Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times

Advertisements

Conservatives often like to pick on the poor and ask why they are not paying their fair share of taxes for the services that they receive...

...Well since the military has expensive operating costs, I'd like to ask what is the people's fair share of the expenses of military conquests. Many military conquests are done as favors, and a few recent presidents seemed to have used the military for their own personal gain.

...While I think that the costs for the defense of the nation should be evenly among each and every one of us, I can't help but wonder why can't those who use the military for offensive conquests pay for it out of their own pockets rather than using the tax payers dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Damn, didn't expect to get silence, but I've been wondering about this for a bit of time...

...Does being the police of the world make you more secure, or does it get you more trouble than what you start with?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Conservatives often like to pick on the poor and ask why they are not paying their fair share of taxes for the services that they receive...

...Well since the military has expensive operating costs, I'd like to ask what is the people's fair share of the expenses of military conquests. Many military conquests are done as favors, and a few recent presidents seemed to have used the military for their own personal gain.

...While I think that the costs for the defense of the nation should be evenly among each and every one of us, I can't help but wonder why can't those who use the military for offensive conquests pay for it out of their own pockets rather than using the tax payers dime.
If presidents were personally financially liable for all military actions not done in accordance with the Constitution (i.e. declared by Congress), then there would be far fewer military actions of this type.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If presidents were personally financially liable for all military actions not done in accordance with the Constitution (i.e. declared by Congress), then there would be far fewer military actions of this type.
It's not only presidents, it's their friends, private contractors, etc. I think it's a lot more than one person benefiting from a military conquest, rather than just one president.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,870,093 times
If wars were not profitable for the corporations we wouldn't be having them.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Damn, didn't expect to get silence, but I've been wondering about this for a bit of time...

...Does being the police of the world make you more secure, or does it get you more trouble than what you start with?
Write your Congress critter and ask them.

Remember it takes a majority to fund our global wars and that means BOTH SIDES.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:

This is why i've been a proponent of a War Tax for years, and it should be a steep one too. Enough to really impact the family budget. Wars should be pay as you go. If that were the case, we'd have a whole lot less of them.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is why i've been a proponent of a War Tax for years, and it should be a steep one too. Enough to really impact the family budget. Wars should be pay as you go. If that were the case, we'd have a whole lot less of them.
Actually, it was originally called the income tax, a tax needed to pay off the civil war. When the civil war debt was payed off, the government didn't want to let go of that money, and you know how things went from there...

Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,426,147 times
Quote:

LOL, Hurricane, Don't dish it out if you can't take it when it comes back.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
LOL, Hurricane, Don't dish it out if you can't take it when it comes back.
I can take it, I want to hear it from all the war hawks what their financial justifications are for running offensive operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies