Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:06 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,165,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It sure is easier to blame the big guy than realize that actual people are buying homes they can't afford, isn't it?

And did you even read that article? It said that 1/3 of foreclosures had to battle POTENTIALLY wrongful efforts when they wanted to have their mortgages restructured or payments delayed. So now a family buys a home they cannot afford, they want to change the terms of their legally binding contract, the bank doesn't change the terms and that is corruption in terms of the bank?

You have to actually read the article next time. A bank doesn't have a requirement to change the terms of its contracts when a person can no longer pay. When does the homebuyer take an ounce of responsibility for the home they cannot afford? I know you are 100% in favor of blaming banks for everything (and people for nothing), but that is ridiculous.
Did you miss the point about people making their payments and still being foreclosed upon?? Not all of the cases were where people simply could not pay.

How is it BANK ERROR if the borrower fails to pay the loan?

I blame the banks where blame is due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,240,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Did you miss the point about people making their payments and still being foreclosed upon?? Not all of the cases were where people simply could not pay.

How is it BANK ERROR if the borrower fails to pay the loan?

I blame the banks where blame is due.
The bank is to blame for that select person in that one article. The problem is that sample size of one does not make a trend, as much as you want it to be. You can find a scumbag in any industry, that does not mean the entire industry is corrupt.

You still didn't address my point. Why is it a bank's fault when a person takes out a mortgage for more than they can afford to pay? If a person borrows more money than they can afford to pay back, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM

26,683 posts, read 15,240,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What's your age range? Probably says a lot about your position. I'm guessing your middle aged or a Boomer.
I am in my mid 30s and a teacher at a school that is designated as "least funded" by the state.

It comes down to choices.

Per the NY Times, 49% of the middle class will retire poor or near poor. 75% of people near retirement have less than $30K. This is less the result of evil corporations, but rather middle class people making poor choices and living above their means and in debt.

A single buck a day into the S and P 500 fund over the past 40 years would have yielded over $100K with dividends reinvested. You are telling me the middle class can't even afford that? They don't make choices in this matter?

I know a guy on government assistance, his wife doesn't work and his job isn't full time the entire year, yet still has the money to get a smart phone, satellite TV and NFL Sunday Ticket. He has no savings. His kids wear old outdated clothing and beg for snack foods. He is making a choice is he not? My household makes a lot more than he does...I would LOVE those 3 things that he has, but...I don't have them, because I have a budget and save...save for my kids, save for security, save for retirement. I think it is no coincidence that he complains about how rough he has it and is sympathetic to OWS.

People need to focus on changing the person that has the most influence on their day to day lives - and you can find him in the mirror.

Invest in yourself - get a good degree, read a book, gain a new skill or certificate, exercise more, try to eat better, make a budget, set aside and save, live beneath your means and give time, wisdom and money to others less fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies