Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Maybe we could electrify the Black Sea or something?
Hey!! And, add some Alligators ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,405,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Nope, you are incorrect. If you are in the custody of armed men who reject the notion that you have rights, and decide to ignore them, you can say whatever you care to say ... fat lot of good that's going to do you if they ignore you. It's really pretty simple. We all have the right not to be robbed, but try explaining that to the robber, and see how much good it will do you!
They can do that in a purely physics/laws of nature sense, but they will put any chance of conviction at serious risk if they are relying on any of the stuff they gain.

9,127 posts, read 7,954,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's your OPINION only, not the law.

I prefer to avoid the hysterics and opinion, and provide the actual law/facts.

You're entitled to your opinion, that does not make what I stated incorrect.
Lets remember that that provision whether it be part of the patriot act has not been challeged in court as of yet.

Quote:
The FBI guidance was issued months after Attorney General Eric Holder offered to work with Congress on a law that would let law enforcement delay constitutional Miranda warnings to terror suspects.
Constitutional lawyers and former prosecutors have suggested that Congress could craft such a terrorism exception that could last up to 48 hours - longer than the court-mandated public safety exception that already allows law enforcement to hold off Miranda warnings for a short period during emergencies to save lives.
let us also remember, that neither the Congress nor FBI are the final arbiters of what is constitutional.

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats almost correct.

Statesments given before the miranda warning can be admissable in court, provided you arent being detained at the time.
True. However in this case, I am pretty sure that the defendant will be considered detained.

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You need to take a break and stop "wondering".
I'll respect your position when you tell me why I need to care about what you say..

Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,006,934 times
Mirandizing allows the police to use the suspects statements in a trial. I doubt they need such statements in this case.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I find it ironic that many of these conservatives who claim to be so in love with the Constitution when it comes to their gun rights are so blase about rights in this case.

Yes, this terrorist piece of dirt doesn't deserve the air he breathes, but you cannot be selective about who gets to exercise their rights and who doesn't. Once you do that, none of us have rights.

This is one of those rare times I agree with the OP and commend him for taking this stand-- if , indeed, the suspect was not Mirandized.
This.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
True. However in this case, I am pretty sure that the defendant will be considered detained.
Yes, the individual in question would absolutely be detained. I was speaking in general.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,388,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have two words for you Patriot Act no miranda needed thank you .
Yes, but doesn't the Patriot Act still require an executive deeming procedure?

Unmirandized arrests require due deeming process.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
Why the hell is this even an issue to begin with?? Just read the guy his rights and be done with it. He's an American citizen. Unless he's on his deathbed and can't even function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies