Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 AM

373 posts, read 644,585 times

Advertisements

For a cautionary tale, just look to Florida. In 2011, the state passed a law requiring all welfare recipients to be tested before they received help. Applicants had to come up with the $30 to $35 for the test; only those who passed would be reimbursed.
It turned out that of the 4,086 who took the tests, only 108 — just 2.6 percent — failed, most for marijuana. That’s far below the 6 percent state average of Floridians who use drugs. (An analysis by the state showed that the drug testing requirement didn’t tamp down applications.)
Not only was Florida left with mud on its face; it also had a small hole in its pocket. At about $35 per test, the state had to reimburse $118,140. After deducting the “savings” from the 108 who did not receive benefits, Florida lost $45,780.

as you can see from the above snippet, Florida has already overturned the testing for welfare law. They lost money and found few people collecting that tested positive for drug use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I say go for it and to the poor kids whose Mom just lost the welfare because getting high is more important than taking care of her kids, the kids probably already receive free breakfast, lunch and in soem places dinner from the school.
We need ot stop this crutch of welfare. There are way too many people that are on it that shouldn't be and they continue to hobble along. For those that truly need it keep it going to help them.
In MA. we have a huge problem with EBT cards. Money is deposited into these accounts for the holders and there is no accountability for them. It is OK to buy Booze, drugs, get a tattoo, all on the tax payers dime. There is something like 60,000 cards that money gets sent to and the state doesn't know who has those cards and they don't want to crack down on it.
We need to get tough on these programs. America is becoming a country of slobs and low life slackers and they are bankrupting us.
Please.... You have an incredible disbelief clouding your judgement.

I have been getting food stamps for years for my two children and myself. I buy healthy groceries, using my EBT card and coupons in order to stock up when things are on sale.

I have no tattoos, never have done drugs, don't drink alcohol and usually work full time. I am currently unemployed but diligently looking for new employment.

The average person would have no idea that I get food stamps. From the outside looking in, I appear to be a single middle class mom. The truth is I am very low income and have to be thrifty in every way possible to make ends meet.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM

14,420 posts, read 14,344,428 times
Ok, we end welfare benefits for those testing positive for drugs. What happens to their kids? Do they do without food, clothing, and shelter? Or, does the state take all of them and put them in foster care?

This sounds like an idea that somebody spent all of ten minutes thinking through.

To the OP: You do realize welfare benefits are primarily for children don't you?

It figures this is in Florida. You don't get either legislatures or a Governor that are much dumber than Rick Scott is.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-22-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
A couple of things:

1.The state should pay for the test. Expecting people who have no money to come up with money to pay for the test is unfair.

2.This should be for cash benefits, not food benefits. A drug user's children deserve to eat just as often as the children of someone who doesn't have an addiction.

It's hard to imagine someone who can't come up with $35 to take a test...but the majority of people applying for these benefits aren't lazy druggies, they're families who are working hard but still can't make ends meet.

We talk about how the kids are already getting free breakfast and lunch, but they still need dinner, and to eat on the weekends and during the summer. I know people whose kids have a big growth spurt every year about a month after school starts because the kids are actually getting enough food while school is in session. And yes, there are schools that feed the kids during the summer, but someone has to take them there, and the parents can't always afford gas or the meal times don't work with their work schedule.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 AM

541 posts, read 1,146,223 times
Follow the money.

Gov. Rick Scott, who made his money in urgent care clinics, those clinics have now branched out into..............drug testing!!!!! Gov. Scott stands to benefit the most from FL's new policy. Not a bad deal if you have the connections, have a company, run for office, enact laws that help your company!!! This is not about welfare but another politician lining his pockets!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM

6,483 posts, read 6,694,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A couple of things:

2. This should be for cash benefits, not food benefits. A drug user's children deserve to eat just as often as the children of someone who doesn't have an addiction.
Hi Hedgehog_Mom,
I didn't understand this part of your post. If a drug user gets CASH instead of FOOD BENEFITS, don't you think that would increase the chance that the benefits are spent on drugs instead of on food for the kids??

Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just yersterday,some guy I know on SSI,food stamps,and living in Public housing said to me"Why do you work all those hhours(80) and don't have nothing to show for it?"
It took me awhile to think about it,but he is slightly right.
I don't own a home,and I own some cars,something he doesn't have.
The guy smokes and drinks ALL day everyday.

I say we should test for drugs. If I'm working and can't do drugs,why should they?
Maybe you could have said:

1. "I work 80 hours so you'll have something to show for it."
or
2. "It's my tax money, from working all those hours, that pays for your food stamps and Section 8".
or
3. "Maybe if you got a job, I wouldn't have to work so hard."

Oh, wait. You can't say that because you'll embarrass him. Certainly don't want to make him feel small.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Hi Hedgehog_Mom,
I didn't understand this part of your post. If a drug user gets CASH instead of FOOD BENEFITS, don't you think that would increase the chance that the benefits are spent on drugs instead of on food for the kids??
What I mean is, they should have to pass a drug test to get the cash benefits. They should not require a drug test to get the food benefits. The food benefits are used a lot more often by the working poor, families that are working but they don't make enough to buy healthy food.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,761,258 times
All this talk here of "what about the children" goes to show that people who can't afford to be having children SHOULDN'T have children. There are so many ways to prevent unwanted/unplanned pregnancies, and yet some women are still having children that they know they won't be able to provide for.

I don't have any children. Why should I be expected to pick up the tab for someone else's children??? There ought to be a FINE for people who have children that they can't support. Obama wants to fine people for not carrying health insurance. Why doesn't he instead fine them for bringing unwanted/unplanned children into an already-burdened welfare system?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
All this talk here of "what about the children" goes to show that people who can't afford to be having children SHOULDN'T have children. There are so many ways to prevent unwanted/unplanned pregnancies, and yet some women are still having children that they know they won't be able to provide for.

I don't have any children. Why should I be expected to pick up the tab for someone else's children??? There ought to be a FINE for people who have children that they can't support. Obama wants to fine people for not carrying health insurance. Why doesn't he instead fine them for bringing unwanted/unplanned children into an already-burdened welfare system?
For your information, both of my children were wanted. I was married, to a high wage earner, when I had them but he left us and has since had his rights terminated. Not everything is as cut and dry as the anti welfare folks like to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies