Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I think that if it wasn't for family members & others in society's (possible) negative feelings, opinions & comments, that more white men would date/marry black women. But because white men don't want to look "bad" in the eyes of their parents, other relatives, maybe coworkers, & strangers in society, meaning being stared at, talked about behind their back, thought of in a different light, possibly have biracial children, etc., they tend to stay away & not date/marry black women.

Many parents today still are willing to disown their kids if they date/marry the "wrong" race person, which is a real shame! TONS & TONS of black men date/marry white women, so why not a lot more white male/black female relationships?

And please, no one say anything to cause this thread to be closed. (And please, no one think I'm trying to be racist...I'm a biracial person myself.)
It still boils down to attraction, having common interests, and meeting each other. I'm white and my gf is black and I can honestly say that we never had any issue from her family or mine. We have, however, had some issues with other women and men. She's even had guys come up to her acting like she owes them a date simply bc they are black and she is as well.

Most black women, in my experience, aren't really wanting a white guy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
I never really considered it. The first girl I ever seriously kissed, and the first girl with whom I had sex (two different girls) both happened to be black. It just worked out that way. I wasn't intentionally going for any particular girl of any particular skin tone.

I certainly wouldn't avoid loving feelings or a relationship with someone just because of their culture, national origin, religion, skin color, etc...

The color of a person's skin is about the least important thing about them. Anyone who has an issue with that can kiss my very large white butt.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
See, I find this interesting, if true. I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, and I certainly am not debating your personal experience; I just find it somewhat curious.

For me, I never understood being turned off or on by a specific "type" of the opposite sex, be it height, weight, color, etc.

I know a lot of guys--maybe even most guys I know--who seem to have a "thing" for a certain "type"--they prefer very petite, slender women, or are all about leggy blondes, or they like 'em plump, or they have a fetish for Asian women, or red-heads, etc., etc.

I can honestly say I just love and am attracted to women in general (I say this as a very happily married man who is completely faithful) in the sense that women of every possible "look" and attribute can be very appealing and interesting to me. I don't mean this disrespectfully at all; I have great admiration and respect for women as a rule.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
Quote:
I think that if it wasn't for family members & others in society's (possible) negative feelings, opinions & comments, that more white men would date/marry black women. But because white men don't want to look "bad" in the eyes of their parents, other relatives, maybe coworkers, & strangers in society, meaning being stared at, talked about behind their back, thought of in a different light, possibly have biracial children, etc., they tend to stay away & not date/marry black women.

Many parents today still are willing to disown their kids if they date/marry the "wrong" race person, which is a real shame! TONS & TONS of black men date/marry white women, so why not a lot more white male/black female relationships?

And please, no one say anything to cause this thread to be closed. (And please, no one think I'm trying to be racist...I'm a biracial person myself.)
I don't think white men care what their parents or anyone else thinks. I think they care less what others think than anyone else in our society. I think the biggest reason more white men are not attracted to black women is the way black women are portrayed in this society. black women are as diverse as any other group of people, but you wouldn't know that from the media. most white men don't actually know, personally, any black women. of course, most white men would still be primarily attracted to their own women. that's only natural, imo.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
Quote:

also wanted to add that though "tons" of black men date white women, tons of white women do not date black men.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
I've had a number of friends whose families ranged from slightly to extremely racist. It always makes me chuckle when one of them brings home a black boy/girl. Some people are stupid enough to make broad sweeping assumptions about people purely based on the melanin production in their skin. I love it when those stupid people are essentially forced to eat their words and make nice because a black boy/girl might just be a part of the family forever. (Never knew any of them that actually disowned their kid over it, that's just crazy!)

Racism has amused me ever since I heard of it. I grew up with parents who were about as non-racist as you get. I remember hearing the N-word at school and not having a clue what it meant. Just figured it was another word like "geek" "jerk" etc. Eventually I figured out that it was referring to black people. Ever since then I've been fascinated that racism even exists.

I'm a white guy and I married a white gal. If I had fallen in love with a black girl then I probably would have ended up marrying a black girl. I don't think it would have mattered at all to my family. Makes me grateful that I'm not married to a bunch of bigots.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Black guys have been dating white women for a long long time as opposed to the other way, so I figure if a black woman wants to date interracially, but all means she should do it... lord knows the guys have been for a long time. I also think that there is more pressure in the black community for black women to be "loyal" but the guys get free reign.... sound like BS to me....
Only in the U.S. are black women less likely to date out. When you travel abroad, many black women are in interracial unions.

Generally speaking, I think it's easier for black women to connect with European white men, than American white men, for a number of reasons.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
My "forgiveness" list includes Noelle from "Fitz and the Tantrums". Anyone who thinks the majority of white men aren't attracted to black women is a fool. Furthermore, ever heard of a history book? Seems to me, many of our founding fathers were also.

I myself am a Jewish white guy (Norwegian/German descent) married to a Mexican-American woman. We are both very stereotypical in our appearance. Some in my family had issues with creed while some in hers with my race. We've been married for 15 years now and had a rough patch about 9 years ago. We almost divorced.

Guess who was up here immediately when they caught wind? Pretty much everyone that had an issue before, that is who. No way in hell they were going to let us get divorced. Funny how that works sometimes, isn't it.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
In most instances, it's not because the guy is "white;" it's more or less the negative history that both, black American women and white American men haven't been able to bury, collectively. White American guys for the most part do not consider black women, as a viable dating option (and vice versa). I have however noticed that when black women leave the States and are exposed to non American white guys, who do not share the same negative/stereotypical views about black women, the situation changes, and black women are very likely to date inter-racially.

I'll never forget my experience studying abroad in Geneva Switzerland and Paris. A number of European guys would stop me, while I was out and about and ask me out on a date. Initially, I was caught off guard, because I hadn't really experienced white guys being so forward in the past, but then I quickly realized that these guys did not view black women from the same lens as many white American men, so the circumstances were very different.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,342,103 times
I don't think societies opinion is as much of a deterrent to wm/bf couples as it is that black women are just very difficult to socialize with. I work with a lot of black women. They are very sweet to me but their mannerisms are without a doubt a big turnoff to probably anyone but black men. Ebonics and spitfire attitudes just don't mold well with most white guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies