Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Since the OP started a second thread on this same topic, I will simply repeat my reply to the first.

It is said that something was an "act of valor" or something was an "act of bravery."

Nobody in his or her right mind would construe this as meaning "valor" literally acted or "bravery" literally acted. Most intelligent people are cognizant of the implied person or group of people who performed the act of valor or act of bravery.
You make a good point, actually. Thanks.

That being said, I wonder why the word "terrorist" has been basically dropped. Why would this be? I don't know. I want to know. That's my point.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am sick of the weenie phrases, "Terror attack," and "act of terror."
You can terrorize people without killing them. Think of terrorism as harassment that involves the possibility of loss of life, or destruction or alteration of your way of life or daily routine.

The purpose of acts of terror is to create chaos, fear and anger in society, to create doubt in government's ability to protect you, to cause a break down in the social fabric of society.

You need to educate yourself.

Last edited by OICU812; 04-18-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Had to reword a sentance

Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, Public Law 107-40 (a.k.a. "The War on Terrorism") gives the President congressional authorization to use military force against any nation, organization, or individual that finances, trains, supports or gives safe harbor to these terrorist organizations in order to prevent another 09/11/01 attack.

At the time the law was enacted (09/18/01) only Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Syria fell under that definition. Thus far, we have only completed half the job. The ethnic cleansing in Bosnia was largely over by the time we got involved in 1994. Somalia in 92-93 had absolutely nothing to do with terrorism. In 1992 it was a UN sanctioned goodwill mission led by the Marine Corps bringing food and supplies. In 1993 it was a unilateral US Army botched attempt to capture one of the criminal leaders in Mogadishu. The Kosovo conflict was the US assisting the Albanians ethnically cleanse the Serbian Provence of Kosovo. Something not even the NAZI's or Ottoman Empire could do, but we managed it.

Now the US is aiding al Qaeda in both Libya, Syria, and Egypt with arms and US taxpayer money.

The US clearly is its own worst enemy.
And we act all shocked and surprised that some Muslims don't appreciate our efforts.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You make a good point, actually. Thanks.

That being said, I wonder why the word "terrorist" has been basically dropped. Why would this be? I don't know. I want to know. That's my point.
A terrorist would indicate someone belonging to an organized group of people, committing terror acts to move an agenda, to force their victims to bend to their will and agree to their terms. A lone wolf or a sociopath has no grand plan, they might just want to create terror and fear, and cause harm out of nothing more then revenge or hatred.

However, an organized terrorist group does use sociopaths and lone wolves, to take advantage of their insanity or thoughts of revenge and hatred. That's why terrorist leaders don't do the suicide bombings, they are the ones with the agenda, and they get the sociopath, criminal or hate-filled zealot to perform these terror acts for them.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You can terrorize people without killing them. think of terrorism as harassment that involves the possibility of loss of life, or destruction or alteration of your way of life or daily routine.

The purpose of terrorism is to create chaos, fear and anger in society, to create doubt in government's ability to protect you, to cause a break down in the social fabric of society.

You need to educate yourself.
Apparently YOU need some education. You totally, totally missed my point. I don't need to be educated on the meaning of the term "terrorism." How you managed to pull that idea out of what I wrote is beyond me.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Apparently YOU need some education. You totally, totally missed my point. I don't need to be educated on the meaning of the term "terrorism." How you managed to pull that idea out of what I wrote is beyond me.
Maybe because you either do not understand the use of the terms, or you are really bad at explaining things.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
I am sick of the weenie phrases, "Terror attack," and "act of terror."

Terror is an EMOTION. It's not a criminal or an attacker - it's simply an emotion FELT by people who are victims of CRIMINALS.

I say call it what it is - a TERRORIST ATTACK. Or a DEADLY ASSAULT. Whatever, but not "an act of terror."

The reason I say this is because words have meanings. I hate it when we water down, or change the focus, of an event by politically correct double speak.

When we use the terms "act of terror" or "terror attack" we (perhaps inadvertently) conjure up images of a bolt of terror from the sky smiting the weak people below. No, that's not how it goes. CRIMINALS plant IEDs or bombs with the intent to kill and main innocent bystanders and civilians.

Don't whitewash it or water it down. There are evil people among us who intend to harm others in order to make a statement about their personal philosophies. They don't care if these people are children, or marathon runners, or friends on the sidelines, or people just going to work or enjoying the company of friends and family.

It's not an "act of terror." It's a despicable act of evil by evil people.
Actually, people who are terrorists with bombs kill people.

And as long as people are delusional enough to think killing people is a way to further a cause, it will continue to happen.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe because you either do not understand the use of the terms, or you are really bad at explaining things.
Or the problem could lie with you. Who knows?

This is what's called an "impasse."

Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
"Terror" is a case of extreme fear. Fear, because it can eliminate thought and replace though with reaction, is the goal of terrorism. Generally Terrorism is a tactic that is part of a strategic plan to remove or replace one government with another favored by the terrorists.

Not all bombings are acts of terrorism but are terrifying to most people. Some bombings are specific acts of murder to kill a specific person or persons. These have no political overtones. Other bombings are random acts of insane people that have no rational explanation of location or timing.

The only cure for terror is to know what you are being frightened by and clearly learning the likelihood of you actually being involved in a terror attack. You have to think about what is actually happening and never let fear control your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.