Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It can easily happen if you're besieged by a seducing spirit.
Well I have heard that after four vodka's I'm anybody's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not one that believes in discrimination but what you say, reminds me of how the other side would see things: are there black fraternities and how many whites are in them? How about Jewish groups without Christians? We can go on and on. I don't think I would want to belong to an organization that really didn't want me as part of them.
I understand the sentiment with a nod to Groucho Marx, but if people didn't fight to change organizations that discriminated against them, many of us on City-Data would not have rights. Be we Black, Gay or a woman.
Black fraternities, like White fraternities are not allowed to discriminate by law. In practice I'm sure it varies, but at least if one did want to join they do have the law on their side.

Church groups are a different kettle of fish. They are permitted to discriminate by not allowing same - sex couples to marry in their church , synagogue or whatever. In Canada that is the compromise the law gave religious organizations. The reason it's not an issue for gay people is that there are many, many other church's including the Anglican Church of Canada that either performs marriage ceremonies or blessings.

Also many church's have functions outside of performing religious ceremonies and on the most part accept everyone. I for instance a Catholic used to attend Mormon dances as a teenager.

This is from the Boys Scouts of America webpage. Notice they talk about faith in a general term. Not Christian specifically but all the major faiths. Remember though they are NOT a church.

"Young people need faith. There is abundant evidence that children benefit from the moral compass provided by religious tradition. We acknowledge that faith can become an important part of a child's identity. Each of the major faiths breeds hope, optimism, compassion, and a belief in a better tomorrow. Scouting encourages each young person to begin a spiritual journey through the practice of his or her faith tradition. One of the key tenets of Scouting is "duty to God." While Scouting does not define religious belief for its members, it has been adopted by and works with youth programs of all major faiths."

This is from Scouts Canada
"Scouting is based on three broad Principles which represent its fundamental beliefs. These include:

Duty to God: Defined as, The responsibility to adhere to spiritual principles, and thus to the religion that expresses them, and to accept the duties therefrom.
Duty to Others: Defined as, The responsibility to one's local, national and global community members to promote peace, understanding and cooperation, through participation in the development of society, respect for the dignity of one's fellow-beings, and protection of the integrity of the natural world.
Duty to Self: Defined as, The responsibility for the development of oneself to one's full potential physically, intellectually, spiritually and socially
."

but also this from Scouts Canada

"Do You Have to Believe in God to Join Scouts Canada? Is Scouting a Christian Organization?

No, but you must have a basic spiritual belief. Spirituality has been one of the three main principles of Scouting around the world since its inception more than 100 years ago. Scouts Canada is proud of its commitment to diversity and welcomes members of many different faiths and denominations.

You need not belong to an organized religion, but all members must take the Scout Promise in good faith and leaders may include some form of spirituality in their program for the youth. “God” represents spirituality and for some may represent an actual deity, but it may also mean an expression of your personal spirituality.

"Duty to God" as defined by the World Organization of the Scouting Movement, means "a person's relationship with the spiritual values of life, the fundamental belief in a force above mankind."

Are Homosexuals Allowed to Join Scouts Canada?

Scouts Canada does not discriminate for reasons of gender, culture, religious belief or sexual orientation
."

This is where I think Boy Scouts of America is going, albeit slowly.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This poor child is already believing a lie about his sexuality. He is entertaining the idea that he is different and that he feels he is more feminine than other boys and comes to the conclusion he is gay. There are many kinds of gays who get caught up in the lie.. many masculine men who get into the lust end of homosexuality. It is seducing spirits that speak to this child as he comes to the conclusion that he is gay.This message is out there constantly and many are believing the lie.
Actually, it is you telling the lie. We did not choose to be gay as you did not choose to be straight. Nor is there a spirit, that is something people who cannot cope with reality believe in. Nor is it lust, you need to get a life and stop obsessing about gay people, that is if you have a life other than your bible. Which you have chosen to believe in and proselytize. Liar liar pants on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies