Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM

11,161 posts, read 10,743,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I didn't say they should. You should go back and reread what I wrote, because you've not understood it at all.

That is your preference. It is only your preference. People who care about what kind of world we're leaving their grandchildren and great-grandchildren disagree with you.
People who care about what kind of world we're leaving behind wouldn't be driving electric or hybrid cars. The people who purchase electric cars are the idiots who haven't figured out that the entire marketing scheme behind them is based on feeling good about yourself. The salesperson isn't going to tell you that the average electric car manufacturing process throws more than twice the amount of "greenhouse" emissions into the atmosphere. Nor is the salesperson going to explain to you that every time you charge your electric vehicle from your home electrical outlet you are dumping nearly the same amount of emissions into the air as you would by driving a fully gas-powered vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against moving forward on electrics and hybrids, but my concern is mainly the eventual loss of fossil fuels. The environmental impact of these vehicle is very similar to the environmental impact of ICE cars. Don't tell the environmentalists that, though, it would remove some of the amusement from my life if they realized the hypocrisy of their hybrids and stopped driving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, urbanites are all for that one.
That's essentially how it works now, the more you travel the more gas you purchase, the more tax you pay. The larger your vehicle the more damage it does, you're also using more gas and paying more tax. It's not perfect but it's actually one of the fairer taxes we have.

The problem here is how to fairly assess these taxes on vehicles not using gasoline for fuel .

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Quote:
So we have to do the best we can within the parameters of the valid alternatives. That's part of life.
But again how do you fairly assess this tax on hybrid other than miles driven? A flat tax may not be fair to the either the hybrid driver or the gasoline powered driver.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,240,381 times
Quote:
That is your preference. It is only your preference. People who care about what kind of world we're leaving their grandchildren and great-grandchildren disagree with you.
You're right. I do not believe the government should do this. You do. I don't believe by the way that the government should be distorting the cost of drilling for oil either.

By your standard, shouldn't the government reward people who choose to ride their bike? What about people who ride a scooter?

What about rewarding people who don't get fat? Or perhaps the same thing is to penalize people who get fat? Shouldn't the government pick winners and losers in health too?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,730,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But again how do you fairly assess this tax on hybrid other than miles driven?
Did you read the message you replied to? It appears not.

"So we have to do the best we can within the parameters of the valid alternatives. That's part of life."

Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,177,739 times
Here's an idea... MOST hybrid cars and all electric cars have to be recharged, right? Place a monitor on the charging station that based on electrical usage places a specific tax on the bill that the electric company collects, and then forwards to the government.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,383,154 times
Why not just use registration fees in addition to gas taxes to fund the roads? That way everyone who owns a vehicle has to pay.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,730,808 times
Registration fees go to the state that vehicle is registered in, not necessarily to the state which contains the roads that the vehicle drives on. (In other words, the registration fee approach is good for states [like NH] where there are a lot of people who live there but regularly drive to another state to work, and bad for states [like MA] where there are a lot of job opportunities that attract residents of other states to commute in.)

Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM

11,156 posts, read 29,381,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Roads and bridges are primarily funded through fuel taxes, cars using electric and other alternative fuels need to pay their fair share. It's simple as that.
I totally agree with you Dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies