Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,279,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That was the plan, the whole thing was to collect more taxes, not improve insurance.
And expand the power of the IRS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,991,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We could have paid for all of this with what we are spending in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, libya etc and wouldn't have this problem.
Nope. Without the wars would have had more pork barrel spending then we have now. Before the wars they were taking money out of the SSI acct and replacing them with IOU's to cover up the debts.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,207,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And the wing nuts go "Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaaa, I'm gonna take my ball and go home!".
Young people tend to be more liberal, you're calling them wing nuts?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 AM

15,909 posts, read 21,627,279 times
Young people aren't buying health insurance not because they don't think they need it, but because it seems unafforable or is not available. Had a preexisting condition as a kid (asthma, depression, or, in my case, bladder issues that hadn't caused problems in a decade)? Tough luck, no health insurance for you. Don't have health insurance through work? If you have so much as been to a doctor in the past year, it seems like they raise the health insurance costs.

I've told my story a million times - diagnosed with stage IV cancer at 23, had only been insured for 3 or 4 months prior. Before that, I was unable to get health insurance on the private market because of very minor pre-existing conditions. This was shortly before you could stay on your parents' health insurance until you're 26 - but that didn't help me. My parents were uninsured and uninsurable after job loss and medical issues. If I had not been lucky enough to be in a position to move cross-country at the drop of a hat for a job that offered benefits, every single one of you would be paying for my cancer treatment. I've been working full time for 3 years and even if every single dollar I have earned (in my far from minimum wage job) was tripled, it still would not come close to paying for my treatment... plus there are of course living expenses, medications, etc.

70,000 young adults are diagnosed with cancer each year. That's a small chunk... but many more are hurt in car accidents or other injuries. Plus there are many diseases such as schizophrenia, MS, and lupus that often are diagnosed when you are in your early 20s.

That's why I support Obamacare. No one should be told they don't deserve to live because they have only been in the workforce a few months and can't afford treatment. And that is exactly how our current system works. I'd rather die than be in $300,000+ of debt that I did not chose to go into.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,055,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
All this is is a transfer of wealth from healthy people to lazy degenerate types.
That's what we already have -- people like you have insurance and when you go to the hospital they build into overhead the cost of treating freeloaders. Now, Obamacare makes the freeloaders pay in.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,488,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's what we already have -- people like you have insurance and when you go to the hospital they build into overhead the cost of treating freeloaders. Now, Obamacare makes the freeloaders pay in.
Not it doesnt.. Obamacare makes the freeloaders pay a tax to the government, not to cover insurance

Freeloaders will still get care without paying their bills..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM

5,742 posts, read 3,288,822 times

Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,554,721 times
I hope Obamacare collapses.

It's the next logical step in the move towards single payer, which would be a boon to the economy.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:03 AM

41,021 posts, read 49,661,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And the wing nuts go "Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaaa, I'm gonna take my ball and go home!".
.... and the Libs cry Racist, Racist, Racist then get in a flight at their kids Kindergarten graduation.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,488,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I hope Obamacare collapses.

It's the next logical step in the move towards single payer, which would be a boon to the economy.
How do you figure? Think everyone will suddenly get sick and the government can stimulate the economy by all of the medical cost payments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies