Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times

Advertisements

Not asking you what you want to happen. I'm asking you to guess what you think will happen. Will Chris Christie temporarily (until there is an election) replace Frank Lautenberg (D) in the US Senate with a Democrat or a Republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 AM

45,457 posts, read 60,680,465 times
What does New Jersey law have to say about it? Some states allow the Governor some latitude, some don't. Others require a quick special election.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What does New Jersey law have to say about it? Some states allow the Governor some latitude, some don't. Others require a quick special election.
Maybe this will confuse things even more. Apparently Christie has a choice OF WHEN he will allow an election but until then he still gets to appoint a temp.

Lautenberg leaves tricky political question for Christie - CNN.com

Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,873,563 times
He will pick a moderate Repub, AKA sensible. if he can find one anywhere. He can't pick a Dem and expect to have any chance at GOP nomination in 2016. He can't pick a Repub TNut and expect to be reelected Gov in NJ.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,371,754 times
His best bet would be to pick Booker {D} who is going to win the seat anyways. He can not win the {R} nomination in 16 and his best bet is to switch parties and beat up Hillary all the way to the convention. He can always say he is not going to tow the line for the {R} party and he is doing what is right for NJ.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,370,255 times
this is his defining moment.
odds are he screwes it up

Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,258,837 times
"His best bet would be to pick Booker {D} who is going to win the seat anyways. He can not win the {R} nomination in 16 and his best bet is to switch parties and beat up Hillary all the way to the convention. He can always say he is not going to tow the line for the {R} party and he is doing what is right for NJ."

Booker!!???

He can't even do what is right for Newark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a Newark driven popularity contest or at least it shouldn't be but it will be.

Problem is the profoundly uninformed electorate in NJ goes for appearance rather than accomplishment.

Booker may be a nice guy but his accomplishments amount to emergency rescue of two people.

Meanwhile Newark's daily bag limit has increased under his watch from more than a murder a month. So you are right, Booker will win and the state will continue to enjoy its cartoonish and well deserved corrupt reputation as a lucrative feeding trough for politicians and their cronies and as home of feel good laws endorsed by a barely intelligible population.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
His best bet would be to pick Booker {D} who is going to win the seat anyways. He can not win the {R} nomination in 16 and his best bet is to switch parties and beat up Hillary all the way to the convention. He can always say he is not going to tow the line for the {R} party and he is doing what is right for NJ.
Have you heard him lately? He has repeated over and over, he is a die hard Republican. No, that isn't the same as a conservative and yes, he has been a great governor or that is how it appears, but I do not see him even considering switching parties. I happen to like him, but for a lot of reasons I do not think he is electable as President and no, the smart thing would not be to appoint a Democrat. Talk about looking too political, wow!!! I think he will go moderate Republican, that would be the safest thing for him to do. If he goes Democrat or too far to the right, he will be telling the country I don't think I care about being President.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 AM

164 posts, read 197,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not asking you what you want to happen. I'm asking you to guess what you think will happen. Will Chris Christie temporarily (until there is an election) replace Frank Lautenberg (D) in the US Senate with a Democrat or a Republican?

Well, we already know Christie is a fraud, let us just preface everything with this out in front. He is a populist who blows with the wind and has no principles.

Anyway, if he has a shred of common sense he will appoint a Republican, since as far as I know he is still a Republican (officially).

Picking a senator (a Dem) that will further damage your party, beliefs, agenda, principles (rofl) and credibility is the stupidest idea I've ever heard of and how this is even a consideration is baffling and laughable.

There is no choice for anyone with one ounce of respect and dignity, you always further your cause without remorse.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,341,775 times
I like Christie, but if he doesn't pick a Republican he'll be trounced in the primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies