Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM

2,810 posts, read 5,662,831 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because these accusations are shaky at best, and even if the worst case were true- that all of this was true- these are really not HUGE deals, not enough to make him out to be a horrible president.
It's not like he's out there pushing something like the Patriot Act on all of us or having lots of people killed by lying his way into an invasion of a sovereign nation... you know, things that are major that do actually affect overall approval ratings.

Republicans are just digging and digging trying to find any reason to shoot this guy down, they've been trying since day 1 of his first term.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,190,088 times
And yet if you believed AllAmericanNYC thread, half of Americans want Obama impeached. Now just how can that be?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,934,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't doubt it. Not trying to imply one party is more apathetic and uncaring then the other when it comes to keeping informed on politics and foreign affairs.

Heck..I don't care if they ask the political party. Just ask the people and show us how many answered correctly.
Well, even there I don't think you would be satisifed with the answer. If they asked me that question--How many scandals has the WH been accused of?--I would answer none, even though I am not a low information voter, because I don't believe any of them have been scandals. If you asked me how many PHONY scandals the WH has been accused of, you would get different response entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A majority of voters only come out of the closet every 4 years and could care less the rest of the time.

Just had some local elections in Austin. In a city of 800K+, only 38K turned out to vote. Big bond packages passed with 19K voting. Those 19K decided the financial fate of 800K people.
Indeed, and I agree, it's sad. Populations around the world are fighting for the right to vote, and a significant majority of eligible voters in this country don't even bother. And sadly, it was ever thus.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,098,327 times
Maybe voters do not bother because they agree with the proposals? Or simply believe the fix is already in and their votes are irrelevant.

I am surprised that President Obama's approval rating is so low. If he got us out of Afghanistan it would skyrocket. If he got us completely out of the Middle East he would be deified.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,640,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the poll consisted of 1000 people-- in a country of over 300 million people-- and it was partly conducted in Spanish:

This Washington Post-ABC News poll was conducted by telephone May 16-19 among a random sample of 1,001 adults. Interviews were conducted in English and Spanish on land lines and cellphones

hmmm, a small skewed poll----they must be getting desperate for some approval.
Or maybe you just can't get it through your head that people really like Obama.

If you really wanted a small, skewed poll that was worthless, you'd quote Rasmussen. They only call old fogeys with land line phones.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,947,705 times
One would have to think the phony scandal business is not a good long term investment.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,926,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, even there I don't think you would be satisifed with the answer. If they asked me that question--How many scandals has the WH been accused of?--I would answer none, even though I am not a low information voter, because I don't believe any of them have been scandals. If you asked me how many PHONY scandals the WH has been accused of, you would get different response entirely.

Indeed, and I agree, it's sad. Populations around the world are fighting for the right to vote, and a significant majority of eligible voters in this country don't even bother. And sadly, it was ever thus.
I did use the word "accused" not "guilty of". And I wouldn't call them all "phony" yet. The IRS one seems to have some basis so far. The only one that I know of that is over and done with and the book is closed is F&F.

I would just be curious if Americans can actually name them....

F&F
Benghazi
IRS
Wire tapping the MSM

Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM

25,895 posts, read 20,862,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The issue is Obama is a likeable person. I do not believe his approval rating is all based on his performace.
When specific questions are asked such as his" handling of this or that" the numbers are alot lower.

He speaks well and is seen as a good family man to his daughters. That resonates well and is reflected in general "approval ratings".
Yes, his "likeability" numbers are pretty good (79%), however, a majority of those polled also believe that he is a strong leader (58%) and that he is honest and trustworthy (58%). Lower yes, but, still a majority.

On the other hand, " Fifty-nine percent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party, tying the all-time record for negative views of the GOP," while "Favorable ratings for the Democratic Party are up six points in that same time."

CNN Poll: Likability helps Obama survive brutal week – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

And, BTW OP, the president's approval rating is (now) 53% according to this poll. It was 51% in April.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,093,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Look, he is still worshipped by low information folks who think he's cool. Hollywood still backs him. Liberals would never abandon him.

We could lose 10000000 more jobs tomorrow, he could be found to be behind IRS scandal, he could admit to sleeping or watching Nwtflox while Benghazi happened.... He would still have a 40 something % or more approval. Its the sad stat of our society where people know more about celebs daily habits than the important issues and where liberal culture will defend and standby someone no matter what
we're simply following the republican playbook.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:27 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,839,642 times
I think what the people see clearly is the GOP's opportunism and inability to conceive or support anything positive for the country.

In Obama, they see a guy trying to do his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.