Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,628,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yanno, people make this plea, however, how many women (actual percentage) of women who have a legitimate health reason to get an abortion, compared to women, who were just to lazy to use protection or take the morning after pill...

Like I said, there are two sides to every story/issue....however, the percentage of this, and women raped, compared to the percentage of women who are to darn lazy to wear protection, including teens...is a moot point.
Or am I wrong?
I agree. It's using the extremes to argue for the common because the common is a more challenging argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,452,743 times
Quote:
I know that, however, if you make it illegal, you give criminals the change to really make it a lucrative business...don't you know anything about prohibition? It made people filthy rich
Those who sell alcohol today are still rich. The only difference is the government gets their share. The Busch family seems to be doing pretty well.

Family Fortunes - Forbes

Quote:
and then, they would use coat hangers....and all kinds of dirty filthy conditions to achive the inevidable
No they wouldn't as that is how you get caught. Nobody would get rich with this type of set up. All the same, another moot point. RvW isn't goint to get overturned in the forseeable future and even if it was it doesn't make abortions illegal.

As we have seen with Gosnell though, it being legal doesn't stop unsanitary conditions. It's too bad so many were willing to turn a blind eye to what he was doing.

Quote:
there are always going to be women who seek out abortions...no matter how you hate it, or what you do...because they are to stupid or lazy to use protection...so, regardless of how you or I feel about this, there will always be people around you can go to to get abortions. You probably don't remember this, but way back when abortions were illegal, women were so desperate to get rid of they're babies, many of them died on the tables while getting abortions, they bled to death....and that is why legalizing abortions came about....
We've done this before. There were very few deaths from abortion after the invention of penicillin. That aside, not all women seek abortions because they were too stupid or lazy to use protection. I have no idea why you would want to minimize the other reasons.

Quote:
This is a very heated subject, and I do know how both sides feel about this, however, regardless of your feelings and opinions on this subject, you cannot force your moral values on another person...what they do with their lives, etc, is between them and they're God....and none of our business...when you interfer, a lot of times the outcome can be even worse.
We can enforce 20 week restrictions as the law allows it.

Quote:
I don't approve of abortion, in the least, but I also don't approve of others telling human beings how to live, and force their moral ethics on anyone...it is all about personal responsibility...
As I noted to someone before, I am sure we can find areas that you accept imposing morals on others.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,972,526 times
Quote:
The plurality then overturned the formula used in Roe to weigh the woman's interest in obtaining an abortion against the State's interest in the life of the fetus. Continuing advancements in medical technology meant that at the time Casey was decided, a fetus might be considered viable at 22 or 23 weeks rather than at the 28 weeks that was more common at the time of Roe. The plurality recognized viability as the point at which the state interest in the life of the fetus outweighs the rights of the woman and abortion may be banned entirely "except where it is necessary, in appropriate medical judgment, for the preservation of the life or health of the mother".
No court has yet ruled on whether at 20 weeks, the State's interest in "the life of the fetus outweighs the rights of the woman".

20 weeks is a state defined and imposed viablility determination.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM

29,026 posts, read 30,475,560 times
Quote:
pknopp Those who sell alcohol today are still rich. The only difference is the government gets their share. The Busch family seems to be doing pretty well.
We're not talking about today, I was discussing back in the days of prohibition, same if abortion is outlawed....you create a lucrative business for criminals, even so called doctors.

Quote:
No they wouldn't as that is how you get caught. Nobody would get rich with this type of set up. All the same, another moot point. RvW isn't goint to get overturned in the forseeable future and even if it was it doesn't make abortions illegal.
Yes, they would, if you make abortion illegal, same thing would happen as happened years ago.

Quote:
As we have seen with Gosnell though, it being legal doesn't stop unsanitary conditions. It's too bad so many were willing to turn a blind eye to what he was doing.
yes, I agree with you totally on this one, but if you make it illegal, you'd have many more Gosnell's.

Quote:
We've done this before. There were very few deaths from abortion after the invention of penicillin. That aside, not all women seek abortions because they were too stupid or lazy to use protection. I have no idea why you would want to minimize the other reasons.
I disagree, but that's ok, you could be right, I could be wrong...simply opinion
and yes, there are way to many people out there today, including teens, that do not use protection b/c they are way to lazy....or way to stupid...in this day and age, you could cut unwanted pregnancy's in half if people would take personal responsibility. And if that were not true, we wouldn't have a need for abortions, would we?

Quote:
As I noted to someone before, I am sure we can find areas that you accept imposing morals on others.
I have opinions, that is me, just as you do, and that is not imposing my morals or lack thereof on others...simply contributing to discuss....I really don't care what others do with their lives or bodies, it is totally up to them...me, I wouldn't do it...just saying

Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM

18,548 posts, read 19,174,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
issues? really? stop it.

what about the female that lays down knowingly getts pregnant and then after 25 weeks says "I don't want it" and kills it off, do they have issues?

and please don't run from the question as most baby killer supporters like to do.
get educated please. you can not abort a 25 week pregnancy because you changed your mind
get educated

Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about today, I was discussing back in the days of prohibition, same if abortion is outlawed....you create a lucrative business for criminals, even so called doctors.
The argument was that making abortion illegal would make it lucrative. It's already lucrative.

Quote:
Yes, they would, if you make abortion illegal, same thing would happen as happened years ago.
What happened years ago was that the government didn't get their cut.

Quote:
yes, I agree with you totally on this one, but if you make it illegal, you'd have many more Gosnell's.
You would have some. But in the end this shows we agree in the big picture. Some restrictions and laws are needed.

Quote:
I disagree, but that's ok, you could be right, I could be wrong...simply opinion
and yes, there are way to many people out there today, including teens, that do not use protection b/c they are way to lazy....or way to stupid...in this day and age, you could cut unwanted pregnancy's in half if people would take personal responsibility. And if that were not true, we wouldn't have a need for abortions, would we?
There would be far fewer occasions for it. It would not completely end the reasons.

Quote:
I have opinions, that is me, just as you do, and that is not imposing my morals or lack thereof on others...simply contributing to discuss....I really don't care what others do with their lives or bodies, it is totally up to them...me, I wouldn't do it...just saying
Concerning abortion I understand that. There are many other areas we impose our morals on others.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
get educated please. you can not abort a 25 week pregnancy because you changed your mind
get educated
Today it would be difficult. Not long ago it wasn't.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Today it would be difficult. Not long ago it wasn't.
it has never been the case even "long ago" that women can get late term abortions because they suddenly changed their minds about being pregnant.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it has never been the case even "long ago" that women can get late term abortions because they suddenly changed their minds about being pregnant.
"Change their mind" is naturally a state of mind that is not something that is defined. Maybe "not fully made up their mind" would be less argumentative.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"Change their mind" is naturally a state of mind that is not something that is defined. Maybe "not fully made up their mind" would be less argumentative.
so do you have a link or any research you can site that supports your claim that "long ago" it was easy to abort late term for no medical reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies