Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abstinence Only Education is
Too much, schools shouldnt teach ANYTHING about S-E-X 8 8.33%
Is exactly what should be taught 7 7.29%
Should be the main thing taught, BC should be mentioned 27 28.13%
BC should be the main subject, "Just say no" should be mentioned 35 36.46%
Abstinence Only Education is a waste of time, teach BC only 18 18.75%
Dunno 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
LN - I was being sarcastic. If people practiced complete abstinence there would be no children and therefore sex education would be unnecessary.
Ooooooo-kay! Gotcha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
Global survey reveals sex habits of teens - Sexual health - MSNBC.com (broken link)

we need to be more like the Netherlands!!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Sex Ed.

Ed had sex? I am shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM

436 posts, read 809,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
We do need more sex ed across the board. In homes. In schools. In churches. Abstinence-only doesn't work. Abstinence should, however, be given serious consideration in all discussions as it is the only truly foolproof method of BC. Any program that overlooks that needs work.

Other than that? CONDOMS CONDOMS CONDOMS. I'm serious. Condoms EVERYWHERE. I think they should be SUPER accessible to all people. Saying that encourages sex is like saying seat belts encourage auto wrecks.

We have to end our weird dual nature when it comes to sex in this country. It's EVERYWHERE! We use sex to sell CHEWING GUM!!!!! And yet we aren't allowed to have mature and frank discussions on how to have sex carefully and responsibly?

How much more accessible do you wnat them? They are in markets, drug stores, quick stops, etc.

I DO NOT agree with taxpayers paying for them in schools, however.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 PM

436 posts, read 809,366 times
I guess we were ridiculous in our atitude. We actually taught the kids about sex, and birth control. But, we never hid anything from either. We had medical books, or Palyboy out in the open for the entire time they wre growing up. They had question; we had answers.

The biggest fear in sex eduation is that form the parents, who are totally aghast at having to explain a bodily function to the son or daughter. In our house, there was a rule- NO questions is stupid- NONE.

Today, many parents are afraid to speak to the kids. and there are a lot of programs with inexperienced, or ill informed teachers as well.

Sex education begins at home, and the primary teachers should be mom and dad.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I guess we were ridiculous in our atitude. We actually taught the kids about sex, and birth control. But, we never hid anything from either. We had medical books, or Palyboy out in the open for the entire time they wre growing up. They had question; we had answers.

The biggest fear in sex eduation is that form the parents, who are totally aghast at having to explain a bodily function to the son or daughter. In our house, there was a rule- NO questions is stupid- NONE.

Today, many parents are afraid to speak to the kids. and there are a lot of programs with inexperienced, or ill informed teachers as well.

should be, but often isn't.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I remember being a teen. I had plenty of opportunity for sex and indulged every damn one of them. Even though my parents provided the "sex talk". I didn't believe them because what I was experiencing did not in any way resemble what they were talking about.
What loads of fun you must have had! Not me. I stayed a virgin in high school because I was homely, not a jock and came from the poor side of time. The girls didn't want to touch those type of guys with a ten ft. pole. From my own personal stand point, I feel that going through high school without being good looking enough to have sex does far more harm to a person's mental well being than most any unpleasant side effects that a good looking person may get from getting as much sex as he seeks or wants.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,510 times
[quote=eddiek;2475977]

Quote:
I agree. However unfortunatly this is not always the case.

If learning in school can prevent even 1 unwanted pregnancy, 1 STD,or 1 child from dying of Aids or Hiv, then by all means it has my vote.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
I was in HS in the late 50s and the girls who had sex could be counted on one hand. The morality was a lot different then as the word "virginity" had meaning and was respected. I was sexually active at a very early age and got lucky more often than not as i knew where to find the girls who had loose morals.

Nowadays you can count the girls who are virgins on one hand in any HS.

Funny thing is we didn't have HIV and AIDS and HERPES SIMPLEX and all those other horrifying STDs...but the girls had parents whom all the boys feared.

Today's kids are going to have sex when they want to where they want to and with whomever they want, so teach them how to buy and use condoms.

In the old days the worst that could happen would be a case of the "clap" and penicillin took care of that. Today, make a mistake and you could wind up DEAD of AIDS.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:03 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Today's kids are going to have sex when they want to where they want to and with whomever they want, so teach them how to buy and use condoms.

In the old days the worst that could happen would be a case of the "clap" and penicillin took care of that. Today, make a mistake and you could wind up DEAD of AIDS.
I agree, that's why I feel comprehensive sex education is the key.

SADD, students against drunk driving, has a Contract for Life and the parent signs their agreement which states in part:
“Further, I agree to provide for you safe, sober transportation home if you are ever in a situation that threatens your safety and to defer discussions about that situation until a time when we can both have a discussion in a calm and caring manner.”
The document acknowledges that teens may get into those situations and parents will take the steps to help them make the right and safe decisions. Now I don’t see it any different from comprehensive sex education. If you provide them with the tools and accurate information, they will be prepared to make better decisions. Just because the parent says they will provide the safe ride home, it doesn’t mean they are promoting underage drinking. The same applies to sex education, just because you give them medically and scientifically accurate education, it doesn’t meant you’re promoting sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies