Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is about the average minority. The majority of black people live in inner cities. I live in the inner city and I live in a poor neighborhood even though I make a middle income salalry.

Poor people do not vote and do not pay attention to the news media but they do watch reality TV and sitcoms and videos that portray stereotypical and demeaning images of black people especially.

You are also another one who is overly political in this regard. Normal people, especially poor black people do not think in terms of liberals and conservatives and they do not pay attention to "conservative blacks" or "liberal blacks." I also find it odd that you think that "liberal blacks" were "lucky" but "conservative" ones worked hard and try to help out. Honestly, being in the inner city and working with many community groups, I can attest to the fact that the majority of black people working in my black neighborhood are democrats. I am an independent and am proud of my moderate views and don't shy away from debating these people who I deem "Super Democrats" (some are very heavily involved in the democratic party and I do see them as "liberals). They view me as a "black republican" and I am the only one in our group who would get that distinction politically.

I also have never been called a "house n*gga" or an uncle tom or oreo because I do not degrade black people or put all black people down just because of the actions of a few. But you are mistaken if you think black conservatives help out in black neighborhoods. More white conservatives are present in my own neighborhood than black but they are associated with churches and doing "mission years" and so they come with a liberal mindset IMO - thinking they can (literally) save us "po black folks." Most of them are nice and many are young 18-19 year olds and they are put to work and I hope that many of them change their stereotypical views of the "inner city" by living in our neighborhood, which I think they do since I see them sitting on porches at night and walking around the neighborhood and just being a resident instead of on a "mission."
again you missed my point. as long as minorities can be shown to be living in pathetic situations, then elected officials can promise to do something about it, and thus buy votes one way or another. as to the rest, they are not my views, they are the views on the liberal media and those wanting power. i also hope that the views of the inner city can be changed, and for the better i might add. and if anyone is going to "save" anyone, it is going to have to be the person that wants to be saved. otherwise the effort is wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Maybe because 'if it bleeds, it leads' is because people WANT to know what's going on in their city? I don't know about you, but if there's a murder or serious crime I want to know about it and I'm sure many other people want to know about it as well, especially when it comes to sexual assaults or muggings, don't you want to know who to look out for?

Also its not about 'what blacks are being reduced to in the media'. Its what blacks have REDUCED THEMSELVES TO. Crime statistics show that black males commit crime at very high rates and the daily news that report these stories simply reflect that. What do you want from the media? To STOP reporting crime just because the majority of it involves blacks? And FYI media DOES report on positive stories that involve blacks, at least where I am. Its just that negative stories involving blacks still far outweighs the positive ones.

And also, its not just inner city black men that are committing crime, its black males living most EVERYWHERE that are committing crime, just that the rates are much higher in some areas than others. If this wasn't the case then it wouldn't be so difficult for you to find a city or area with a significant black population that has a low crime rate would it? 42 million blacks living in practically every corner of the US and no one can find an area with several hundred thousand blacks living there that has a low crime rate? Now you know why they're always in the news for usually negative stories.
Once again, you ignored my point. I never once denied there were crime problems. All of that is a moot point. We aren't talking about that here. We are talking about the fact that Black crime is focused on more than anything else. You can find plenty of success stories regarding Black people moving up, the right way. However, apart from celebrities, ordinary Black people get ignored. Sure, you have positive stories regarding CELEBRITIES. With ordinary black people, those stories are few and far between. Criminal Blacks get the most attention. Don't lie and say otherwise. I've watched the news enough to know that whenever I turn on the news, I'm going to hear about so and so shot somebody.

And once again, it is Black UNDERCLASS men who commit alot of crimes, as opposed to the rest of the Black population.

And something else. "Black men reducing themselves to criminal images", well, the whole Black male population has not done this. The majority of Blacks have not done this. However, the majority of Blacks have to live with the stupidity being done by underclass persons who happen to look like them. It manifests itself in many ways. One way is this. You seem very intent on lumping the entire Black population into one category, CRIMINALS. Most of us Black people aren't doing that. And we haven't denied that there is crime being committed by many Blacks. Why do you think so many Blacks who can afford it buy houses in the suburbs? That being said, this is MY problem. My problem is with you talking ONLY about the bad being done by Black criminals. That is all you talk about, and you talk about it as if the whole Black population is involved in those crimes. Most of us want nothing to do with those crimes, or that element. In your eyes, if a White person commits a crime, he does it because he's a criminal, but if a Black person commits a crime, its because he's Black. I think you are intent on the agenda of "Black people are all criminal scum". That is all I've seen from you, because you talk about nothing else. You see, I'm not you. I talk about the problems that exist, but I address it in its correct context. I point out that the majority of Blacks want nothing to do with it. Don't place blame on the entire Black population. Place it on the actual criminals.

The point you always ignore is that decent, law-abiding Black people are the ones who have to worry about the stereotypes regarding Black men and violence. Black CRIMINALS are not worried about it, nor do they care. It is decent, law-abiding Black people who worry about this. But like many people, you ignore them and focus only on Black criminals. So before you say "if you don't want the stereotype to stick, stop acting that way", consider that the persons who are acting according to the stereotype do not care. It is those who are not acting that way who care, but you always ignore that.

I disagree with everything you said because I know there are decent stories out there regarding Black people. If it bleeds it leads.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't give credence to vast conspiracies regardless of which direction the may come from and if it were actually a conspiracy there would be something that we could do about it. Unfortunately, the world of journalism is insular with an inbred world view that runs across their universe (ever wonder why the lead story is almost the same in every major paper or network - it isn't because of some mega conference call). The intention isn't to divide, it is simple how they view their world and what is important.
I am not into conspiracy theories either. I just think the media goes after what gets ratings. Violence gets ratings. If it bleeds it leads. Black criminals commit crimes do not help at all. However, the media just wants ratings, so they go after what gets ratings, violence.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am not into conspiracy theories either. I just think the media goes after what gets ratings. Violence gets ratings. If it bleeds it leads. Black criminals commit crimes do not help at all. However, the media just wants ratings, so they go after what gets ratings, violence.
they also go after what fits their agenda as well.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they also go after what fits their agenda as well.
One reason I don't watch FOX News. I go more towards NPR on some things.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM

215 posts, read 297,269 times
Some blacks complained when the media attention was given to Charles Ramsey, the black man who helped to rescue Amanda Berry who had been kidnapped and held captive for ten years in a house in Cleveland.

Their complaint was that Charles Ramsey wasn't well-spoken or groomed enough to positively portray blacks in the media. He was just being himself.

The only people who pointed out his cosmetic faults were other black people.

Maybe blacks should worry less about how the media portrays them, and more about how their communities actually live.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
Some blacks complained when the media attention was given to Charles Ramsey, the black man who helped to rescue Amanda Berry who had been kidnapped and held captive for ten years in a house in Cleveland.

Their complaint was that Charles Ramsey wasn't well-spoken or groomed enough to positively portray blacks in the media. He was just being himself.

The only people who pointed out his cosmetic faults were other black people.

Maybe blacks should worry less about how the media portrays them, and more about how their communities actually live.
I didn't hear many Blacks complain. However, I could understand why many Blacks do care how they are portrayed. I understand because I have to live with certain things too. I care because I know someone else's perception of Black people could affect my life.

Should the way Charles Ramsey was talking have been a concern? No it should not have been. I only saw a hero when I saw him on the news. However, with the Bedroom Intruder remix song, memes with Sweet Brown's "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That", it does make some people wonder.

As for what goes on in "their communities", well, what do you consider their communities? Places that are only inner city Black neighborhoods? There are alot of Black people who DON'T live in the inner city.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,032 times
Quote:
Once again, you ignored my point. I never once denied there were crime problems. All of that is a moot point. We aren't talking about that here. We are talking about the fact that Black crime is focused on more than anything else. You can find plenty of success stories regarding Black people moving up, the right way. However, apart from celebrities, ordinary Black people get ignored. Sure, you have positive stories regarding CELEBRITIES. With ordinary black people, those stories are few and far between. Criminal Blacks get the most attention. Don't lie and say otherwise. I've watched the news enough to know that whenever I turn on the news, I'm going to hear about so and so shot somebody.
You never onced denied that blacks had crime problems, but you've continually denied THE EXTENT AND SEVERITY of the problem. You keep sayings 'its a minority of blacks' that commit crime, but clearly this isn't the case when all across the US in practically every large sized black community there's a crime problem.

And what do you want the media to do? NOT report crime just because it involves blacks? They've done ALOT of that already as there are so many stories of black on non-black crime that NEVER gets national coverage at all and even in local media they frequently try and cover up the race of the perpetrators. So I don't know why you're blaming media for reporting black crime when they're already doing their best to minimize it.

I know here in Toronto even though the majority of crime and murder is committed by blacks, the local news have done a damn fine job of not mentioning race unless its absolutely necessary or unavoidable.

Quote:
And once again, it is Black UNDERCLASS men who commit alot of crimes, as opposed to the rest of the Black population.

And something else. "Black men reducing themselves to criminal images", well, the whole Black male population has not done this. The majority of Blacks have not done this. However, the majority of Blacks have to live with the stupidity being done by underclass persons who happen to look like them. It manifests itself in many ways. One way is this. You seem very intent on lumping the entire Black population into one category, CRIMINALS. Most of us Black people aren't doing that. And we haven't denied that there is crime being committed by many Blacks. Why do you think so many Blacks who can afford it buy houses in the suburbs? That being said, this is MY problem. My problem is with you talking ONLY about the bad being done by Black criminals. That is all you talk about, and you talk about it as if the whole Black population is involved in those crimes. Most of us want nothing to do with those crimes, or that element. In your eyes, if a White person commits a crime, he does it because he's a criminal, but if a Black person commits a crime, its because he's Black. I think you are intent on the agenda of "Black people are all criminal scum". That is all I've seen from you, because you talk about nothing else. You see, I'm not you. I talk about the problems that exist, but I address it in its correct context. I point out that the majority of Blacks want nothing to do with it. Don't place blame on the entire Black population. Place it on the actual criminals.

The point you always ignore is that decent, law-abiding Black people are the ones who have to worry about the stereotypes regarding Black men and violence. Black CRIMINALS are not worried about it, nor do they care. It is decent, law-abiding Black people who worry about this. But like many people, you ignore them and focus only on Black criminals. So before you say "if you don't want the stereotype to stick, stop acting that way", consider that the persons who are acting according to the stereotype do not care. It is those who are not acting that way who care, but you always ignore that.

I disagree with everything you said because I know there are decent stories out there regarding Black people. If it bleeds it leads.
A couple of things:

First go back through all my posts in the forums and find one post where I've ever said that all blacks were bad or were criminals? Never said it. I've CONTINUALLY stated that I know that there are many good black people out there and that it stinks that they have to deal with being negatively stereotyped as well, but again you have no one to blame but your fellow blacks for screwing up your image.

Second as I said above, I know you acknowledge there's a crime problem with blacks, but you never admit to the extent of the problem. You say its only a low percentage of blacks that commit crime? That is simply untrue. If that were the case, then it would be EASY for you to find a city with a black population similar in size to Chicago's black population that had a low crime rate. If it were simply 'the underclass blacks' that were committing crime, then it would be EASY for you to find a few suburbs with a decent sized black population that was relatively peaceful. But you can't. You can't find even one place where a few hundred thousand blacks living together anywhere in the US that is low crime. That to me doesn't sound like 'a minority of blacks' when out of 42 million blacks you cannot find even one moderately large peaceful black community.

Another point is that even though not every black is a criminal, alot of them indirectly contribute to the crime problem by either not helping police to get rid of crime in their neighborhoods and even more importantly not raising kids to NOT grow up to be criminals and thugs in the first place. You can't blame parents who do everything in their power to raise their kids right and they still turn out bad, but sadly this isn't the case for many black parents who do an utter crap job in raising their children.

And one last thing is that I find that you and alot of other people who defend blacks and their behavior, you seem to LOVE to ignore rates, percentages and ratios etc. IE anything that shows that a high number of blacks are doing bad things relative to their population size. Again you keep saying its 'a minority', but statistics continually show that that 'minority' is committing crime still many times higher than any other group of people, but still just because that's not the majority of blacks as you see it, we're suppose to be happy about it or find that acceptable? We should be satisfied that not even more blacks are criminals and that we should stop reporting black crime because it hurts your feelings? Really?

If anything we should be EVEN HARDER on blacks and shine the spotlight on them even more. Time to stop babying them and start cracking down on them and get them to get their crap together already.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM

215 posts, read 297,269 times
Quote:
I didn't hear many Blacks complain. However, I could understand why many Blacks do care how they are portrayed. I understand because I have to live with certain things too. I care because I know someone else's perception of Black people could affect my life.

Should the way Charles Ramsey was talking have been a concern? No it should not have been. I only saw a hero when I saw him on the news. However, with the Bedroom Intruder remix song, memes with Sweet Brown's "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That", it does make some people wonder.

As for what goes on in "their communities", well, what do you consider their communities? Places that are only inner city Black neighborhoods? There are alot of Black people who DON'T live in the inner city.
I realize there are some blacks who don't live in inner cities. The OP's question had to do with the portrayal of inner city black males. And in those inner city communities where blacks live, there is more black on black crime, drugs, gangs, high dropout rates, illiteracy, unwed teen mothers, and killings from gun violence. Can you deny that?

Why don't people like The Revs bring more media attention to inner city black males catching them doing something right? They can certainly bring media attention to the causes they deem worthy.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,000,575 times
I think most people come from a single family home. I think you meant a single parent home. A multifamily home is like an apartment or something of that nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies