Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
We're not, I have absolutely nothing against people being allowed to join a union. I however disagree that you can be demanded to join one in order to obtain a job.

How is paying money to buy a license to vote, any different than paying money to get a job to support your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,789,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
you could also call them "pro choice."
People hear what they want to hear. You could tell them 100 times and they still will not hear you. When something bad happens they blame and develop an enemy.

Yes, it is pro-choice but democrats want to hear anti-union.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 AM

500 posts, read 376,729 times
Quote:
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
Unions exemplify lack of personal responsibility and work ethic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You just keep pumping your monthly stipend to your rulers as they support offshoring jobs left and right. Union turds aren't smart enough to negotiate their own salary and feast on the lies fed to them like you just spit out. You are being sold out to china and don't even know it. Your buddies who just got 25% of GM after the bailout, you know the union turds, just opened up a 1.3 billion dollar plant over in china. Same union turds who supported Obama as he shut down coal jobs all over too.
No more need be said.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,723,381 times
Quote:

Individual achievements....
Competition in the ranks, brings the creme to the top.
You weed out and cull the non producers. Making business more efficient and profitable.

In the union, everyone gets a trophy, and only the coaches win the game.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,492,265 times
Quote:
I think that the main reason is that throughout history, those on the right (for the most part, not all) simply believe that workers don't deserve rights. And whenever working people have tried to band together for better conditions/wages/etc, they've been met with incredible hostility.

You seem to be a more moderate conservative, and at least there are some such as yourself who see at least some good that unions have done throughout our history.

126 posts, read 152,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Unions exemplify lack of personal responsibility and work ethic.
Hey, if you want to make a statement, go ahead, nobody is stopping you. Only an idiot would not accept a better and professional work environment(most non union guys have no experience, very amateur) and better pay so he can prove he has responsibility. You sound like a Romney trust fund kid, put down the blue collar workers from daddy's basement, if you have balls, maybe you should go up to them and say this.

3,038 posts, read 2,517,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Where in the hell did you get your revisionist history from? Those unions were started and paid for in blood by guys like my great grandpa and his brothers who worked in coal mines for slave wages while laying on their sides using a pick and shovel and then having to use wet dynamite to blast the coal loose..when they asked for better/safer working conditions,they were fired or beaten by some scab goon hired by the company...it had nothing to do with rascism in the least and anyone who thinks otherwise is totally clueless and prob never worked a day in their life in a "blue collar" job...assinine
Wrong. They were started to keep blacks and Asians form taking white jobs.

That doesn't mean all union members were racist.

And you might want to look up real histrory insrtead of revisionist union history.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau real wages rose 50% for manufacturing workers from 1860-1890. And another 34% from 1891-1914. This was when less than 3% of the workforce was union. It was also before unions had special legal protections and there were no minimum wage laws. Plus, millions of unionized workers were leaving Western Europe for the non-union United States.

How do you explain wages increasing faster without unions than with them? How do explain migration from union areas to non-union areas? Unions can't, so they choose to ignore these facts and make up their own history.

Bu the way, I work in manufacturing. Have for a long time. Non-union shops. Never had a problem with an employer. I don't need to pay to hide behind some union. I can take of myself.

Last edited by OhioRules; 05-11-2013 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 AM

126 posts, read 152,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Individual achievements....
Competition in the ranks, brings the creme to the top.
You weed out and cull the non producers. Making business more efficient and profitable.

In the union, everyone gets a trophy, and only the coaches win the game.
You know nothing. Guys are thrown out if they don't produce especially in large cities. Unions don't put up with lazy people in NYC, they want the buildings built fast so they get the most of their contracts. I think you are referring to what happens in rural Georgia. New York, Boston, Philly, Chicago, San Francsico, etc do not have the time for that. The guy gets laid off if there is a problem.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM

59,300 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
They are big business suck asses who don't have a problem with low wages,unsafe working conditions and long hours without overtime pay...as long as the rich get richer they are willing to bow and scrape at the feet of their masters...semi retarded really if you think about it....I believe its something left over from the Reagan era
Very classy, intellectual, well thought out post. Right!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,517,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanBklyn View Post
You're an idiot, I can tell you grew up in the woods - no smarts what-so-ever. Nobody is forced to join a union, people join because they want better pay, job protection, excellent benefits and if you get hurt on the job, you have people fighting for you. Ever wonder what happens to all of these mexicans and immigrants who get hurt on non union jobs? The owner will say "I don't know this guy, he must have got hit by a car".
Apparently you never worked in a non-union shop.

I love how pro-union people just make up crap about non-union people.

I guess that's how the union bosses keep people under their thumb. Lying to them and making them fearful of a bogeyman that don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies