Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times

Advertisements

No, there is no system that will allow you to pick and choose your offense against another.

You either support a system that protects liberty entirely, or you don't. Everything in between is one ideal or another being forced on those within the system.

Most people want a system of double standards and a system that is setup to allow such will change constantly based on the powers controlling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus36 View Post
So I was never very political in my youth and I have never voted (yeah, sue me). When I was in my mid- to late teens, I read some books on anarchy and while I didn't fully support that system, the idea of ultimate freedom was kind of interesting. So here's my stance on the so-called "key issues" that I hear discussed every-freaking-where I go. I've made them short and hopefully understandable for my enquiry.

Gay marriage: Absolutely support it, I think it's ridiculous that something like this even needs to be discussed.

Abortion: Should be legal. Obviously.

Freedom of speech: All for it, always, love rap music, despise censorship of all kinds. That also goes for nudity and sexual openness and whatnot. Very liberal on all that stuff.

However..

Illegal immigration: Very very conservative, would deport practically anyone that's broken these laws. Would also stop about 90% of legal immigration for a good 10 years to let the dust settle. Maybe keep it for super-immediate relatives like spouses and minor children.

Religion: Grew up with organized religion, can't stand it, don't believe in God. I never try to get people to change their beliefs either but I am definitely not spiritual and I don't think the church should be involved in politics.

Guns: Eh. I do go to the range every now and again because I enjoy letting off steam that way but I do not own a gun. Not really too worried about the issue. I mean, our access is a little too easy but it's not something I think about daily.

I also don't want to pay higher taxes just because I make more money than some people.

So there. It's like this stuff goes together well in my head but I can never find common ground with other people. Because all the liberals I seem to meet that agree with me about those first points, get disgusted when I say we should have a mass deportation. Like America's the only country in the world you're not allowed to feel patriotic towards, like we're racist for wanting to preserve our culture. Pisses me off.

And my more conservative views are shared by so many religious folk and close-minded people that I really really do not want to be associated with. When I was discussing this with a friend of mine who's fairly political, he said I should look into libertarianism and read something by Ron Paul. But he's really really into Ron Paul so I'm not sure if he really felt like my ideas would match his or if he was just trying to convert me.

Anyway, I now feel, in my mid 20s, that I want to understand more but I can't seem to find a box that I would even remotely fit in.

Thanks for reading.
My views are similar to your views, I'm a conservative fiscally, but not with social issues. I think Liberals have too many rules to follow and I'm not into the whole PC crap they spout. I was raised Catholic, but after giving it some thought, I'm not a believer.
I'm anti gun control because I know no matter how strict the gun laws, the criminals will be armed, and Chicago is a perfect example.

There was a thread a while back that had a small test to find out your political leanings. I'm a Libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies