Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,185,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
How many kids can an escaped mental patient kill with a steak knife? How many kids can a man kill with an AR-15? We already have real-world examples of this totalling "0" and "26", respectively.

Besides, how can he steal a gun if all you gun nuts are so damn responsible with them? They're locked up, right? RIGHT?

Are you 10%-ers really that inconvenienced by a simple form? It's insane to argue against background checks!
1. I am not a gun nut, just someone who thinks that any person legally able to own a gun should be allowed to purchase one, following all rules and regulations.

2. ALL of my guns, have trigger locks, one has a lock running through the place where a clip is inserted, and all are in a gun safe, as any conscientious gun owner should maintain their weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM

39,955 posts, read 26,704,733 times
Quote:
How many kids can an escaped mental patient kill with a steak knife? How many kids can a man kill with an AR-15? We already have real-world examples of this totalling "0" and "26", respectively.

Besides, how can he steal a gun if all you gun nuts are so damn responsible with them? They're locked up, right? RIGHT?

Are you 10%-ers really that inconvenienced by a simple form? It's insane to argue against background checks!
Really? Where? The Sandy Hook shooter was not an escapee from a mental health facility, in case you were unaware of that. Now, I agree we need to bring back enforced institutionalization and reopen the asylums for the violently mentally insane. And if we lock up the nuts, why does everyone else need a background check?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,819,772 times
Quote:
A piece of legislation is not useless if it helps reduce crime.
Which this won't.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM

26 posts, read 19,366 times
Quote:
The only way this insane man could carry out his murderous fantasy is by buying a gun.
With all due respect (and I really do mean that), this sentence alone tells me that you do not have a realistic look at the issue of gun control and associated crime. The statement that I quoted from you above is so fundamentally wrong that it's tough to put into words how truly uninformed you APPEAR to be on this issue.

Crazy people of our society do not need to BUY a gun in order to commit a crime. In fact, they don't need a gun at all. They can use any blunt object to kill people, like hammers or screw drivers, or knives, pepper spray...freaking pressure cookers for heaven sakes. All these things can be obtained without buying a damn thing. Criminals are criminals for a reason, logline. They don't obey the law!

There is absolutely ZERO evidence that more background checks would even reduce crime. In fact, if you look at the numbers from several cities around the nation, gun crime tends to be HIGHER in the areas where gun controls are tighter (think Washington D.C., Chicago, Los Angeles, New York...the examples are numerous). During the assault weapons ban in D.C., for example, crime actually went up on average throughout those years when compared to before the ban went into effect.

I know that the concept of background checks sound good, but that completely ignores the reality of our world. Crazy will find a way...no law can even approach fixing the true problem that we're facing in our nation. The problem isn't guns. The problem isn't the lack of background checks. The problem is crazy - and background checks won't fix that.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM

11,194 posts, read 10,787,939 times
Quote:
You simply can't argue that background checks wouldn't help in preventing a significant number of needless deaths. Of course it won't stop all crime, but no law does! A piece of legislation is not useless if it helps reduce crime. This is a no-brainer.

This escaped mental patient is obsesses with Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook required guns. If all you gun owners were as responsible as you claim to be, all your guns would be in a locked safe which would make them impossible to steal. The only way this insane man could carry out his murderous fantasy is by buying a gun. Unfortunately, the NRA and "the idiot 10%" have fought to allow this man to do exactly that. Congratulations.
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the guns that Adam Lanza used locked up in his mother's gun safe? Doesn't seem to have stopped him from stealing them, does it?

Please, continue to spew the 90%-10% statistic that we already know is incorrect. Continue to believe the politicians who say that expanded background checks would reduce mass killings. After all, they are the same politicians who said that the Gun Free Zone Act would make our kids safer, even though the average annual number of school shootings has nearly doubled since that law went into effect. They must know what they are talking about, right?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM

264 posts, read 281,910 times
I don't like children dying when we could try to stop it from happening.

I believe in the right to own guns. But preventing background checks is wildly irresponsible and selfish. Even if it stopped 2% of deaths, it would be a major success.

Gun nuts (not to be mistaken with gun owners or supporters) need to help be part of the solution. They do not give ideas to help fix this problem, only defend their own rights, no matter what it costs. If you truly loved this country, you would look for ideas that could help and stop defending this cause to death. It shows a lack of intelligence, compassion and you won't be taken seriously be anybody.

There has to be compromise on both sides.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnet View Post
The assumption here is background checks will stop people from doing something crazy.
So your "argument" is that unless it is 100% effective on everything all the time then it isn't even worth bothering to try to reduce gun violence? Sorry, but that's a moronic argument.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM

11,194 posts, read 10,787,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now What View Post
I don't like children dying when we could try to stop it from happening.

I believe in the right to own guns. But preventing background checks is wildly irresponsible and selfish. Even if it stopped 2% of deaths, it would be a major success.

Gun nuts (not to be mistaken with gun owners or supporters) need to help be part of the solution. They do not give ideas to help fix this problem, only defend their own rights, no matter what it costs. If you truly loved this country, you would look for ideas that could help and stop defending this cause to death. It shows a lack of intelligence, compassion and you won't be taken seriously be anybody.

There has to be compromise on both sides.
From the moment that Sandy Hook happened, gun owners have been saying that we need to revamp mental health and the justice system in order to keep potential mass shooters from carrying out crimes such as this. Explain how that is not adding ideas to the conversation?

I guess the problem is that we aren't adding ideas that you like...

Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM

264 posts, read 281,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
From the moment that Sandy Hook happened, gun owners have been saying that we need to revamp mental health and the justice system in order to keep potential mass shooters from carrying out crimes such as this. Explain how that is not adding ideas to the conversation?

I guess the problem is that we aren't adding ideas that you like...
Oh are you out picketing for that? I didn't catch that. All is see are a bunch of idiots screaming about their rights while infringing on the rights to safety of children. Good to know you are part of the solution and not just completely selfish!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,367,115 times
Quote:
10% of you will never be convinced, no matter how dangerous it is to let people like this freely acquire guns:
Garden Grove Police Seek Escaped Mental Health Patient Obsessed by Sandy Hook | NBC Southern California
Or maybe we should have better mental health facilities and programs.
Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies