Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM

6,193 posts, read 7,327,882 times

Advertisements

What if Gore had beaten Bush in 2000? What would America be like today? Who would be president today? Many believe that Gore actually beat Bush in 2000. If thousands of votes in heavily democratic counties in Florida had not been thrown out, that would have been the case. Here is how I believe history would have unfolded.

-9/11 would have still happened under president Gore
-we would not have gone in Iraq but we still would have gone into Afghanistan.
-without the Iraq war, the U.S. wouldn't be in so much debt, however Saddam Hussein would still be alive and in power.
-the economy would still be on a decline, just not as bad as it was under Bush
-the economic meltdown of 2008 would not have taken place and Unemployment wouldn't be a high as it is today.
-with 16 years of a Clinton/Gore administration, people would be tired of anyone politically related to the Clintons. Hillary Clinton would not have run for president in 2008.
-a republican, either John McCain or Jeb Bush would have been elected in 2008. Sarah Palin would not have been selected as John McCain's running mate.
-Barack Obama would not have run for president and wouldn't be president today. He would still be a senator representing Illinois. Obama just wouldn't have been elected without a terrible economy and 16 years of a democratic president. So for people who absolutely hate Obama, maybe you should have been rooting for Al Gore in 2000

cause and effect determines how history unfolds.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-30-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM

6,193 posts, read 7,327,882 times
However, if you believe in the theory of alternate universes where every possible scenario plays out, there may be a universe out there with another earth with Jeb Bush as president in 2013. Come to think of it, there maybe an alternate universe where JFK wasn't assassinated and more than half the presidents since would not have been elected, or they would have been elected at different times.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
What if Gore had beaten Bush in 2000? What would America be like today? Who would be president today? Many believe that Gore actually beat Bush in 2000. If thousands of votes in heavily democratic counties in Florida had not been thrown out, that would have been the case. Here is how I believe history would have unfolded.

-without the Iraq war, the U.S. wouldn't be in so much debt, however Saddam Hussein would still be alive and in power.
-the economic meltdown of 2008 would not have taken place and Unemployment wouldn't be a high as it is today.
-with 16 years of a Clinton/Gore administration, people would be tired of anyone politically related to the Clintons. Hillary Clinton would not have run for president in 2008.
-a republican, either John McCain or Jeb Bush would have been elected in 2008. Sarah Palin would not have been selected as John McCain's running mate.
-Barack Obama would not have run for president and wouldn't be president today. He would still be a senator representing Illinois. Obama just wouldn't have been elected without a terrible economy and 16 years of a democratic president. So for people who absolutely hate Obama, maybe you should have been rooting for Al Gore in 2000

Actually, Gore did win the popular vote in 2000, not the electoral vote.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,846,293 times
Quote:
1. -9/11 would have still happened under president Gore
2. -we would not have gone in Iraq but we still would have gone into Afghanistan.
3. -without the Iraq war, the U.S. wouldn't be in so much debt, however Saddam Hussein would still be alive and in power.
4. -the economy would still be on a decline, just not as bad as it was under Bush
5. -the economic meltdown of 2008 would not have taken place and Unemployment wouldn't be a high as it is today.
6. -with 16 years of a Clinton/Gore administration, people would be tired of anyone politically related to the Clintons. Hillary Clinton would not have run for president in 2008.
7. -a republican, either John McCain or Jeb Bush would have been elected in 2008. Sarah Palin would not have been selected as John McCain's running mate.
8. -Barack Obama would not have run for president and wouldn't be president today. He would still be a senator representing Illinois. Obama just wouldn't have been elected without a terrible economy and 16 years of a democratic president. So for people who absolutely hate Obama, maybe you should have been rooting for Al Gore in 2000

This thread has been made several months ago, but I am not sure if it is good style to create a new thread when this ones already exists.

Anyway, in response to you:

1. I think that it's genuinely a tossup as to whether or not 9/11 happens under Gore. However, another successful large-scale terrorist attack on U.S. soil might have occurred later on under Gore instead.

2. With 9/11 or a similar large-scale terrorist attack on U.S. soil occurring, I would probably agree with you (for the record, I do think that it is possible that Gore would have invaded Iraq, but that it would have been at least slightly more likely that he would not have invaded Iraq.)

3. Yep--agreed.

4. Actually, I doubt that the condition of the U.S. economy would have been much better in this scenario.

5. Actually, the 2008 financial crisis would have occurred since the roots for it (deregulating Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, repealing Glass-Steagall, et cetera) were already done before Bush Jr. came into office in 2001.

6. Actually, I think that Hillary Clinton would have still ran in 2008. She and her husband would have felt that 2008 is her year.

7. Agree about the Republican winning in 2008 part, but this Republican could have also been George Allen, et cetera.

8. Agreed. Oh, and for the record, when I thought and read a lot about the 2000 election for the first time (in 2004 or in 2005, considering that I was only 8 years old in 2000), I was extremely angry and disappointed that Gore lost that year.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Actually, Gore did win the popular vote in 2000, not the electoral vote.
The electoral vote is what matters, though, and Al Gore lost that.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Perhaps this thread should be moved here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/history/

Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,837,756 times
Quote:
Many believe that Gore actually beat Bush in 2000.
People who haven't read the Constitution (or who deliberately ignore it) frequently suffer from delusions like that.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,527,461 times
Quote:
Yeah. Votes were thrown away in heavily Democratic counties. Were it was Democrats on the Board of Elections and controlled the voting process.

But George W Bush was so smart he figured out a way to get Democrats that supported Gore to throw the election. And ten for the next 8 years all we heard was how dumb Bush was.

Guess he wasn't so dumb after all. LMFAO.

Let me remind you Florida law called for a recount in all counties. Gore wanted a recount in only 4. All in heavily Democratic counties. But Bush was trying to steal the election? lmfao.

And every major newspaper in the country (including liberal ones) recounted the votes after the election. They all found Bush won Florida.

Your the one living in an alternate reality if you think Gore won that election. I can't believe people still try and make this claim.

By the way, I never voted for Bush.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM

21,596 posts, read 10,746,528 times
Quote:

1. 9/11 would have happened under President Gore. There's no way the vague warnings would have been heeded under Gore anymore than they were under Bush.

2. We would not have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan. It would be treated as a police matter, and no one would have ever been caught or punished, or they would have been caught and tried in a U.S. court like the original World Trade Center bombers from the early '90s. We probably would start having terrorist attacks more frequently because the anti-terrorism protocol would have never been put in place. It would become like Israel was at the time - buses exploding and killing people every once in a while.

3. Gore would have instituted carbon taxes and other measures that probably would have made our country and employment situation no better than Spain. For every one green job, two jobs are lost according to a study in Spain. Not only that, but don't forget the dot-com bubble burst right before the 2000 election, and the other economic problems we had after 9/11. I'm not sure how Gore would have handled those matters.

4. The economic meltdown may not have taken place in 2008, but only because I have no idea if the economy would have been doing so well as to have a huge housing bubble in the aughts. If we did have the housing bubble, then the economy would have still gone into meltdown in 2008 because derivatives and all the other things that lead to it started in the '90s under Bill Clinton. There's no reason to think Al Gore would have done anything about it.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM

21,596 posts, read 10,746,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Perhaps this thread should be moved here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/history/
Why? It's about politics, so it belongs in the Politics and Other Controversies category for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies