Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He stood up for what he believed.

Good for him.
Atheists be damned.............pun intended.
That's quite amusing, of course atheists know they aren't (damned) - because they don't believe in damnation.

But whatever floats.... good to know the message of peace and love towards one's fellow man is strong with those who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus (that was the dude, no?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I personally don't know anybody who is "fearful" in the presence of a person praying. I do, however, know several people who think it is inappropriate in a larger group, especially if people's religious affiliation (or lack thereof) is unknown.

I don't mind it in a society that is traditionally homogenous in that respect. My friends in Turkey would alway pray to Allah and I didn't find it offensive, either. I don't find it offensive when I am in the presence of any religious congregation, either. I expect it. The US is not such a homogeneous nation - it is very diverse.

I was taught that religion is a private matter and I have always treated it as such - it is not used as a display aimed at elevating a praying person above others, to send a message to others along the lines of moral superiority or "I gotcha now!," to highlight spiritual differences between people, or to ostracize others on purpose.

These days, religion is, again, often used as a weapon to divide. I find it sad and believe it is ultimately counter-productive to the message of Christianity.
I have always been taught that religion is a personal thing, and not something to be ashamed or proud of. It's a part of who I am. To say that someone is trying to elevate themselves above others by praying is a concept I don't understand.

If someone goes to a gay pride parade, are they expressing a part of who they are or raising themselves above others? If a Hispanic person gives their graduation speech in Spanish so their parents, yet not their classmates can understand, are they raising themselves above others or sharing a part of who they are?

I disagree that saying a prayer is a "gotcha" moment. Reaching milestones in life are spiritual things to some people and they react spiritually. I don't belong to a church but feel close to God. I don't feel offended if someone makes the sign of the cross or responds in a way in keeping of their own spirituality. how ridiculous is that? I recognize differences in people and respect them. I would never force someone to pray, but I won't give up my right to either. I hurt no one by doing so. They have the right to ignore me or respond from their own personal experience.

I don't mean to offend anyone but to find it counter productive to acknowledge a part of who I am or to assume it is a weapon to divide seems like a very narrow point of view. If I feel God has had a hand in my reaching a goal I feel I have the right to thank Him for that. Many students thank their parents for helping them along the way...Is that divisive and counter productive to those that have lost their parents at a young age, such as me? I never feel offended when I hear them say things like that. I'm happy for them that they have parents just as I'm happy for anyone that has something they believe in. We live in a diverse nation...we have to learn to accept the differences within us. We aren't all the same and we all accomplish things that we chose to accomplish. Some have higher or different goals. So be it.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM

382 posts, read 722,103 times
Does it really take a lot of "courage" to recite the Lord's Prayer in South Carolina? I lived in Texas, where high school football games had prayers broadcast over the speakers, concluding with "in Jesus' name. Amen." But maybe the South took a secular turn when I wasn't looking.

I'm an atheist, but I don't care if students pray, have Bible study, sacrifice themselves to Moloch, etc., as long as it's not mandated or endorsed by public schools and their representatives, and it's not taking time away from classroom hours.

But with all due respect, I don't understand why American Christians feel like they're constantly under attack in this, the most religious developed nation in the world. I haven't noticed a lack of churches, Christian radio stations and TV broadcasts, pamphlets, testimonies from friends/coworkers/strangers/politicians, or religious editorials in the local paper, especially in the South.

In all seriousness, if you want to demonstrate your faith in a "courageous" fashion, why not get radical and turn the other cheek, give your cloak to someone suing you for your tunic, tell me wear I can buy a cloak and tunic in this day and age, and love your enemies (and each other) as you claim Jesus loves you? I suspect such behavior might inspire potential converts more powerfully than any calculated spectacle or viral video would.

But then again, I'm not a Christian, so don't take my word for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
At the high school where I taught for 25 years, we had at least two vals who made a 'statement' at graduation by giving an unapproved speech. Both had their transcripts withheld and their college recommendation letters rescinded. One lost his scholarship to a very prestigious university. Rules are rules - you break them, you'd better be ready to suffer the consequences.
Apparently, you missed this:

A South Carolina school district says it will not take any action against a high school valedictorian who ripped up his approved speech and instead recited the Lord's Prayer at graduation

Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What religion was endorsed?

Was it the Catholic, Methodist, Jewish, which one.

"Activities that are conducted by students ON BEHALF of a public school can, therefore, not endorse a religion."

The Founding Fathers had a Chaplin give a prayer before EVERY meeting the had in writing the Constitution.

Then please explain that a Chaplain gives a prayer before EVERY formal session in Congress.

In fact explain that here is even a Chaplin in the first place.

Jefferson, Adams and many other founding Fathers ATTENDED Sunday RELIGIOUS service IN THE CAPITOL for many years.

You can try all you want to interpret what the Founding Fathers meant. I will go by what they ACTUALLY did.
None on behalf of the school. That's why this is a non-issue. It was a personal "speech."

The founding fathers clearly wanted to allow for freedom of religion, regardless of their own religious beliefs. What they thought or not about locations of worship at this point is irrelevant. This nation has changed - or do you still get around by horse and buggy? - and so has our understanding of our most fundamental laws.

Years ago, people were vastly unaware that people of differing beliefs would even be intimidated or ostracized by the constant bombardment with Christian symbols and speeches. Just like they were unaware that negroes were actual human beings with feelings.

The founding fathers also made it clear that everyone, including themselves, is free to practice their religion. Thus, they practiced theirs.

Some of them owned slaves. Do you? Remember, you go by what the founding fathers did, not how we interpret their intentions today?

Why are you so angry? Do you have a tough time acknowledging that one of the amendments to the constitution specifically mentions freedom of religion? Do you hate America? And why are you yelling?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
For whoever left me a comment asking for a link.
Post #40

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I have always been taught that religion is a personal thing, and not something to be ashamed or proud of. It's a part of who I am. To say that someone is trying to elevate themselves above others by praying is a concept I don't understand.

If someone goes to a gay pride parade, are they expressing a part of who they are or raising themselves above others? If a Hispanic person gives their graduation speech in Spanish so their parents, yet not their classmates can understand, are they raising themselves above others or sharing a part of who they are?

I disagree that saying a prayer is a "gotcha" moment. Reaching milestones in life are spiritual things to some people and they react spiritually. I don't belong to a church but feel close to God. I don't feel offended if someone makes the sign of the cross or responds in a way in keeping of their own spirituality. how ridiculous is that? I recognize differences in people and respect them. I would never force someone to pray, but I won't give up my right to either. I hurt no one by doing so. They have the right to ignore me or respond from their own personal experience.

I don't mean to offend anyone but to find it counter productive to acknowledge a part of who I am or to assume it is a weapon to divide seems like a very narrow point of view. If I feel God has had a hand in my reaching a goal I feel I have the right to thank Him for that. Many students thank their parents for helping them along the way...Is that divisive and counter productive to those that have lost their parents at a young age, such as me? I never feel offended when I hear them say things like that. I'm happy for them that they have parents just as I'm happy for anyone that has something they believe in. We live in a diverse nation...we have to learn to accept the differences within us. We aren't all the same and we all accomplish things that we chose to accomplish. Some have higher or different goals. So be it.
I believe you misunderstood. By no means do I want to include all Christians in this. Rather, it is some people who do so. I have the utmost respect for those who follow Christ's teachings. For those who use it to divide, ostracize, use it as a means to elevate themselves above others, not so much.

Now, ripping up an approved speech in order to pray - that looks like a "gotcha" moment to me.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Apparently, you missed this:

A South Carolina school district says it will not take any action against a high school valedictorian who ripped up his approved speech and instead recited the Lord's Prayer at graduation
Well, it's South Carolina - did you really expect a repercussion for reciting The Lord's Prayer??

If this particular school district had a rule that all valedictory speeches had to be pre-approved and this student broke that rule, then he should be punished. It has nothing to do with the contents of his speech and everything to do with not following the rules.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If it was a Muslim prayer, ending with "Allahu Akbar!" you can bet the same people would be screaming bloody murder.
Just because they would be as wrong as those who complain here really isn't much of an argument.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, it's South Carolina - did you really expect a repercussion for reciting The Lord's Prayer??

If this particular school district had a rule that all valedictory speeches had to be pre-approved and this student broke that rule, then he should be punished. It has nothing to do with the contents of his speech and everything to do with not following the rules.
Well, he's not gonna be punished so you'll just have to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies