Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,602,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You're a fountain of information aren't you? Going through college is "work"? You are assuming that he "worked" hard to get through Columbia and Harvard, but he must have something to hide since he refuses to release his transcripts. Obama's grandparents, who raised him, were middle class.

Working poor? As a community organizer, he did two memorable things. He established a summer jobs program and had the asbestos issue addressed. He left small organizing because he realized that power was necessary to make change. And he went on to carve out a path that gave him the ultimate power to run the largest community in this country. He wasn't interested in an education at Harvard, he wanted to know how those in power thought, and most of those in power are Harvard grads.

What Obama Did As A Community Organizer - CBS News

I worked with lawyers, both black and white, that attended Columbia and Harvard. Their ability to apply their degrees went from mediocre to excellent. I also saw some of those grads asked to leave law firms after a year or two because they couldn't cut it. Wall Street lawyer was never on Obama's agenda. Power was always on his agenda.
An amazing internet tele-psychoanalysis of the president, I have to say.

Quote:
I really wish people like you that defend Obama to the death would actually check on your own "facts" before posting.

I really wish people like you who attack the president had something factual to base your hatred on, rather than twisting reality to conveniently rationalize your contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM

199 posts, read 161,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yep, and I concur.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,794,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Perhaps the difference is that the commencement speech was very much about black youth success and their obligations to themselves, their community, their country and the world.
That doesn't explain it. Would it have been well received if it was Bill Gates who gave the same commencement speech?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
I worked in tech for over 20 years and during that time was mentor to coops and interns who came every summer to work for a few months to get experience and money.

When it came to minorities, you knew within the first 2 weeks who knew their stuff and who got shuffled through the system based on their heritage/skin color. We had one girl bragging that she was going to milk the system because of her Hispanic background and that she was a girl.

The problem is AA and I think it's done more harm to minorities than good.
Yes, I know why it's in place but it's been abused and used by some to milk the system rather than a given opportunity.
And all it takes is one experience in the workplace with it to turn you jaded towards the program.

Like I said..it took me 2 weeks to figure out whether I could give those interns real work or just babysit them for 2 months.
I will add that the "babysitting" happened very infrequently over all those years, but it did happen more than once or twice.
And peers in other depts had the same stories.

And if they have to work twice as hard then I think it's to overcome the stereotype that they got where they are because of AA, not because they worked hard.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,006,516 times
Obama is racebaiting again...divide and conquer...if I were a black American i would take it as an insult that excuses him for his under performing economic agenda. I wish he take his words and work alittle there chief instead of campaigning ....

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
An amazing internet tele-psychoanalysis of the president, I have to say.

I really wish people like you who attack the president had something factual to base your hatred on, rather than twisting reality to conveniently rationalize your contempt.
I don't hate him, I have no respect for him, as I do with politicians in general. Nothing but a bunch of hos with double standards that will do and say anything if they benefit from it. The mere fact that you believe that Obama is such a standup guy, wouldn't tell a lie, is an honest politician, has the country and everyone's interest at heart, speaks volumes about you and everyone else that has your mindset.

There is a huge difference, as far as I am concerned, between hate and having no respect for someone. Do you hate everyone you have no respect for? I can actually respect people I don't like (respecting a quality or ability that they possess), but I don't like people who I have no respect for. I've had the unpleasant experience to justifiably hate two people in my life. Rest assured, Obama isn't one of them.

Explain to me the hate that many black people harbor with extreme intensity towards ALL white people and who justify and conveniently rationalize their hatred on a reality they created in their head

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,855,496 times
Quote:
That doesn't explain it. Would it have been well received if it was Bill Gates who gave the same commencement speech?
I think Bill Gates could have given a version of Obama's commencement speech. Certainly Gates is demonstrating in his later life the need to "widen our [your] circle of concern" that Obama spoke about. I'm not sure how clued into the Morehouse experience and historical significance Gates would be able to connect with. Not that it would be impossible for Gates, just that it is unlikely that he has had a similar life experience.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:43 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,002,318 times
Quote:
I don't hate him, I have no respect for him, as I do with politicians in general. Nothing but a bunch of hos with double standards that will do and say anything if they benefit from it. The mere fact that you believe that Obama is such a standup guy, wouldn't tell a lie, is an honest politician, has the country and everyone's interest at heart, speaks volumes about you and everyone else that has your mindset.

There is a huge difference, as far as I am concerned, between hate and having no respect for someone. Do you hate everyone you have no respect for? I can actually respect people I don't like (respecting a quality or ability that they possess), but I don't like people who I have no respect for. I've had the unpleasant experience to justifiably hate two people in my life. Rest assured, Obama isn't one of them.

Explain to me the hate that many black people harbor with extreme intensity towards ALL white people and who justify and conveniently rationalize their hatred on a reality they created in their head
You don't respect a lot of people and that is your issue. When you make statements about Blacks hating Whites you show true ignorance. Many Blacks don't respect the culture of White supremacy (and neither should you) but I've met very few that hate White people. Does your question come from your interaction with Black people? I will tell you this. Everyone I judge a person being xyz before I get to know them I always judge wrong. So yes I would like to know where are you getting your statement about a group of people.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I think Bill Gates could have given a version of Obama's commencement speech. Certainly Gates is demonstrating in his later life the need to "widen our [your] circle of concern" that Obama spoke about. I'm not sure how clued into the Morehouse experience and historical significance Gates would be able to connect with. Not that it would be impossible for Gates, just that it is unlikely that he has had a similar life experience.
Does one actually have to experience everything that another person experienced to understand? If one isn't "clued in", isn't it possible to self-educate oneself? Did you graduate from Morehouse in order to understand the experience or did you learn about it? Is the historical significance of Morehouse something that can't be self-taught? Or is it impossible for white people to "grasp" it?

I think Gates' widening the circle of concern has more to do with people widening their circle of concern on a global level, not a national level. Two-thirds of his foundation is dedicated to global causes.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You don't respect a lot of people and that is your issue. When you make statements about Blacks hating Whites you show true ignorance. Many Blacks don't respect the culture of White supremacy (and neither should you) but I've met very few that hate White people. Does your question come from your interaction with Black people? I will tell you this. Everyone I judge a person being xyz before I get to know them I always judge wrong. So yes I would like to know where are you getting your statement about a group of people.
Unlike you, I don't "judge" everyone I meet because I don't consider myself above, below or better than anyone. As far as I'm concerned we are on level ground. What I will do is form an opinion and act on that opinion, but the ground will remain level.

As far as respect, everyone has their own definition of respect. Maybe mine is higher than yours if you respect everyone that has passed through your life. By my saying I have no respect for politicians is my right. And that would account for a lot of people I don't have respect for, which I didn't see as an issue, but you are entitled to see it as being one.

You seem to have judged me and ASSume you know me, which is an ignorant thing to do. Where did I say I respect white supremacy, and what the hell is the "culture" of white supremacy??

As for my interaction with black people on a general level (which has probably been more years than your age), with those that are friends and the men I dated - never had a problem. The only time I see problems is on this forum where blacks and whites feel brave enough to express what must be their true hateful sentiments when sitting behind a computer.

I don't like racism - be it black or white, but there sure is quite a bit of hate from both sides on this forum. Not a pretty picture from either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies