Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 AM

20,509 posts, read 12,495,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
how do you feel about seniors asking for a discount. don't hold nothing back, tell us how you feel about those old people

I dont know about the OP, but I like Old People. I plan on being Old People one day.... in the not too distant future! LOL

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM

20,509 posts, read 12,495,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The military does not pay taxes?
Yes.... and no....

if you are in a war zone, you do not pay taxes for that period. You do pay taxes if you are not in a war zone.

at least that was the rule when I was in during Desert Storm.

I was in theater for about 6 months. for those months I didnt pay taxes. the rest of the year, I did.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM

4,808 posts, read 3,547,570 times
Lots of hate for Vets here and misconceptions on pay, taxes, service etc.
Unsubscribing..

"A veteran - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life." Disabled Combat Veteran medicated for your protection.

Last edited by Steve40th; 09-10-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM

46,661 posts, read 27,494,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Yes.... and no....

if you are in a war zone, you do not pay taxes for that period. You do pay taxes if you are not in a war zone.

at least that was the rule when I was in during Desert Storm.

I was in theater for about 6 months. for those months I didnt pay taxes. the rest of the year, I did.
I understand this, but now you are nit picking....

The military pays taxes, the way you put it, in your initial post, the military pays no taxes.....period...

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,932,011 times
What's wrong with discounts? And why do they make you mad, is it coming out of your pocket or giving you more business.

I get a corporate discount at practically everywhere I go and at restaurants and rental cars and all sorts of things. Also on my cell phone bill and other services. The companies are happy to give them because it drives up their revenues, me and my discounts. I will be more willing to buy more than I would have with the discount than without it and am more likely to chose to use certain companies for travel or buy certain brands or use certain wireless service due to my discount.

Weird post.....

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM

26,210 posts, read 19,673,874 times
I served 6 years and never once asked for a military discount. Is the problem with people asking for the discount or the constant barrage of military worship pushed on consumers by the media and retailers who make anyone who served feel entitled to a discount?

There are alot of veterans in this country, and I bet 95% of them don't ask for discounts. Maybe this has changed since 9/11, but I still bet its 90% of vets (or higher) not asking.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,192,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What do you mean, "the discount"? You act as though this is a retailer that has posted and advertised a military discount or, even worse, that every current or former military member is entitled to a discount from every business just because of their time in the military.

The OP makes an excellent point. Members of the military are all volunteers. They do it for many reasons, and they are paid for it. Right here at City-Data there is an entire forum where people can post questions about signing up for the military, how they can be sure to get the kind of assignment they want so they can get training, education benefits (including postgraduate and professional education), career advancement, desirable locations, etc. I don't begrudge any of that, but don't pretend that people's motivations for joining the military have nothing to do with how they will benefit from that choice.

We do support the troops: we pay them, we train them, we pay their medical, disability, and other benefits. If a business owner wants to voluntarily offer them a discount, find. That discount might come from a desire to show support or it might come from a desire to boost sales to military personnel, and either way, that's still just fine. Still, they shouldn't go into every business with their hand out.
I've always wondered about that military discount. Sure, thanks for being in the military but it's not like they do it for free. It's a job, just like everyone else has a job. I don't see firefighters/police/etc getting discounts.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM

4,808 posts, read 3,547,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I've always wondered about that military discount. Sure, thanks for being in the military but it's not like they do it for free. It's a job, just like everyone else has a job. I don't see firefighters/police/etc getting discounts.
Firefighters etc do get some special treatment, discounts. Open your eyes. Its there.
Regardless, people that protect your lives through potential sacrificing of their own, whether it is volunteer or not, is something we should all be thankful for.
But, any service, from a person bringing you drinks at a resturaunt or saving your life on an operating table should be thanked in some way.
HooYah America..Best country ever..

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM

15,059 posts, read 6,263,874 times
My husband is active duty and does not ask for military discounts. He feels that it is the job he chose and that's all.

As a military spouse, however, I may inquire if a place offers or ask for an existing military discount and have my ID ready. I forget the majority of the time, but sometimes there is a sign to let people know about the discount. It's a nice gesture, but certainly not necessary.

Why would anyone not ask for an ID? That's critical.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,539,126 times
"though I never served in the military myself"
/thread
my husband and I ask this a lot. he has been in for 17 years. if a company has a military discount and he is not in uniform, how are we supposed to get that discount if we don't ask? many companies actually advertise their military discounts in military heavy areas. I don't see the problem. I have heard of people, mostly spouses, who have been told there was no military discount and got an attitude or went to the internet to bad mouth the company. most of us do not do this. if a company doesn't have military discount, we go right ahead with our transaction. OP sounds bitter and jealous. all kinds of people get all kinds of discounts like union members, AARP members, people with USAA insurance, etc. why are you so concerned about military discount?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies