Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,971,140 times

Advertisements

There is fraud/theft in everything.

Because it has been reported that 70% of cards in NM are reissues does not automatically make it true. If however, that stat is accurate, what the hell-0 is going on in NM? The Snap Program is administered at the state level.

From the SNAP site:

"In 2010, the Government Accountability Office found that “trafficking,” a fraudulent activity commonly cited in the media, where SNAP benefits are sold for cash, has decreased from 3.8 cents per dollar of benefits in 1993 to about 1 cent per dollar of benefits — a significant decline.
While there is always room for improvement, it is a clear exaggeration to suggest that fraud is widespread within SNAP. "

Debunking Myths About Food Stamps | Snap To Health

Here's more on the USDA's fight against fraud:
44,000 individuals made ineligible and 8300 stores permanently banned fro the program in one year.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cga/pressreleases/2011/0503.htm

NM has got some splainin to do.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 02-22-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,768,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They must. There is no way I could live on $1,600.
You couldn't live on $1600 a month? Then you have a problem for sure. It can be done.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,367,115 times
Google EBT card craigslist and you'll see some crazy stories

Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,303,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
You couldn't live on $1600 a month? Then you have a problem for sure. It can be done.
If I didn't have to pay rent I could do it, but there is no free rent.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 658 times
What this means is poor children are going hungry because their parents are selling the food stamps. I know this sounds harsh, but the return of institutions to care for the poor is something that needs to be revisited. In the 1800's they referred to these types of institutions as "poor houses". I'm most concerned with the children, that the foster care system is too overwhelmed to deal with. Now days, the kids have to be damn near dead for social services to remove them from the home.

Taking care of children is one reason for institutions to care for the poor. The other reason, is to discourage dependency on welfare systems. The money spent to allow able bodied adults to live independently ,without working, can no longer be sustained. It would be far cheaper and effective for those that have no connection to the workforce and who are unable to care for themselves to be placed in a community based centers. Where they and their children will be fed, have a roof over their heads, receive medical care and schooling. The adults would be responsible for providing most of the non-professional services such as, cleaning, cooking, safety and so on.

If I have to pay my hard earned taxes to meet the needs of those that are able bodied who have never worked (with no plans to start) and their families, I'll be damn if they continue to tell me how I'm going to care for them!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,941,978 times
I suspect there is far more fraud in this and other government handout programs.

Selling of food stamp cards is very common. Obviously the welfare crowd has some way besides working to get their nice newer cars than most of us can afford, and their big screen televisions, video game players and so on.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,941,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Google EBT card craigslist and you'll see some crazy stories
Yes - like the big business in the selling of infant formula on craigslist.

Obviously a hard working type isn't accidently buying infant formula they didn't need and then hassle with having to sell it.

And those who claim the welfare-food stamp crowd doesn't get much are simply ignorant. They are given so much that they can sell the surplus to have cash for beer, cigarettes and whatever else.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,972,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
very eye-opening piece here. i've never heard about the bolded part, which is particularly disturbing.

so apparently you can claim you 'lost' your card, sell it for cash, demand another one... rinse and repeat.

you may now begin the cries of ''b.b.b.b.but that never happens!'
Fraud is fraud. I'm glad they are aware of this scam. Honest people in need benefit from the program.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,285,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They don't know how to cancel the card and transfer funds? That sounds fishy or NM has a bunch of stupid people running the program. Most states give you an account and a card, if you lose the card your account isn't affected.
both could be the case: When we lived in NM there were public service announcements on the radio all the time, informing people, they might be elegible for food stamps..This is fine, but they made it sound like almost everyone could get them and if you shopped at Wal mart for instance, you would think just about everyone was getting them...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,865,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i thought the whole premise behind EBT cards was to do just that - link the funds directly with the person. but that doesn't seem to be the case here...
The premise that you are trying to put forward is that a re-issued card is linked to a new account, without the old one shut down (and continuing to receive funding in later months). Things are a little bit more modern than that currently. How are you alluding that more than one card (prior reported "stolen" and the re-issue) are accessing more than the funds of one account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies