Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM

8,661 posts, read 9,199,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I've been telling people for years now that there are too many civilians getting paid 3X as much as military and DOD workers working on bases and in other government locations. this happens because these companies make campaign donations and get rewarded with government contracts. a lot of the jobs these people are doing could be done by people already on the government's payroll. it's really ridiculous when you drive up to a military base and there are civilian security guards running the gate.
That has always annoyed me. Contracting out security for a military base? Very strange and bad mojo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,156,968 times
PBS said tonight that he was fired by employer for ethics violation ;whatever that is.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM

3,600 posts, read 6,802,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You need to let the folks in this area who lost 40% of their house value know about the housing market being "essentially unaffected".
DC area proper (close to inside beltway) excluding PG county has barely been hit. PG county is a different beast....we all know that.

Of course if u are further out Prince William, Loudon, Frederick u felt most of the housing pinch.

My friend purchased 3000 sq foot Bethesda home that was sold in 2005 at peak for 1.1 million. He purchased it for 1.1 million in 2012.

My sister purchased home in heart of Tyson's corner in end of 2004 for $800k. Her neighbors are selling those same homes in the low 900s these days.

That's what I mean by housing has barely been touched.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,976,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
PBS said tonight that he was fired by employer for ethics violation ;whatever that is.
It means he had a conscience. They don't want folks with integrity working for the NSA.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,741,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yep. I agree. Sad thing is people don't realize physican salaries make up less than 9% of total health care spending. There are a lot of middle guys in the medical business (insurance , big pharma, device makers etc). Everyone wants a cut.

Problem is u cut the middle guys out. Unemployment will skyrocket. Same thing as defense spending cuts.

That's why lawmakers talk tough about spending cuts but they aren't serious about either medical or defense spending. They know what jobs will be lost with cuts in either industry.
Oh I believe they realize your salary, they just don't care about you. They need 20k a DAY for their re-election campaign.

So unemployment skyrockets, that would be the catilist to toss all those criminals in DC to the curb. Sure it would hurt, but it is the only thing people would respond to.

Here is what the GP's down here have started. It's called MD-VIP, and you probably have heard of it. A annual fee of $1,500 and you are guaranteed 30-45 minutes with the Dr. You or your insurance is billed as normal. They take 1,000 patients max. So that guarantee's them an income stream of 150k before insurance billing. It isn't a smashing success yet, but growing and will probably grow more next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I don't like the subject line. Just because he's a government contractor doesn't mean he should sacrifice the idea of getting paid for performance. I have a GED and made a lot more than that per year working for one of the companies you hint at above.

But I made millions for that company. They treated me well and whatever gifts that I had that might have been above average I sweated out for them.

Based on prima facie, this guy was pretty damn good. This isn't some disgruntled private. He appears to have a clear head, skills to deliver the data without getting caught and the forethought on where to go outside of the country. And so far he's been careful on what he's leaked. If he gets too specific in the future I'll gladly fly the drone over there.

So I rebut your implication on two grounds. One, he very well might be gifted and deserving of the money even if he isn't a Bill Gates. I wasn't either. And, he shouldn't have to give that up just because he's doing something for the good guys (I know not anymore).

Booz-Allen is not paying for him per head (chances are). They are probably paying for a solution that might include an FTE count. I've been in that position too. I don't think Booz-Allen was just pimping him out as a staffing firm. I think he was part of a solution package. Correct me if I'm wrong on that but even if I am I don't think it would change anything. If he's delivering value then he's worth the negotiated price.

There are IT positions for contractors that aren't doing top secret work that the market rate is $100 per hour. That's not the billed rate but what they get paid. So from what I know of his career skills (please God don't let him be tech stupid but still able to sneak our stuff out of the country) as long as he's making $100 per hour or less it seems reasonable to me.
I agree. I only had a 10 grade education when I joined the USAF in 1960. Got my GED went and to AFSOC school, left the AF in late 65 and started my own business. I'm now very comfortably retired. A person doesn't have to go to college to be smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Here's a good example. My brother supervised this guy in the Air Force. The guy was discharged and medically retired for sleep apnea. I'm still not sure how you "catch" sleep apnea in the service but anyhoo.

So the guy then applies for the civilian version of his job BUT the only thing that opened up was shop supervisor. So the guy my bro trained is now his boss. I can't blame the guy for taking a medical retirement but how many people would get that chance for sleep apnea and then turn right around and get the job back at higher pay?
That was happening back in the early 60's. Heck we even had civi cooks back then when I was stationed oversees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Saw their notice earlier on the web. Face saving release that's all. They all are liars, and people just believe anything that comes out of their mouths. Unbelievable.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,582,094 times
Exactly what skills does a GED provide that are worth $120K-$200K?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,792,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
A contractor is nothing more than a temp job. It pays well but there are zero benefits. The agency that places the contractor gets paid out of that, too. They get their cut before the contractor gets paid.
Maybe. People aren't used to the term "vendor" as much as "contract". My last government bid I was employed by a Fortune 500 company that paid me well and had full benefits. We had customers all over but I was mostly at one location where I had my own office.

So from my perspective I was a well paid IT pro getting salary, vacation, medical, 401K, stock purchase etc. etc. I wasn't a cog hired out to some machine. Part of the contract required so many hours per week for someone to be onsite to take care of trouble.

So the fact that there is a contract is what makes people lump it in as contractor but I think that's inaccurate.

When companies use contractors to balance staffing or for special projects, they are considered contingent employees. They are hired for a particular job or mission and when that mission is done so is their contract. But in that case, Microsoft is paying a company like Volt to provide a certain number of heads. The contract isn't with the worker but with Volt. The difference is renting a head versus buying a solution.

Every year my company's contract had to be renewed but that was mostly to adjust costs and duties. My job was never in jeopardy. I never stood by nervous hoping I'd be renewed. It was just a formality.

I'd compare it with the workers that were at NASA. Their company was hired to do a job and most of the people that did those jobs worked for that company. But again NASA was buying a solution from the vendor not renting heads for a temp job.

So the term "contractor" is too generic at this point. Not sure if it even matters but I haven't seen much specific about how his position was structured.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That has always annoyed me. Contracting out security for a military base? Very strange and bad mojo.
Yeah, I don't like that either. How many bases just don't have them at all? I think plenty of Army bases are drive on unless there's an alert.

Watch, they'll farm out MPs next. And 20 years later they'll realize it didn't save any money but it lessened efficiency and unit moral.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,227,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This would be the first time I have ever seen a physician type like that.
Aren't there at least 8 conservatives members on this board who claim to be physicians, surgeons at that.

What's up with that

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Exactly what skills does a GED provide that are worth $120K-$200K?
I don't recommend that route and everyone should have some college but for some exceptional people they have skills that can't be gotten from a piece of paper.

To do it proper you should graduate from high school and then drop out of college. I wish I would have done that but instead I dropped out of HS, went to night school, dropped out, and then went to college and dropped out.

Again, not a path one should plan or rely on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies