Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,711,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Of course it is racist. But many liberals don't care. It's like how they cheered the President of Mexico giving a speech in our Congress about how terrible Arizona's immigration laws were while his own country's immigration laws are an order of magnitude more strict. Did any of those liberals go "Hey, why are you here complaining about one of our states hassling hispanics when your own police jail people without papers? Isn't that hypocritical of you?" Nope. They just stood there and applauded.

Once a liberal has given you victimhood status then you are given a free pass for behavior that would be seen as horrible were a nonvictim to do it. Female teachers can have sex with underage students and be encouraged to do it. Gay people can have regular pride parades whereas a straight pride parade would be unthinkably homophobic. Obama made a speech about Israel going back to the 1967 borders even as terrorists within those borders launched rocket attacks.

The urban dictionary on White Guilt: a belief, often subconscious, among white liberals that being white is, in and of itself, a great transgression against the rest of the world for which one must spend their life making atonement. It is often exemplified by embracing the cultures and philosophies of various other ethnic groups while neglecting one's own roots.

I agree with you about the victomhood thing and Mexico's hypocrisy. About the gay thing..as a gay person, I'd find it hard to understand why straights would need a pride parade seeing they have never been opressed though

Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,217,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
seem to be plenty of race threads on the go right now, so thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.

Now, as a white foreigner living in SE Asia it's hard not to notice the xenophobia.

I get constantly stared at, overcharged, hassled on the street and labeled with racial slurs.

isn't that racist?

so, if we have to put up with this abroad, why all the fuss back in the West - shouldn't we just accept the fact that xenophobia/racism is a reality of life?
So you are pretty much like a black man walking through a southern suburb.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,183,811 times
Southest Asia has a history of beng racist against itself.

Research "The Killing Fields".

Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,711,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
So you are pretty much like a black man walking through a southern suburb.
AAs should check out racism in Asia if they think the US is bad:

Hotels In Bangkok Refuse Blacks And Indians - Thailand News - Thailand Forum

Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,364,927 times
Quote:
seem to be plenty of race threads on the go right now, so thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.

Now, as a white foreigner living in SE Asia it's hard not to notice the xenophobia.

I get constantly stared at, overcharged, hassled on the street and labeled with racial slurs.

isn't that racist?

so, if we have to put up with this abroad, why all the fuss back in the West - shouldn't we just accept the fact that xenophobia/racism is a reality of life?
It seems to me like you're trying to get other people to justify your wanting to even the score. You should just remember the good times and avoid going back if you didn't like it so much.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,122,873 times
Quote:

isn't that racist?

Where the heck do you live? I am currently in China, I have been in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore and I experience pretty much no racism.

In China I get stared at once in a while, especially from children, but who cares. Sometimes it is kinda cute. Sometimes they may try to overcharge me, but I know the price. If you know the local prizes, then you will get local prizes. Also, there are other ways in China to get things cheap. For instance I payed $65 for a spa online for valentines day, but if I went there without ordering it would cost $140.

And I have experienced no racial slurs. The only time I experienced anything here was from some Germans on the great wall, who stood in the way taking pictures, and we asked if they could let us pass.

Also, just because some people are racists, does not give you the right to be racist.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Of course it is racist. But many liberals don't care. It's like how they cheered the President of Mexico giving a speech in our Congress about how terrible Arizona's immigration laws were while his own country's immigration laws are an order of magnitude more strict. Did any of those liberals go "Hey, why are you here complaining about one of our states hassling hispanics when your own police jail people without papers? Isn't that hypocritical of you?" Nope. They just stood there and applauded.

Once a liberal has given you victimhood status then you are given a free pass for behavior that would be seen as horrible were a nonvictim to do it. Female teachers can have sex with underage students and be encouraged to do it. Gay people can have regular pride parades whereas a straight pride parade would be unthinkably homophobic. Obama made a speech about Israel going back to the 1967 borders even as terrorists within those borders launched rocket attacks.

The urban dictionary on White Guilt: a belief, often subconscious, among white liberals that being white is, in and of itself, a great transgression against the rest of the world for which one must spend their life making atonement. It is often exemplified by embracing the cultures and philosophies of various other ethnic groups while neglecting one's own roots.
No, the point is, if he's angry about racism in Thailand, he had the opportunity to stay there and speak out about it. I actually know of a guy who did that in another Asian country - became a bit of a celebrity even. He hasn't radically changed society, but he's raised a lot of awareness about the problems foreigners face. The OP could do that; instead he's just crying about it and seems to be seeking support for mistreating people here who've had nothing to do with whatever problems he faced overseas. It's like going around and cutting in front of some random shopper in the check out line today to protest that someone did it to you at some other supermarket yesterday. It makes absolutely no sense. But then again, some of the people posting on this thread probably aren't capable of basic reasoning, either.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,870,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Perhaps you can fill us in on the slurs used.
Thailand: farang = white fruit
Cambodia: barang = frenchman

Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,539,924 times
Quote:

isn't that racist?

you're in their country. in this country (usa) the majority of us have decided we don't want to be rude, racist, and discriminatory in practice, even if that's not always how we feel personally. in russia, not a western country, but european, gangs of ethnic russians beat asians and muslims. what is really your point?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,870,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Or we could go the other direction and hold ourselves to a higher standard.

[just because there a axxholes out there doesn't mean we have to be one]
for what purpose?

let's say I''m ill where I live and have to use the state hospital.

1. I have to pay 3 times the rate as a local
2. The hospital is only in real operation due to aid money.

how does that work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies