Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,089,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The tax rate on capital gains should be increased.

We need to drastically cut government spending, but there are way to many people, making way more money then is beneficial for the economy on capital gains alone.
So if you ever had the brains to risk an investment, by investing and risking YOUR already taxed money, you would beg to pay a higher tax if that investment paid off?

Contrary to the leftie, low information crowd, capital gains is not only for the rich. Regardless of what obama tells you.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So if you ever had the brains to risk an investment, by investing and risking YOUR already taxed money, you would beg to pay a higher tax if that investment paid off?

Contrary to the leftie, low information crowd, capital gains is not only for the rich. Regardless of what obama tells you.
Depends on the investment.

If its a company you started, from the ground up, and built, no I think your capital gains are just fine.

If you're a fast and loose player on wall street and making money off of no real benefit to the economy, yep, you should be taxed on that at a higher rate.

For instance, my family owns and operates a family run body shop. Have to pay some capital gains taxes every year, because we own the business. But if someone came in and bought all of the shares, and made no effort to grow the business, or hire new employees, simply made money off of it, with no real effort, yeah, I'd think that should have a higher rate then 15%.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:

If its a company you started, from the ground up, and built, no I think your capital gains are just fine.

If you're a fast and loose player on wall street and making money off of no real benefit to the economy, yep, you should be taxed on that at a higher rate.
Then it would slow down investment....ah, what the hell.....I'm wasting my breath on some.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,854,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Guess what? That was THE LAW and even the people who wrote the law specifically said that wording was put in their so NO ONE could arbitrarily gut that requirement!

Obama however used semantics to side-step that wording knowing that he couldn't pull it off legally and he wouldn't be able to muster the votes to change the law.

Of course there are plenty of jobs that fit the requirement. That's the real propaganda.

Posted with TapaTalk
I was not aware that a massive amount of retail and food service jobs went unfilled. If that were the case, employers would have had to increase wages to fill those vacancies. Since they have not, can we agree that " plenty" of jobs is beyond a tad of hyperbole?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:

For instance, my family owns and operates a family run body shop. Have to pay some capital gains taxes every year, because we own the business. But if someone came in and bought all of the shares, and made no effort to grow the business, or hire new employees, simply made money off of it, with no real effort, yeah, I'd think that should have a higher rate then 15%.
You're wrong.

Simply because you're limited on how much you can write off in case of a loss.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 PM

6,759 posts, read 8,609,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Interesting.
These "so-called" investors chose to keep their money in sheltered low interest paying accounts ( FDIC insured bank accounts?) instead of risking the principal in any sort of investment?

Have you considered taking your concept to the Shark Tank?
As I understand it from talking to these guys, many are heavily invested in bonds of various types making 1% or less, but secure and with very little capitol gains. Basically they are sheltering their assets.

Others are invested overseas and can't bring their money home without taking a huge tax hit, so they leave it invested in other countries instead of the US.

I have heard of Shark Tank, never watched it.

Our project is just a basic business, wouldn't make it past the screeners who look for drama for any tv show.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:19 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,683,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Obama, Reid, and Pelosi want to cut programs for the poor and middle class to pay for tax cuts for the rich?

It's ironic that you are calling anyone "low information."
Where did I say they wanted to cut programs for the poor and middle class? Is that right after you stating that it's great having a permanent peasant class because it makes you feel superior?

But, back to the topic at hand.

Let's take the $8 billion in loan guarantees to the coal industry. Do you really believe those don't benefit the rich owners and investors?
Fuel Fix » Obama administration boosts oil industry with $8B in loan guarantees

Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,854,176 times
Quote:
Of course not.

If a republican were president, the recipient class and their leftie enablers would be on here whining all day every day about the economy.
Regardless of who was/is/will be president, people blame and whine.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,683,028 times
Quote:
Last I checked, 800 Billion is better then 0. Just because you can't make a trillion, you're saying you wouldn't work for the 800 Billion?

Makes no sense.

This logic even works on smaller amounts of money.

"Last I checked, 800 dollars is better then 0. Just because you can't make 1000 bucks, you're saying you wouldn't work for the 800?"
$10,000 is a lot of money. If you had $100 million, would you risk it if the payoff were $10,000?

Isn't $10,000 better than 0?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM

808 posts, read 664,048 times
Quote:

the most funny thing is they don't even think that their private investments are going to be taxed HIGHER as well - this brainless crowd really just repeats the talking points.
when you point them that capital gains tax increase is ALSO aimed at middle class ( as any tax which is usually aimed at the broadest base) - the answer is usually a blank stare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.