Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,850 times

Advertisements

Why didn't the state have character witnesses speaking up on behalf of Martin?

Did I miss something?

Other than the young lady that she called, where were all his high school buddies and other kids from his neighborhood talking about what a decent person he was?

I stated before on this forum, I think this whole thing is a tragedy for both Martin and Zimmerman. Martin lost his life, and Zimmerman had to defend his justification.

Clearly the one that lost their life deserves more attention and more support in a courtroom.

Why didn't the prosecutors go all out, and show his true character?...Where were all his buddies?

Again, is there something I missed in all of this?

And if the situation is that he really did not have many people that liked him - at least their testimony would show that he was not a killer.

Maybe he was a bully and Zimmerman would not know to what extent he would go...But there could have been something explored with character witnesses that MIGHT have shown that a reasonable person would recognize it was not needed to use lethal force. (I stress that word because it would have led to reasonable doubt about Zimmerman's response.)

If on the other hand the prosecutors felt that hearing about him from those that knew him would be detrimental to his character...Then those getting in a huff about this really have to ask themselves what they would have done in a similar situation.

And many would argue that it would not have escalated to that situation if Zimmerman simply walked away...Sadly with many arguments, fights, and confrontations that is not always the outcome....And many people have been in a situation like that at one time or another.

Last edited by migee; 07-21-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: to clarify point

Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,040,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Clearly the one that lost their life deserves more attention and more support in a courtroom.
Why?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,953,424 times
Why would the procecution bring in character witnesses for the slain individual? TM was not on trail.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,356,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Why would the procecution bring in character witnesses for the slain individual? TM was not on trail.
That would be to attempt to somehow demonstrate that Martin was not the type of person to assault someone without reason.

Wow........

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Why didn't the state have character witnesses speaking up on behalf of Martin?

Did I miss something?

Other than the young lady that she called, where were all his high school buddies and other kids from his neighborhood talking about what a decent person he was?

I stated before on this forum, I think this whole thing is a tragedy for both Martin and Zimmerman. Martin lost his life, and Zimmerman had to defend his justification.

Why didn't the prosecutors go all out, and show his true character?...Where were all his buddies?

Again, is there something I missed in all of this?

And if the situation is that he really did not have many people that liked him - at least their testimony would show that he was not a killer.

Maybe he was a bully and Zimmerman would not know to what extent he would go...But there could have been something explored with character witnesses that MIGHT have shown that a reasonable person would recognize it was not needed to use lethal force. (I stress that word because it would have led to reasonable doubt about Zimmerman's response.)

If on the other hand the prosecutors felt that hearing about him from those that knew him would be detrimental to his character...Then those getting in a huff about this really have to ask themselves what they would have done in a similar situation.

And many would argue that it would not have escalated to that situation if Zimmerman simply walked away...Sadly with many arguments, fights, and confrontations that is not always the outcome....And many people have been in a situation like that at one time or another.
Because Martin was not the one on trial.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
I don't think you understand why character witnesses are used and I am not sure that would have solved anything. There may have been a possibility that a character witness might have done more damage than good. Martin was the choir boy. There really wasn't anymore that could have been done. The whole thing is a tragedy but the verdict was correct.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,745,809 times
Uh Martin was not on trial and the Prosecution would have gotten slaughtered by the defense opening that door/can of worms. Well they got slaughtered anyway but thats a separate issue.

Little ol' Martin wasn't the sweetie pie everyone wants him to be.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Default But is could have contributed tom his frame of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Because Martin was not the one on trial.
They called the young lady as she spoke to him on the phone...with the point being that he was not the one pursuing Zimmerman.

Other witnesses that knw Martin could have given support to this by describing his character.

Is it against Court protocol to call in witnesses to describe the personality of the victim?....I was not aware of this?...Especially thinking that other witnesses would be verifying what the young lady described as his personality.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 PM

Default From Rules of Evidence

The following is from Federal Rules of Evidence, which I imagine would be generally accepted:

(C) in a homicide case, the prosecutor may offer evidence of the alleged victim’s trait of peacefulness to rebut evidence that the victim was the first aggressor.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Also, Why would you bring a character witness in for a person who didn't have a character you wanted the jury to hear about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies