all, to expand Medicaid by having healthy Americans pay for it via increased premiums or fines, er...taxes.

There is no way that Americans' insurance policies can now be required to cover almost everything (even if they neither want nor need it) without increasing premiums drastically. It's typical Robin Hood politics. Again.
And you can't add 40 or 50 million people who were (supposedly) getting no health care and expect the costs not to go up.

Anyone whose costs are going down are being subsidized by some other poor suckers.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sorry but I had to put you on my ignore list for the sheer ignorance and stupidity of your post .

If it make you feel better you are not alone.
Thank you. Thank you very much. Coming from you, that's the pinnacle of compliments.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,786,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
That is the problem. Under Obamacare, ALL plans must include a mininum number of covered procedures to qualify. To include them automatically will cost more.

Why should two gay men have to purchase a health plan that covers mammograms or birth control pills?
Why should a single woman have to purchase a health plan that cover testicular or prostate cancer screenings?
Well, the short answer is because it is a tax. We don't get to say I will pay taxes for the national parks, but not for aid to Zimbabwe, or drones, or contractors in Iraq. Of all the things that we do pay taxes for, I would say that helping to provide comprehensive health coverage for all is near the top. It connotes a "patriotic" tax if you will, because we do it not for our immediate personal gain, but to strengthen the country as a whole.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 09-25-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies