Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,092,051 times

Advertisements

I hear from some people on the right, that the problem is that you guys haven't elected a true conservative the past two elections? Why is that? You are the voters, why didn't people back that "bat**** crazy" michelle bachman, or rick perry, or whatever other tea party republican that was up for the nomination? Why is it, that a moderate has gotten the nomination the last two elections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,282,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I hear from some people on the right, that the problem is that you guys haven't elected a true conservative the past two elections? Why is that? You are the voters, why didn't people back that "bat**** crazy" michelle bachman, or rick perry, or whatever other tea party republican that was up for the nomination? Why is it, that a moderate has gotten the nomination the last two elections?
As a democrat, I can tell you that part of the reason is because of a divide in the R party. Some want to be as conservative as is possibly appealing to the masses of voters, but then you have the newly elected hard line conservatives trying to steer the R party in a different direction, and want nothing to do with a moderate.

Romney was their only front man for 2012, and had McCain not chosen Palin in '08, he might have had a chance. That was evidenced when we watched both of them campaigning, they were not on the same page with each other. Palin was appealing to the hard liners, and agreeing with throngs of people who believed Obama wasn't a US Citizen, while McCain was taking a more moderate and logical position in another location.

What killed Romney's chances of getting elected was his tendency to flip flop on issues important to women and minorities.

And now the future. Does anyone really believe hard liners like Paul have a chance? Does anyone want another Bush in the White House? I think not. The R party had better start doing some fancy footwork if they want to even have a chance for 2016. I don't believe America is ready for a independent yet.

But, if you think Bush 41 or Reagan were true conservatives, you could be wrong on that. Both raised taxes, and that's a no no for conservatives nowadays.

PolitiFact Virginia | Rep. Gerry Connolly says Reagan raised taxes during five years of presidency

Read my lips: no new taxes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM

9,700 posts, read 5,149,645 times
Quote:
B/c everytime they hear a true Conservative speak they realize how bat-chit crazy a true Conservative is. Then when the reasonable Conservative loses, that replaces their memories of true Conservative bat-chit craziness. Rinse, repeat.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,906,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

What killed Romney's chances of getting elected was his tendency to flip flop on issues important to women and minorities.
Flip: I will veto any legislation that tried to stop sequestration
Flop: We have to stop this... it's the republicans fault

Flip: middle class Americans will not pay one more dime in taxes.
Flop: oh yea that, I lied

Flip: Al-quaeda is on the run
Flop: and they are charging the U.S.

Flip: I will close gitmo in a year
Flop: And it remains open

Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,490,709 times
Quote:
Too many people have bought into your nanny state mentality for enough responsible people with principles to get elected.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,490,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
As a democrat, I can tell you that part of the reason is because of a divide in the R party. Some want to be as conservative as is possibly appealing to the masses of voters, but then you have the newly elected hard line conservatives trying to steer the R party in a different direction, and want nothing to do with a moderate.
As a Democrat, your view of true conservatives is exactly worthless except as an indicator of which misperceptions we need to counter. (and I mean worthless to the right wing - I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinions)
Quote:
Romney was their only front man for 2012, and had McCain not chosen Palin in '08, he might have had a chance. That was evidenced when we watched both of them campaigning, they were not on the same page with each other. Palin was appealing to the hard liners, and agreeing with throngs of people who believed Obama wasn't a US Citizen, while McCain was taking a more moderate and logical position in another location.
Yes, one progressive supports another. Democrats, always trying to get us to "moderate" in their direction. If we agreed with progressivism, then we'd be progressives. We're never going to support your authoritarian government. It just ain't gonna happen.
Quote:
As I said, your Democrat opinion means nothing. Every Democrat on C-D with an opinion on what Republicans should do always says something that boils down to "Be more like us"
Quote:
And now the future. Does anyone really believe hard liners like Paul have a chance? Does anyone want another Bush in the White House? I think not. The R party had better start doing some fancy footwork if they want to even have a chance for 2016. I don't believe America is ready for a independent yet.
Yes, it is going to take some work to remove the claws you've sunk into American's flesh and heal the wounds you've caused.
Quote:
But, if you think Bush 41 or Reagan were true conservatives, you could be wrong on that. Both raised taxes, and that's a no no for conservatives nowadays.
There is no such thing as a "true" conservative. It's simply a label applied to one end of the political spectrum here. And even if there were, you've demonstrated repeatedly on C-D that what your idea is of what constitutes a "true" conservative would be nowhere near reality. And for my part, I don't pretend to pontificate on what a "true" liberal is. Many Democrats' idea of what a "true" conservative is changes depending on whether they want to get a policy passed (true conservatives are intelligent moderates who will compromise with us) or want to win an election (true conservatives are religious zealots who want the poor to suffer and blacks to be slaves again)
No mention of how Democrats strongarmed both Reagan and Bush Sr into those tax hikes. The first, by promising to cut spending more than taxes were raised and then reneging on that promise, and the second by refusing to pass any budget unless taxes were raised and threatening the same government shutdown that Democrats today call Republicans "obstructionist" for doing. So pardon me if I don't take your biased view of the right wing seriously.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,830,011 times
Wow, right out of the gate you start with your name calling. a sure sign that your question is insincere at best, and more likely that you are just another liberal-left moron who not only cant, but really doesn't want an honest discussion.

PS you dont know jack about the tea party movement other than what your puppet masters tell you to think.

When you grow up, and have done a little reading and thinking for yourself, come back and ask the question like an adult, not a snotty nosed left wing mind numb robot.

Ta ta.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,233,883 times
I despise John McCain. I wish he'd disappear from the political scene forever. I get nauseated thinking about his candidacy for President.

Mitt Romney, while not a hardcore conservative, was a good candidate given the fiscal crises the United States finds itself in. Did I expect him to uphold many of the conservative ideals that I uphold? Absolutely not. But money and finances trumps everything at the end of the day. The United States needed someone who would focus like a laser on our financial well-being. What we got is a man who has stated forthright that he has no desire whatsoever to balance the budget or otherwise reign in government spending.

We do, in fact, need a true fiscal conservative to save this nation.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM

295 posts, read 360,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Wow, right out of the gate you start with your name calling.......you are just another liberal-left moron ....... a snotty nosed left wing mind numb robot.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,906,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
As I said, your Democrat opinion means nothing. Every Democrat on C-D with an opinion on what Republicans should do always says something that boils down to "Be more like us"
Yes, it is going to take some work to remove the claws you've sunk into American's flesh and heal the wounds you've caused.
lol, isn't it funny how Democrats (crying that they are poor) think they know what should be done to run this country. They couldn't even make a way for themselves yet they know how to run a whole damn country. And if you want to cry it isn't fair... News flash, life will never be fair. It's up to you to make your own way.

If you want to remain poor, follow the democrats. or... you could follow the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies