Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,667,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
George Zimmerman confessed to killing his attacker, you've chosen to call his attacker a "victim" which is quite ironic and funny at the same time given the fact that he was raised to think and live like a victim, something that likely caused him death in the end.
We only have Zimmerman's word for it that Trayvon attacked him, and not vice-versa. The police noted that Trayvon had no indications on his hands that you would normally see if someone had been striking another person, nor did he have Zimmerman's blood on him. And the police also have stated that Zimmerman had no significant injury, despite his claims of being attacked.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,523,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I've never claimed that there was "no investigation. None." They questioned Zimmerman and the ME examined Trayvon's body. I'm saying that they put little effort into identifying him that evening. Again you cast blame on Martin's father and friend, but none on the killer...an uusual response. We know now that Zimmerman was taking temazepam and Adderall that night; since we know that he also drinks alcohol (from his arrest record), we'll never know to what extent his reasoning was impaired when he shot Trayvon because he wasn't tested. I posted that his parents (and the public as well, by then) wanted to know why their son was shot but the admitted shooter was walking free...people who admit to homicide are seldom released after 5 hours. I have a friend who was shot in the chest with a shotgun and barely survived...you can be assured that the young man who shot him wasn't treated with the deference that Zimmerman was by Sanford LE. No doubt if a friend or family member of your own were to be severely wounded or killed (God forbid), you'd be more empathetic.

The prescription drugs George Zimmerman was taking when he killed Trayvon Martin - Miami healthy living | Examiner.com

Perhaps the Sanford PD should have consulted this site the night of the killing:

http://www.policeforum.org/library/h...tion%20SOP.pdf
My apologies. It was someone else who said there was 'no investigation. None.'

What didn't they do they should have done that night to ID tm. I suppose they could have done a house-to-house search for a home that was missing a teen. I didn't blame the father for anything. He happened to be out to dinner when tm left the house, went to sleep, and called the cops the next morning. Cops went to the house and that was that.

I haven't seen anything to show the cops even requested that gz take a drug test. I don't know if that's a routine request in homicide cases, but sure seems like something they'd ask.

Have you considered how much Better off gz would be if he Had been arrested that night ? He probably stops trusting the cops, gets a lawyer, doesn't give more statements or do the reenactment, no million hoodie march, no Sharpton or Jesse, etc.. With the phone girl's self-destruction, I might even think he wouldn't be convicted.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,023,980 times
Quote:
George Zimmerman confessed to killing his attacker, you've chosen to call his attacker a "victim" which is quite ironic and funny at the same time given the fact that he was raised to think and live like a victim, something that likely caused him death in the end.

Martin was a victim, regardless of how the confrontaion began.

Victim | Define Victim at Dictionary.com

Quote: 1.
a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency

Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,060,493 times
Quote:
Martin was a victim, regardless of how the confrontaion began.

Victim | Define Victim at Dictionary.com

Quote: 1.
a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency

Great, Trayvon and Zimmerman are both victims if you want to use that definition.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
My apologies. It was someone else who said there was 'no investigation. None.'

What didn't they do they should have done that night to ID tm. I suppose they could have done a house-to-house search for a home that was missing a teen. I didn't blame the father for anything. He happened to be out to dinner when tm left the house, went to sleep, and called the cops the next morning. Cops went to the house and that was that.

I haven't seen anything to show the cops even requested that gz take a drug test. I don't know if that's a routine request in homicide cases, but sure seems like something they'd ask.

Have you considered how much Better off gz would be if he Had been arrested that night ? He probably stops trusting the cops, gets a lawyer, doesn't give more statements or do the reenactment, no million hoodie march, no Sharpton or Jesse, etc.. With the phone girl's self-destruction, I might even think he wouldn't be convicted.

As I posted earlier, LE could certainly have canvassed the double row of townhouses that night. It's one of the standard procedures detailed in the 2nd link that I provided. Apparently homicides are uncommon in Sanford, or the police might have been more thorough. Martin seems to have spent enough time at the complex for a neighbor to have identified him at least as a visitor to a certain unit.
As for drug testing, it's important in terms of determining one's mental state at the time of the incident.
Was Zimmerman impaired by the Adderall and temazepam? Had he had a drink or two? The combination would have certainly affected his judgement.
IMHO there would have been attention given to the shooting even if Zimmerman had been arrested, due to the narrative...a teen walking home from a convenience store is killed by someone who has taken it upon themselves to act as an authority figure. The blowback might not have been as intense, but it would have been noticed by the media. Zimmerman would have been better served if his family hadn't
immediately portrayed him as "squeaky clean." His past was available for public scrutiny, which disproved that portrayal. Regardless, it was a needless tragedy...they seem to be all too common.
I appreciate the apology and courtesy; thank you.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
We only have Zimmerman's word for it that Trayvon attacked him, and not vice-versa. The police noted that Trayvon had no indications on his hands that you would normally see if someone had been striking another person, nor did he have Zimmerman's blood on him. And the police also have stated that Zimmerman had no significant injury, despite his claims of being attacked.
Trayvon Martin's autopsy report showed injuries to his hand which substantiates Zimmerman's claim that he was being beaten/attacked, Zimmerman also had no injuries that would be associated with attacking someone. Zimmerman had multiple documented injuries which support his claim that he was attacked.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/im...in.autopsy.pdf

Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Great, Trayvon and Zimmerman are both victims if you want to use that definition.

My "wants" have nothing to do with the definition of the word.

victim - definition of victim by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.
Seems like Zimmerman suits the 4th definition...he should have stayed in his vehicle.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
My "wants" have nothing to do with the definition of the word.

victim - definition of victim by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.
Seems like Zimmerman suits the 4th definition...he should have stayed in his vehicle.
Zimmerman should have stayed in his vehicle just like Trayvon should have stayed in his Daddy's baby momma rented condo. They both had the right to be where they were that night and Zimmerman has the right to defend himself against an attacker.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,827,532 times
Ummm, so Martin attacked Zimmerman with a bag of candy and an iced tea? Zimmerman seemed to have had a pistol though. Who'd be the logical person to attack whom in this situation?

Ah, maybe Zimmerman had a bag of Skittles also to even things up? Ya think? Or maybe Martin was pretending he was driving a truck, got out to chase Zimmerman? There, that'd help even things up more.

And of course Zimmerman was screaming and screaming because he was about to be gummed with Martin's Skittles and the poor little porker had already eaten his and was totally defenseless.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Ummm, so Martin attacked Zimmerman with a bag of candy and an iced tea? Zimmerman seemed to have had a pistol though. Who'd be the logical person to attack whom in this situation?

Ah, maybe Zimmerman had a bag of Skittles also to even things up? Ya think? Or maybe Martin was pretending he was driving a truck, got out to chase Zimmerman? There, that'd help even things up more.

And of course Zimmerman was screaming and screaming because he was about to be gummed with Martin's Skittles and the poor little porker had already eaten his and was totally defenseless.

Yes...poor George was so lethally beaten that he refused medical treatment that night. It will be interesting to see how the trajectory of the bullet is dealt with at trial; a direct front-to-back path is hard to square with the shorter Zimmerman being on bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.