Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM

30,111 posts, read 18,717,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Speaking of whining.

This is definitely a case for rolling a person's eyes, and could be borderline jaw dropping, but this comes as no surprise at all. Want some cheese n crackers with the whine?

So why is taking down the American flag whining? Hell, I just replaced my old flagpole on the farm. The pole came with a nice cotton American flag, which I simply threw away. I fly the Gadson flag, as the America we knew is dead. Gee............... is that not my right in the Obama administration? Now anyone can call me whatever they want or use any politically incorrect language they want. It does not bother me a bit. Did seeing a communist re-elected bother me? Yes- see what "great results" Obama has delivered since his election!

Now whining about "being offended" is simply being a wuss. If someone is that fragile, they should probably not interract with other humans, as they thier emotional state cannot tolerate the slightest perterbation of what they consider to be "comfy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,181,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe a little history is needed.

The origin of the name ‘Redskins’

They were called the Boston Braves (So where did the name Braves come from?

" Here is what the Boston Globe published on July 6th, 1933:

"This new name is rather appropriate in more than one sense. The head and since the close of the 1932 season Pres Marshall and Coach Dietz have signed up a number of Indian players.1 Not only that, but the Boston National League ball park has long been called the Wigwam."

Coach Dietz is reputed as being part Sioux Indian.

If Redskins was good enough for Dietz and the Indian players who played for the redskins, they weren't offended otherwise they probably wouldn't have played for them, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

They were called the Braves until ownership and GAME fields changed.

Eventually playing in the same stadium as the Boston RED Sox trying to link the baseball with the football team in order to get more sport fans.

I am constantly amused by those "offended" by the name Redskins NEVER get offended by the NAACP, The National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People.

Where is the outrage for not changing THEIR name?

If anyone used the term "colored' toady they would be called racists.

I am sure the black actors who attended the oscars back then did not mind having to enter the auditorium from a side entrance. Just because they "went along" to be included does not mean they were not offended.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,559,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
He has taken a lot of heat from the left. And we all know why. He is seen as a Republican BLACK man. And he dates a WHITE WOMAN. A popular guy like him, according to the left, needs to stay in the box they made for him and be and act and think the way they say he should.

Hats off to him. I hope he doesnt bow to pressure and change. He is also taking heat for daring to not show up to as NBC's guest for the Correspondence Dinner and a special reception with the Obama's. HOW DARE HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he continues to dare be vocal about who he is and what he believes, which currently is anti-liberalism, he is going to continue to be bashed by the left.
I am really starting to like RG3!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,039,102 times
They whined about the KC Chiefs changing their name too a while back. They used to have booths set up outside the stadium and folks would walk by after tailgaiting and toss empty beer cans and the like at the PC fools. What they don't even know id the team was actually named after a fan contest. They almost became the KC Mules. That would have offended liberal "asses" though nowdays. lol The mayor of the city at the time Rho Bartle who was big in getting the team moved was also nicknamed "The Chief" because he founded the Tribe of Mic-O-Sa a native american honors society. PC idiots should know what they are crying about.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM

59,291 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I am sure the black actors who attended the oscars back then did not mind having to enter the auditorium from a side entrance. Just because they "went along" to be included does not mean they were not offended.
Why didn't they speak up AFTER the quit playing?

Why didn't The coach speak up?

I guess they weren't "that" OFFENDED.

"In a study performed by the National Annenberg Survey, Native Americans from the 48 continental U.S. states were asked "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or does it not bother you?" In response, ninety percent replied that the name is acceptable, while nine percent said that it was offensive, and one percent would not answer.[6]"

Washington Redskins mascot controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why didn't they speak up AFTER the quit playing?

Why didn't The coach speak up?

I guess they weren't "that" OFFENDED.

"In a study performed by the National Annenberg Survey, Native Americans from the 48 continental U.S. states were asked "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or does it not bother you?" In response, ninety percent replied that the name is acceptable, while nine percent said that it was offensive, and one percent would not answer.[6]"

Washington Redskins mascot controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting. If they interviewed liberals, probably 100% would say that the term "Redskins" is offensive. Why? They are easily offended.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,557,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am "offended" by very little. The US has become so prissy and easily "offended" that it encourges people to wear thier emotions on their shirt sleeves and conditions them to whine.
Reading your postings, I agree with you 100%.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Reading your postings, I agree with you 100%.

............... thus political correctness- whining about everything considered "offensive". Liberals have the market cornered on political correctness (as it was created by Stalin to reduce voices of political opposition. Why is it that liberals like many of the tactics and philosophical views of Stalin?).

I tend to be offended by

record unemployment
record citizens on food stamps
record debt
record deficits
lowest home ownership rate in 40 years
lower wages
lower personal wealth and savings

The above things actually matter in life. Worrying about a sports team called the "redskins" or whatever is a pre-occupation with the absurd and shows a lack of ability to prioritize events in life.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I am a conservative and I think the name "redskin" is offensive.

I would have no issues with them changing their name to the Caucasians or Whiteskins.

We also have the Fighting Irish (presumably drunk) but no one cries about that.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
My wife and I have always been RGIII fans, as he is the type of athlete that kids should aspire to- intelligent with great academics and humility.

In a recent call by the left to abandon the "Redskins" team name, RGIII has brought up "tyranny of political correctness" and how it compels people to make decisions through fear.

RGIII: Americans ‘Held Hostage By The Tyranny Of Political Correctness’ « CBS DC
The term political correctness is a meaningless term. There is no such thing. Anyone can say anything they want to say.

What people who use that term suppose is that there shouldn't be consequences from other people for the words they use.

Those who use the term political correctness are whiners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies